Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New (to me) Sony G70's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I think it's going to be something that is adjusted via the projector keypad controls, and probably not by any mechanical adjustments within the chassis.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah a sure fire way of ruining the machine is start twiddling trim-pots inside the machine.

The G2 controls are in the service menu , accessed thru key-pad
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
yeah a sure fire way of ruining the machine is start twiddling trim-pots inside the machine.

Only if I have a certain version though right? If my firmware is too new I can't do it?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
draganm wrote:

Only if I have a certain version though right? If my firmware is too new I can't do it?
that's what I recall, been years since I had a G70 here

hopefully you have the older firmware
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
draganm wrote:

that's what I recall, been years since I had a G70 here

hopefully you have the older firmware

And if I don't I'm SOL? What do people do when they need their G2 adjusted? This is weird. At least with the GDM monitors you could adjust it using a proper jig and WinDAS.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wondering if it could be my RGB board? Adjusting the brightness produces weird visual artifacts in blue and green...
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Also wondering if it could be my RGB board? Adjusting the brightness produces weird visual artifacts in blue and green...

could be, the input board, can't even remember the name now, BA? it was prone to failure as well as the PA, DC, + the Horizontal and vertical focus but less often.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

could be, the input board, can't even remember the name now, BA? it was prone to failure as well as the PA, DC, + the Horizontal and vertical focus but less often.

Yes, I think that's the right board. So far I've eliminated that it's not the tubes and it's not the neckboards. No idea if it's the PA board, but somehow I'm thinking that it's not. The whole projector has no problem powering on and it doesn't seem to exhibit power issues. I'll take some photos of what I'm experiencing and hopefully someone can give a good idea.

For now, I'm reassembling the non-functioning projector and will be diagnosing why it won't boot (error code 26 - non-grounded lenses, but as far as I could tell at the time, they were grounded). I'll be putting in the used tubes and see if I see a difference in the video output. The artifacts I'm mentioning were in the used and new tubes, so I know it's not the tubes (same with the retrace lines).
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well so much for that idea. I reconnected the used tubes to the not-working projector and fired it up and was greeted to Error Codes 33 and 34. I powered on a couple more times and definitely heard arcing. Well... So much for my plans of getting it working to see if it has the same brightness issue as the other one...

I'll shoot a picture of it later today, but here's the brightness issue.

I turn up brightness beyond 35 or so (doesn't matter if the CRT is in ABG mode or not), and as soon as I turn it passed that, two things happen:

1. Green and blue get something dark creeping along the image on the left hand side. Higher I crank the brightness, the more the image creep becomes apparent. I've watched it with a movie for the heck of it, and it's very distracting. Turning up the bias on blue and green accentuates the problem. Red does not have this issue.

2. While displaying a white on black background crosshatch, if I turn up the brightness, the green and blue crosshatch start to fade. Turning down the brightness makes the crosshatch appear strong.

Pictures are coming later of the projector and the visual screen. I'm a little frustrated at this point because before I can mount this guy and hang it, I need to square away the visual anomalies.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing - blanking the video doesn't do anything to fix the problem. The problem follows the blanking.

Double - EDIT: The working projector also seems to be running different C-Blocks. The Red C-Block appears to be the old kind, and the other two are the new kind. Would this be affecting anything?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised - screenshots:

All of these were taken with ABG set to OFF. Turning on ABG doesn't alleviate the problem, but it doesn't make it worse either.

The first screen below shows what the screen looks like at Bright = 35. I believe I took the picture with ABG off. There are no artifacts yet...

Turning up the brightness, we have this artifact on the left side of the screen. It looks like a shadow of sorts:

And here's the artifact with higher exposure time to accentuate what I'm seeing in the screen:

Only green and blue have this problem. Red is unaffected. This happened with both newer and used tubes. Swapping the green neckboard did nothing to help the problem either. Not sure where to go next.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I figured this out it seems. I swapped in a "newer" c-block on the red tube and now it's displaying the same behavior as the other tubes. So it appears that I will need to either swap RGB boards or procure older c-blocks for green and blue. How much do C-blocks cost? Does anyone here have a couple of older c-blocks that work that they're not using?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well I have it finally narrowed down. Changing RGB boards did nothing to alleviate the problem. When I tested the older C-block in another tube (blue this time) the problem went away with blue and and stayed with green and red. So I think I can safely say I need the older C-blocks to get this machine fully functional. I guess I should hit up the FS/FT? Curt - do you have any older blocks?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G70 is now hanging from the ceiling. Woohoo! I got two old-style neckboards from Curt and now the projector is working like it should. Now the real work begins.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
G70 is now hanging from the ceiling. Woohoo! I got two old-style neckboards from Curt and now the projector is working like it should. Now the real work begins.
congrats, that was not an easy problem to nail down.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I have it on my brown wall and even then it looks great! I was actually thinking about painting part of the wall white. Is there a good, cheap house paint that would work well as a projection surface? Should I ask this in the screen forum?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matte white paint is fine, no need to spend $$ on special screen paint.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Sweet! Another dumb question... My brown wall has some texture... Will there be a paint that can get rid of that? Or is there a paint technique to getting it nice and smooth?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I sold all of my ebay pre-2002 projectors (when I bought a house) with screen shots on a beige wall. Short of sanding, I don't know what you can do about the texture, but if it helps, you most likely won't see it when the movie is on. Otherwise, consider making up a lightweight 1 X 2 frame stretched with screen material that you can remove and store if a permanent screen isn't an option.

Should be about $100 to DIY.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Sweet! Another dumb question... My brown wall has some texture... Will there be a paint that can get rid of that? Or is there a paint technique to getting it nice and smooth?
a nice roll-up screen is a whopping $250., why Fug around with a wall?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hey, I sold all of my ebay pre-2002 projectors (when I bought a house) with screen shots on a beige wall. Short of sanding, I don't know what you can do about the texture, but if it helps, you most likely won't see it when the movie is on. Otherwise, consider making up a lightweight 1 X 2 frame stretched with screen material that you can remove and store if a permanent screen isn't an option.

Should be about $100 to DIY.

Sounds like a good idea. Wife and I were thinking about getting a board, spraying it white, and nailing it to the wall. Could also be something to do, as we have a couple of holes in the wall where the previous owners mounted a (shudder) LCD flat panel. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: