Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ripped CDs to casting onto analog AVR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Ripped CDs to casting onto analog AVR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Morning All,

I am still preparing to try and use a Chromecast Audio plugged into the CD input on an old Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX AVR. I originally ripped the CD's via the wife's 2011 iMac and the music is on her iPhone and newest iPad. I would like the ability to cast music from these iDevices through the AVR, which has no digital interfaces (except SPIDF).

Other than using Chromecast Audio, is there another option? Mind you this AVR has no video connections as the only other input device is a turntable.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth?

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B00YCWEBSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462799099&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+transmitter

and one of these to plug it in:

https://www.amazon.ca/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1462799263&sr=8-7&keywords=3.5mm+to+2+RCA

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's using an iPhone and iPad, AirPlay to an Airport Express is the easiest, highest-quality option, with none of Bluetooth's hinkyness. That would give you SPDIF, too.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Chromecast Audio is worthless. I do not know a single person with ripped or purchased music on their iDevices that disn't go through iTunes, but apparently the support for iDevices is only if iTunes wasn't used. Returning it promptly tomorrow.

Instead, I'll just repurpose one of the three Apple TV 3rd generation units to video headless audio mirroring. I can use its SPIDF output into the AVR.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I connected the Apple TV to the local LAN and the iDevices see it. I cannot get audio to come out of the SPIDF on any of the SPIDF inputs on the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. I took the Apple TV into another room and connected it to a TV (music area has no TV), did a software update, but there is nothing to hard set the audio output to SPIDF.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Hmm, I connected the Apple TV to the local LAN and the iDevices see it. I cannot get audio to come out of the SPIDF on any of the SPIDF inputs on the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. I took the Apple TV into another room and connected it to a TV (music area has no TV), did a software update, but there is nothing to hard set the audio output to SPIDF.

Did you try connecting it via SPDIF when it was connected to a TV so you could see what's going on?

As far as I can remember, the optical SPDIF output is basically hot all the time, even when an HDMI device is connected. The only setting relating to the SPDIF output is whether it outputs Dolby Digital or not (Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Digital), but I'm pretty sure it's outputting PCM all the time.

If it was connected and working, it should be making "blip" sounds when you push "menu" on the remote, too. That's the only problem with using the Apple TV headless... All the configuration and status is on-screen. I guess if the iOS devices can see it and select it as an Airplay output, you know it's on the network, but you'll be pretty clueless otherwise.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Okay a KISS moment Reply with quote

Keep It Simple, Stupid

Apparently the volume control when mirroring through the Apple TV has changed. Before it use to automatically maximize volume on the iDevice, but now it doesn't and is also different for different apps.

I barely noticed it this afternoon when the virtual volume for iTunes app was set to minimum--YT app was set to somewhere in the middle.

... raising volume up from zero ... music comes out of speakers. Caveman, and woman, happy. Mr. Green

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: