Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Up & running again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Up & running again! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Replaced my 15 year old Sony 1272 with my "new" spare 1272 I bought years ago.
Tech came over set it up. Not to hard getting the old one off the ceiling & the new one up on the ceiling. He Did a great job. He set up my first set to

The increase in brightness & contrast is amazing. Black level is perfect Picture is fantastic. I was pleased with my old pj, but really wowed by the newer one. Has 2000 hours on great shape crt's. I think the old one had like 7-8000 hours on it. It worked ok but there was a over current on a crt that left burnt lines on the crt's. Guess I'll keep it for parts.

I hope the new one last as long. Picture looks better than a $4000 Digital I saw in a store
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Up & running again! Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
The increase in brightness & contrast is amazing. Black level is perfect Picture is fantastic. I was pleased with my old pj, but really wowed by the newer one. Has 2000 hours on great shape crt's. I think the old one had like 7-8000 hours on it.
Larry the tubes in the electrostatic focusing sets lose both brightness and focusing ability as they age, that's why all the manufacturers switch to electromagnetic focus in the late 90's.
Sounds like your good for a few more years though

Last edited by draganm on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony 12xx sets were capable of a pretty amazing picture considering the build quality, ES focus, plastic lenses, lack of Scheimpflug, etc. If somebody works at setting them up, the results were damn impressive.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it would look better than a $4000 digital in a store unless the 12xx and installation were exceptional and the digital or installation was seriously pooched or had a terrible source on it... But, if you're happy, that's all that matters!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Crabb said. $4k nets you a JVC RS400. Outside of a 9" pj, i would take the JVC.
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ok you guys win, my projector is a piece of crap. But I'm not rich, I spent $300 getting it setup instead of $4000 on a new pj. shoot me
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm different from some people. I prefer the picture quality of a CRT and a 12xx is more than good enough for me to prefer its picture to that of any digital i've yet seen.

It also helps that the 1272 is sure to outlast multiple generations of digital projectors, starting from today, and not even counting the MANY generations of digitals it has ALREADY outlasted.

I had a 1272 for a little while. It was just a great projector, easy to use and easy to set up once you understand Sony's system of menus and buttons. NICE picture, very "warm", not at all "cold" like digitals offer.

I'm a Marquee man, and thus when I have encountered a Sony machine I eventually sold it or gave it to somebody else, but
they're really good projectors. If they're HD capable, then I'd take any of them over any digital I've yet seen.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
ok ok you guys win, my projector is a piece of crap. But I'm not rich, I spent $300 getting it setup instead of $4000 on a new pj. shoot me

I don't believe we said your pj is a piece of crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: