Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Old Vision

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Old Vision Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello Everyone,

I just got this 30 Years old Barco Vision projector, reading through this site I didn't understand what is required to make it show something.

"Generally speaking, the Vision projectors accepted a video only signal either video a composite video connector, possibly an S-video connector or via an RGB input. Remember that these sets were made pre-1990 generally and back then, video signals could be given via an RGB signal, but the resolution was limited to 320 X 240. (back in the early days of computers, that was high resolution!). Even the sets that are labelled ‘HDTV’ on the case such as the Vision 1500, the resolution maxed out at 640 X 480, and cannot sync to a modern day HDTV signal."

"Barco then came out with the Barco 400 and Barco 600 video projectors. The 400 and 600 are very similar in design and performance. They use 7” SD-187 Sony tubes with ES focus, have analog convergence, and scan to 64 Khz with 600 lumens light output. Thousands have been sold, and many are on the surplus market. These projectors must be used in conjunction with either a little plug in controller module on the back of the projector, or with a Barco RCVDS 4 switcher unit that acts as a video selector and video to RGB decoder. Note that these two projectors usually only have the RGB inputs working despite the fact that they have video input connectors on the projector. The video card was an option on these sets, and hardly any of the sets I get in have had this video card installed. Also, most of the surplus projectors do not come with the plug in controller or with the RCVDS 4 unit, so you may end up needing more components before you get a watchable picture."

So.....is this the case with the early Vision model? does it require a switcher?
Need to say that the dots pattern does appear on the CRT's but not on wall

Thanks for any help.

Barco 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.1 KB
 Viewed:  4801 Time(s)

Barco 4.jpg

Barco 6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.74 KB

Barco 6.jpg

Barco 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.88 KB

Barco 5.jpg

Barco 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.29 KB

Barco 3.jpg

Barco 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.58 KB

Barco 1.jpg

Barco .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.88 KB

Barco .jpg

Barco 7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.57 KB

Barco  7.jpg

Barco 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.72 KB

Barco  2.jpg

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an RCA to BNC adaptor and try the video port with a Composite CVBS signal, that's the yellow jack on a DVD player.

Neat find!

medium_BNC_Male_to_RCA_Female_Adaptor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.48 KB
 Viewed:  4778 Time(s)

medium_BNC_Male_to_RCA_Female_Adaptor.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really weird isn't it that they still have a composite video jack on new players, 480i VCR video resolution from the 1980's.

Nickey people are throwing away better sets than this, post your location (city/state) and we can probably find something way better set for you.
You want 1080i capable minimum IMO
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang! 30 years and still kicking!! connected the BNC to the RCA (video out) and picture came up, no need to set color convergence!.... i'll be damned, Analog does Rock!.
digging into the history of this machine, it was purchased by the university of Tel Aviv for one of the conference rooms, purchased by my customer on July 1998 which took to the local dealer to service it, after that he never actualize is plan to build a projection room so he stored it away till now, boy, talking about a barn find!
The red tube is flickering which I guess is reasonable for capacitors this age, the blue tube got air bubbles in the hose and it doesn't seem to move, what's the deal with this water? Shocked Thumbs Up

Barco WOW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140 KB
 Viewed:  4712 Time(s)

Barco WOW.jpg

Nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm I still remember the days when you purchased a CD Rom reader to install in your computer and the drivers came ...well in a CD, now that's weird.
BTW if you by chance come to Jerusalem in ISRAEL maybe we can meet and then you can offer me a replacement..... Smile
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, your in Israel. That's too bad, not much we can do unless you find someone to build a shipping crate and even then the freight will be a lot.

Congratulations on getting it running though, have fun!
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh you got video on a Barco special Video without the little box or the big external connection box/controller on that empty 25? pin plug labelled 'remote'?!

'Fungus' well it is a reaction of the aluminum chamber and the water/glycol mix.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need that little plug in on the connector on the back. I think I still have one here for a Barco 600, not sure if it will work on the old Vision, but I think it will.
Nickey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to do something with the water/glycol mix? flushing?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickey wrote:
Do I need to do something with the water/glycol mix? flushing?
only if it's cloudy or turned yellow.

there shouldn't be any water, but the Glycol is extremely Hygroscopic, so will absorb water thru the rubber seals.

Empty, rinse with isopropyl alcohol, and refill with either "TV coolant" or Ice Clear non toxic Glycerin based coolant
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: