Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Current surround sound receiver model

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Current surround sound receiver model Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, I have a commercial client that has set up a 7.1 system in a gymnasium. With no room treatment, it sounds pretty bad as you can imagine. They use it all the time though, but want it upgraded. They are running a Harman AVR645 right now with.. <drumroll please>... composite video switching! In fact, they don't even use the Harman as a video switcher, they manually switch RCA cables between a VHS machine and DVD player. Yes, it's a small town. Mr. Green

The projector is a 6 year old 6000 lumen Eiki with DVI input.

So here's what I am suggesting...

-add some room treatment via acoustic panels that I have a supplier for
-take down the rear surrounds, and go to a 5.1 system, which will most likely sound better due to less speakers in the reverberant room.
Then, either go with a video scaler to upscale everything to HDMI to the projector,or get a new AV receiver with upscaling for their VHS machine, and install a Bluray player as well,and a VGA input for their computers (and an HDMI input as well on the gym floor)

It has to be BULLETPROOF! I am leaning towards an upscaling AV receiver, but don't know how many will have a VGA input. Unfortunately, with the Lumagens not having front panel pushbuttons, they are out. I could use an industrial scaler, like a Kramer or Extron, have easy to read pushbuttons on the front, then send the audio to the existing H/K which will only be used for surround sound processing.

I am however leaning towards an AV receiver, as the front panel display is alphanumeric and programmable, and rotating the source selection switch would change inputs. The front panel HAS to be clean though like the old H.K AVR receivers, I don't need anyone pushing a tape monitor button, then screaming for help. This place is 3 hours out of town, I can't afford warranty service calls.

So, what I need:

-video, VGA and HDMI inputs, with upscaling, most likely to 720p only, as that's what their projector is.
-1 or 2 HDMI outputs
-5.1 preamp outputs, as they use powered speakers in the room along with a subwoofer amp
-super simplistic AV switching

I could probably go used, but I don't want to run into HDMI board problems which is what plagued Pioneer and Onkyo a few years ago.

Whatcha got?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts...

No reason to take down the surround-back speakers. The acoustic treatments should improve the sound; if they do, the rear fill might be nice depending on the shape of the room. Either way, no need to deinstall them; simply turn them off in the AVR's surround setup. Leaving them in would at least allow you to A-B test with/without after the acoustic treatments are installed and see which way sounds better.

I like your idea of letting the AVR do the switching - just twist the knob. Stupid simple operation. Simple is good.

You don't need a preamp or receiver with a VGA input, though. Just use a good VGA-to-HDMI A/D converter; VGA input, HDMI output, and connected to one of the preamp/AVR inputs. Kramer, Extron, Atlona, Gefen all make good converters with audio and scaling.

Very few AVR's have preamp outputs until you get up there in the range, and then you'll be getting close to what an entry-level prepro costs.

How about a Denon DN-500AV? $900 retail. Pro/commercial market product. Balanced outs only. The only other pro/commercial market product that isn't mega-bucks is the Onkyo PR-SC5530, and even it would be massive overkill. That leaves some consumer gear...

The Marantz SR-6010 front panel is stupid-simple without the door dropped down - two knobs - and is their lowest-end AVR with pre-outs. It's $1400 MSRP, the problem I was talking about earlier.

The cheapest Denon with pre-outs would be the AVR-X3200W at $999. Yamaha and Onkyo/Integra all have similar offerings that would work. The Onkyo TX-RZ800 has preouts, but the front panel is a little busy. Integra is a dealer-only product, but like the Onkyo it has a lot of buttons on the front panel.

I'd probably lean toward the Marantz SR-6010, or if the client is OK with it, accessories4less has the 6009 as a factory refurb for $499, which is a total steal.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6009/marantz-sr6009-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-bonus-hdmi-cables-100-value/1.html

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I've actually been leaning towards the scaler, just because it's most likely going to outlast any consumer AV receiver, and the HK that they have is a pretty bulletproof unit. I've got a call into Kramer to make sure it will strip/switch the audio from every input type, but I think it does. Will look at your suggestions as well though.

Cheers!
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea to go 5.1 and lessen the rear speakers. Being a gymnasium, the average HT Receiver would not have the delay for rear speakers that would be needed for that size room. And even for the two 5.1 rears, you may still have to add a delay. Not sure if it's not already in the one you're looking to upgrade to.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my gut reaction, but Steve is right. Leave the speakers installed, try them, and disconnect them if it sounds worse.

I am quoting in a Rane HAL system as well with touch screens with multiple presets to reconfigure the sound system (they also have a separate in-ceiling speaker system) depending on the function. If they spend the $$, they will LOVE it! The Rane is super intuitive to use, and the touch panel is dirt cheap compared to a Crestron system.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hal would be perfect with its powerful DSP drop in processor features, and because of that you'll have the flexibility to do whatever and it'll meet any room or configuration need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: