Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

doubts calibration some sources

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jose carlosv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: doubts calibration some sources Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
First of all hello, i am a new member in the fórum, my name is Jose and i am from Spain.

i am new in the world of calibration too but i think it is fascinating so i am trying to learn as much as i can.

Finally i decided to buy a LG OLED, and as i can see it is clearly that if i make a good calibration of my tv i can have even a better picture quality.

I have a old Toshiba LCD 32" to train, but i have some doubts.

Now i am using a Xrite i1 display pro and AVSHD 709 calibration disc plus HCFR sofware to training myself in the Toshiba.
The source is a LG BP740.

As much as i know i need to make a calibration to each source, is that correct?
In my particular case if i make a calibration and then change for example LG BP740 for another BD players like Samsung, Panasonic, Sony etc maybe the settings are incorrect in the tv, is this right?

I have an old betamax collection, is a pal system.

How i can calibrate the tv for this source? Maybe using a PAL DVD pattern as a reference?

Hope you can help me.
thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: doubts calibration some sources Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Jose!

jose carlosv wrote:
As much as i know i need to make a calibration to each source, is that correct? In my particular case if i make a calibration and then change for example LG BP740 for another BD players like Samsung, Panasonic, Sony etc maybe the settings are incorrect in the tv, is this right?

Each display needs to be independently calibrated. Most people do have different calibrations for each source however. That's certainly something you can try (if you display supports a per-input calibration or you have an easy way to toggle back and forth).

Most people do not different calibrations for a display for each source because it's a pain and more importantly: Because most sources will provide similar signal levels if things are set the same between sources. For example, many sources will let you choose between a 0-255 or 16-235 signal range. Set all your sources the same way and calibrate to that. I would also turn off any image enhancement features or similar in the source that could affect greyscale/colour/gamma. Just have the source send the signal "pure".

Quote:
I have an old betamax collection, is a pal system.
How i can calibrate the tv for this source? Maybe using a PAL DVD pattern as a reference?

I would simply calibrate the display using your 'best' source (likely Blu-ray or similar) and be done with. You'll likely get 99% of the way there with other sources.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jose carlosv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for help me.
i just read the grayscale calibration for dummies and i believe to understand that d65 grayscale is independent of gamut and is the same in SD and HD.
So if i can calibrate properly the grayscale, and if i make a good calibration of REC709 to my best source (in my case the LG BLURAY), PAL gamut and REC709 gamut are not much different like REC709 and NTSC so maybe i have a good start point to see the SD and my old betamax tapes whit HD calibration settings
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I would be more concerned with calibrating to REC709 for HD/Blu-ray. Betamax will look so terrible in comparison already that you probably won't care if the calibration is slightly off. Wink

Kal

jose carlosv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all.
I have a last doubt.
Is correct to say that if you see a upscaled DVD in a bluray player this source converts PAL gamut in my case in REC709 HD gamut?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. That would depend on what the Blu-ray player does. I doubt any player does any sort of gamut conversion.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: