Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

When was the last time you needed to do this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: When was the last time you needed to do this? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Was just listening to cassettes. Pulled out my new ( to me ) BAD Company tape and needed to tighten up the loos tape. Funny but under the tape deck there was a pen. Perfect!!

When was the last time you needed to do that? Very Happy

900DSCF8731_BADco.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.83 KB
 Viewed:  12276 Time(s)

900DSCF8731_BADco.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never! My Nakamichi automatically tensions the tape, and I'm not fool enough to store a cassette mid-tape so that some cool part of a song gets damaged. So there! Razz
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Never! My Nakamichi automatically tensions the tape, and I'm not fool enough to store a cassette mid-tape so that some cool part of a song gets damaged. So there! Razz

Reel to Reel tail out Very Happy

When I get a new ( old ) tape like this I always FF and REW twice before playing. First however I tension the tape.

You know this Pioneer deck may just have the auto tension feature. It does everything else.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ran through 5 cassette decks for a customer/buddy of mine yesterday. All need belts, so I've got 10 of each on order. Repairs are through the roof at this point, but I only do them when I have time. So I order belts by the 10-lot as the price comes way down. I still hate repairing cassette decks over RTRs.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bought into cassette tapes. Went from 8-track and vinyl to CD, back to vinyl.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the pre-recorded tapes, I always used the good quality blank tapes and recorded off my records. The sound quality was much better and tape/mechanism never gave me any problems.

We even took it to the extreme for car audio back in the 70's and 80's. My brother and I would use inverters so we could run a house stereo amp and record player.
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1989 suburban that is all conversion-van styled (with the disco lights inside, etc) -- something like the starsky and hutch car, but in red and white and on a truck. Anyway, I put maybe 500 miles on it each year as it is a junk and dumpster-diving enabler/3rd vehicle if one is in the shop. Since I'm not in it much, I've never bothered replacing/enhancing the factory radio. I only listen to cassettes I made in the late 80s/early 1990s -- the expensive maxell tapes have held up. Remember the CaseLogic cases -- three of them live in the truck!

So, yep, I do the pen thing sometimes still as the auto-reverse sometimes goes off falsely...

Matt
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I never bought into cassette tapes. Went from 8-track and vinyl to CD, back to vinyl.

LOL, exactly the same story here!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time you needed to do this? Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Was just listening to cassettes. Pulled out my new ( to me ) BAD Company tape and needed to tighten up the loos tape. Funny but under the tape deck there was a pen. Perfect!!

When was the last time you needed to do that? Very Happy

And uggg. I am never touching a tape again if I can help it. I understand the vinyl resurgence, but tapes and their hiss just want to make me pretend they never happened.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're rumbling in an old truck with the windows down, Johnny Cash belting out Folsom Prison Blues sounds fine with hiss, etc. Plus, with me singing along as I drive, the sound is truly awful for other reasons. Wink

I made a lot of the tapes from my dad's vinyl and many of the albums weren't on CD in 1988-1990 when I made them. My Fuzzy Mountain String Band tape didn't come out on CD until the 1995, for example. The Eggplant that Ate Chicago song was one that took me a long time to find, too.

Matt
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on converting some of the older vynl I have to digital soon

Last vehicle I bought with a cassette deck was my truck(which now has the factory nav which is soon to be replaced with a aftermarket unit since the gps quit)

I rarely even used the tape deck except one or twice and I think it was for my iPod the second time

Ever since its been iPod only through the media gateway(though the truck has seen a LOT more miles since then it still runs great for a 03 with 230k plus miles)

Ps Matt next time your in my area give me a call I found that spare hvps and a board along with the back to the ecp you bought from me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: