Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Tube face

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Tube face Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone know how hot the tube housing gets on a A/C marquee? IR gun readout?

Thanks,

Mak
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The core fans force air through the tube covers, but the tube face certainly warms up after a while. I have not seen any precise measurements on that.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without coolant, and driven hard, it can get hot enough to break the tube face via thermal expansion.

The good thermal conductivity of the aluminum casting filled with ethylene glycol pretty much guarantees that
whatever the casting temperature reaches, the tube face won't be too far from the same temperature.

So stick your thermocouple on the cooling fins on the casting and add a few degrees.

I don't know the exact value but I doubt it ever gets above 120 degrees. Call it 40 to 50 degrees above
ambient temperature.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

The reason I ask is that Kurt suggested I block the stray light from the tubes. I made some tin shields and painted them flat black. Unfortunately they have little give and I am considering alternative materials to enclose the lens to tube housing. Just don't want to have a molten mess if it gets to hot.

MAK
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine, it'll never get that hot no matter what!

Yes, it can only help matters to black out everything that the light from the CRT face can touch, except for the lenses, of course!

If you have an 8500, use flat black spray paint on the tube mount frames and lens mounts, and the upper and lower mounting plates as well.

On a 9500, when I replace the glycol in a tube I always paint the exposed aluminum surface in the LC chamber with VHT black epoxy paint, which not only helps control light and improve contrast, it also make the glycol last a LOT longer as it stops the glycol from eventually eating through the anodized coating and attacking the aluminum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: