Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

For sale: 1 RGB set of perfect P19LUGs in Marquee housings

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: For sale: 1 RGB set of perfect P19LUGs in Marquee housings Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After spending days and days working on testing CRTs and preparing them for use, I'm now pleased to announce
that I have potted up the first complete red, green, and blue set of fully tested, absolutely FLAWLESS P19LUG CRTs.

Since I have not less than seven fully tested sets of these tubes in hand right now, I can offer you a set either
potted into Marquee LC assemblies or as bare tubes.

Here is the pricing: 400 dollars per CRT if supplied bare. Bare includes a new anode lead. 1200 dollars per set.

Shipping is FREE but only if your shipping address is in the United States or Canada.

If I have to provide the Marquee LC chamber assembly, C element, and magnetics, that's an extra 100 dollars per tube.

If you have an assembly to exchange, it's only an extra 50 dollars to cover my labor plus to cover the disposal fee
for the dud CRT. I am a responsible individual and do not throw away CRTs as they are hazardous waste. They go
to properly licensed disposal facilities and intake sites.

I will ship Marquee CRT assemblies to you in VDC approved shipping boxes with custom fitted foam inserts. They're well proven to be a safe way to ship CRTs without breakage. (But there is always some breakage risk. Every CRT shipped will be fully insured.)

I will need my shipping boxes back from you when you have received your tubes. Those boxes are in short supply.

Need the CRTs potted into non-Marquee hardware? I've never done it. Ask me. I'll consult with a subject matter expert
(such as Curt Palme) and see if I can or will do that for you.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Running LUGs in a Marquee requires a small mod to each neckboard of the 2038 or 2039 type; pin 6 of the tube socket must be drilled out so the G2 jumper wire can connect to the tube pin 6. The newest neckboard types may require reconfiguring some jumpers on the board; I do not have that info maybe CM has it.

LUGs can also take an 8500 to 9500 spec; you will need full magnetics and covers on the tubes, some different aluminum mounting plates that the tubes sit on, and some HD10-series LC lenses. The improvement in black level and overall image quality are worth it. Also, eight inch tubes are becoming very scarce as they have not been made for five or six years now.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tim, for your comments. You filled in a few gaps that someone who has 8" or 9" "regular" LCP owners would need to know.

Yes, the neck board mod is very, very simple. Unsolder and remove the pin 6 socket and drill out the socket hole, to 1/8" if I remember the size correctly.

I can perform this mod for you at no charge if you buy the tubes from me and send me your neck cards. I will also replace the two
electrolytic caps on the neck cards, also at no charge, as part of the process. If they haven't been done, they need to be done. It's about time for it, for sure.

As Tim mentioned, an 8" to 9" conversion requires different upper and lower mounting plates. I can get them, either from VDC
or have them made locally by a machine shop that has actually made them FOR VDC if my information is correct, that is, if you need them. (Only if doing the 8" to 9" conversion.)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say CM

I have replaced hundreds of neckboard electrolytic caps; 33mfd is recommended by Mike Parker as the caps power the spot-kill for several seconds at power-off.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently installing 47 uf caps because it was the only 100 volt rated 105 degree C rated cap my local parts house was stocking that was bigger than 10 uF and smaller than 68 uF. I'd have done 22s or 33s if they'd had any. I don't think that going up to 47 actually can do any harm at all. I've seen 100s installed before. I think that's overkill. Make that cap too big and it should start negatively affecting impulse response.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to offers but please be reasonable. I'm already offering these tubes for the lowest price you have probably EVER seen
for tested and flawless P19LUGs so don't be at all surprised if I am reluctant to accept a lowball offer.
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm currently installing 47 uf caps because it was the only 100 volt rated 105 degree C rated cap my local parts house was stocking that was bigger than 10 uF and smaller than 68 uF.

Hi,

Those caps should be rated at 160V. 100V doesn't leave enough security margin. Christie and VDC recommended replacing the 22µF/100V with 22µF/160V. This is reflected in the schematics too...

Regards,
barclay66

VNB_85.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.58 KB
 Viewed:  11590 Time(s)

VNB_85.jpg

View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an 85 volt rail that never spikes higher. 100 volts is enough, particularly if you run 105C rated caps.

There is no verifiable reason to significantly over-specify capacitors by voltage rating.

In fact, they might not work properly if they're rated for several times the voltage they're being asked to handle.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, do as You like.
I just wanted to help but You seem to know everything already. That entitles You to ignore any proven procedure...
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those caps should be at least 160 volt rating. Not really sure why the voltage rating should be higher, and why that's also the case in all of those high frequency video circuits. But if you put 100vdc caps there, they won't last long at all.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm not at all opposed to listening to the voice of experience, and I'd put in 160 volt rated caps if I had them, but they didn't, so I figured that the 100 volt rated caps should be sufficient.

So if Mike says put in 160s, then I'll do it. I'd still like to understand why 100 volt rated caps aren't good enough for an 85 volt circuit, though.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It seems that it's about leakage current and service life. The leakage current depends on the voltage applied and will rise significantly starting at about 50% of the capacitor's rated value (see page 4 of the PDF). The higher the leakage current is, the more self-heating (of course, the bigger factor here is ripple current) will occur and this will reduce the usable lifespan.
In addition, with the higher voltage rating comes bigger size and this usually is beneficial regarding ESR.

BTW: The most seemingly illogical capacitor selection is to be found on the Convergence Amplifier board. There You will find 10µF capacitors connected to a 24V supply and those caps are rated at 250V!
Nobody has been able to explain this to me and my belief is that the selection was made having the lower ESR of those big caps in mind...

Regards,
barclay66

3-Jianghai-Europe-E-Cap-Voltage-Proof-AAL-2012-10-30.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3-Jianghai-Europe-E-Cap-Voltage-Proof-AAL-2012-10-30.pdf
 Filesize:  424.29 KB
 Downloaded:  579 Time(s)

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you think about what the convergence system has to do, you soon realize that it doesn't ONLY have to make 45 corrections per frame, it has to make up to nine corrections PER SCAN LINE. That's 583,200 corrections per second at 1080p.

(1080 x 60 FPS x 9 adjustments per scan line)

We don't think about convergence being super high bandwidth or all that critical, but throwing a magnetic field around with that
kind of precision at that rate does require some good engineering and well thought out circuits. I can see how low ESR caps would be helpful in this situation.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, these tubes, if shipped as BARE tubes, without LC hardware attached, weigh 7 pounds packed and ready for
shipment, in a box measuring 24x12x12 inches. They would ship from Florida, USA, zip code 32937.

That's PER TUBE.

With this information you can now estimate shipping costs.

9" LC assemblies WITHOUT shrouds or magnetics increase the weight by another 10 pounds. Include magnetics and it's yet another pound. (I don't have shrouds...I wish. I am looking for some.)

So a 9" LC assembly with magnetics has a shipping weight of about 19 pounds. (Gotta include the weight of the coolant, you know.)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some of these tubes as full sets, speak up, because as the TV ads say, "Supplies are limited. Act now!". I have up to FIVE Marquees to retube and convert to 9500LC Ultras. (Some are already Ultras, others are not. ) This will use up MOST of my top performing tubes, leaving not very many sets to sell off separately.

I finished off the first projector's basic refurb and testing tonight. With that being done I'm moving on to projector 2 right away.

Once I stick tubes in a projector, those tubes are off the market. So don't spend TOO much time thinking about it.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
9" LC assemblies WITHOUT shrouds or magnetics increase the weight by another 10 pounds. Include magnetics and it's yet another pound. (I don't have shrouds...I wish. I am looking for some.
I could use a clean Blue tube, consider trading for some shrouds and covers?

what's a set worth to you (PM me )

thx
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PMs.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples of what I got today....

Nine perfect Mikado green LUGs. Five of them still have the protective film on the faces.

I have to test them, they were rejected for simulator use for some various reasons. Usually it's because
they're too sensitive and take very little G2 and drive. Which is anything BUT a bad thing, but they don't like that in
projectors used in simulators as it means that the initial run-in period will have the color shifting around too much,
too fast.

After about the first 50 to 100 hours of use they settle down to normal setting ranges.

mikadogreenface.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.66 KB
 Viewed:  11143 Time(s)

mikadogreenface.jpg

mikadogreenssix.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.83 KB
 Viewed:  11143 Time(s)

mikadogreenssix.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that cmjohnson has been banned from the forum and will not be able to read or reply to any PMs. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41307

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: