Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

9518LC - Adjust Start Pulse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haireez

TV/Projector: Vidikron Vision 1 - Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks to everyone for your contribution and concern. The set that I got from Curt was perfect and I'm extremely thankful to Curt for selling me at a very good price eventhough the shipping cost is very expensive to Singapore.

Just for clarity, I made a mistake when I assemble the unit to the ceiling. Everything is perfectly new and there's no leaking on the bellow. What happen is that I made some modifications to the top 3 fans + another fan that I installed on the rear heatsink (it was very quiet with my existing Vision 1). After installation, I start the machine and found the fans were extremely nosiy eventhough it has the same setup with my first Vision 1. Due to this, I took my existing Vison 1 modified fans and installed it right above the projector and disable the fans in the projector. I did not realised that the fans did not actually cooling the HDM and that why it shorted it. Julian was spot on when he was curious on why the HDM overheat.

By the way, I will buy some materials during the weekend and hope that the new HDM can be repaired. It is way too costly to ship one back to Curt (US)and ship it back to Singapore.

IMG-20160328-WA0003.jpg
 Description:
Disable the modified fans fron the unit and place the existing Vision one modified fans on top of the projector.
 Filesize:  131.91 KB
 Viewed:  7967 Time(s)

IMG-20160328-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160328-WA0002.jpg
 Description:
4th Fan at the back of rear heat sink
 Filesize:  122.13 KB
 Viewed:  7967 Time(s)

IMG-20160328-WA0002.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Here are some updates:

D21 - Not tested yet
D22 - Good as only 1 direction has reading.
R93, 96 & R1001 - Bad (no continuity & no reading)
R62 - Actual value 10.6ohm (specs: 10ohm) Not too sure good or bad.
R91- Actual value 1.6ohm (specs: 1ohm) Not too sure good or bad.
R98 - Actual value 220ohm (specs: 22ohm) not too sure why high but no continuity & I think it's bad.
Q20 - it's been removed from the board but not too sure how to check. Definitely no continuity between D & F. Appreciate if someone could show me how to check Q20.

Do take note that I remove one side of the resistor (de-solder) before taking measurement using a digital multimeter.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the colors of the tolerance bands on the resistor?

Silver, 10 percent.
Gold, 5 percent.
Black, 1 percent.

If the measured value is within the tolerance indicated by the tolerance band (fourth band) then the resistor is good.

A 1 ohm resistor measuring 1.6 ohms would be bad.

But before you assume it's bad, short your meter's probes together and ensure that the resulting reading is actually zero ohms.
If it's higher than that, then subtract that amount from any reading you make to get the true value.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CM,

You're right as when I probe them together, I'm getting 0.6ohm reading. So practically, R62 & 91 are good.

How do you measure Q20 then?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that sounds to be is less broken than it could have been.
Don't mind that 1.6 Ohms, it's pretty normal for a multimeter to be way off in the very low resistance ranges.
For a proof simply short the probes together. Do you read 0.0 Ohm? Mine are always like 0.2 or 0.3, somewhere in that range.
Quote:
R62 - Actual value 10.6ohm (specs: 10ohm) Not too sure good or bad.
R91- Actual value 1.6ohm (specs: 1ohm) Not too sure good or bad.

Leave them in.

Quote:
R93, 96 & R1001 - Bad (no continuity & no reading)

Ok, here lays the dog buried. Those 3 are in parallel, 1, 1 and 2.2 Ohms. Be sure to use 1/3 or 0.3W type resistors.
Any higher power rating will kill more on the board next time.

Quote:
R98 - Actual value 220ohm (specs: 22ohm) not too sure why high but no continuity & I think it's bad.

R98 is 10Ohms in my schematic. It's the gate resistor of Q20. Please link or pm your schematic and board number.
And tell me what type Q20 they used. Make sure to desolder one leg of the resistor to measure.

Go on testing the diodes.

Q20 (IRF730 or MTP5N40) is an N- channel MOSFET. Pins are Gate, Drain, Source.
It is a switching device, means you can switch it on or off. It will act like a capacitor, so once switched on, it will stay charged (=on) until you discharge it.
Charge via applying positive voltage to the gate, discharge by shorting all pins together. Source and Drain are the "higher power" pins, let's say output pins.
There's an additional diode, called body diode in it. Datasheet

Switch the meter into resistance mode, discharge the MOSFET and check ever pin combination you want. It should read OL everytime.

Now the real test.
Use your multimeter in diode test mode. R and B are the multimeter probes. G, D and S are the MOSFET pins.
Remove it from the PCB. Short all 3 pins together and remove that short again. It's discharged/ switched off now.
(Don't touch any other pin with the probes or your fingers. If you accidentally do, short the pins for a second and start again.)

R on D, B on S ; reads OL
R on S, B on D ; reads about 0.53V That's the body diode conducting.
Now we're gonna charge the gate and make the transistor turn on.
R on G, B on D, just for a second or two. Meter reads OL. It is now charged and you can measure conductivity from D to S.
R on S, B on D. Reads about 0.12V.
Don't wait too long between the last 2 steps, as it may discharge on its own.
You can check also between D and S the other direction. Charge, then R on D, B on S. About 0.46V.

Now short all 3 pins, then check again.
R on S, B on D. Reads 0.53 (bodydiode) again. R on D, B on S. Reads OL again.
If you can say yes to every step, the transistor is ok. If not, it's not.

Check youtube or various electronics forums for better explanations on MOSFETs or transistors in general.
Pretty good to know how to work with them.

Btw: I'm not in the mood to make anyone angry, but the idea with glycol in the HDM is a bit rash. You'd have to put the projector with the lenses facing upwards, who does that?

Oh and if R98 is broken, you could need a new MC34151P, the MOSFET driver IC.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes i do get the photo. You additionally use the original belly fans blowing down on top of the ceiling mounted pj?
They should be fitted tight to the chassis, the airpressure through those little holes in the sheet metal won't let enough
air pass through to cool the HDM and FGM.
If you want to discuss cooling, we should most likely use another thread, this one could get messy otherwise.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julian,

Latest update as per below:

D21 - value is 685 on diode mode
D22 - value is 683 on diode mode.
Bought a new BYV26B and result is 690 on diode mode. I think both are good unless you feedback otherwise. I bought new and can change it if need to.

R93, 96 & R1001 - All are bad. I bought 1ohm resistors for R93 & R96 but couldn't get 1/3 watts. They only have 1/4 watts. Anyway, I have bought them and do let me know if I can replace them.

As for R1001, they only have 1/4 watts and not 1/3 watts. Can I use this value of 1/4 instead of 1/3 watts?

R62 - Good - no need to replace.
R91- Good - no need to replace.

R98 - Bad, schematic drawing indicate as 10ohm but actual resistor colour code as Red Red Black Gold which is 22ohm. Anyway, I have bought 10ohm 1/2 watts as per drawing requirements but not too sure whether I should buy the actual resistor on the board. May need you to advise me on this.

As for IRF730, the shop doesn't have the exact mosfet but recommended me to use SSP6N60A (526) instead but I'm not too sure whether it's compatible.

I will wait for your advise before I proceed with the repair. If not compatible, let me know so that I could purchase them from Element 14 but it might take awhile before I could get them.

20160403_202704-1-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.6 KB
 Viewed:  7805 Time(s)

20160403_202704-1-1.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use that transistor. Check ebay for IRF730 or get one somewhere else.
The one you bought has different specs.
If you found a 22Ohms resistor as R98, replace it with a 22 Ohms. Do not use 10 Ohms,
we do not know which other parts are different between your HDM and the schematic.
1/4W is even not good. If you don't have the exact replacements, do not use the HDM.
BYV26B (and C) are 415mV drop. Could be you have another series or manufacturer than i have, the datasheet says 1.3V max.
I'd say the diodes are ok.

You can replace the 3 parallel resistors with a single one of 0.41 Ohms 1 W. That should be even harder to get and don't use the wire wound type.
Only metal film.
You can also use 4 1/4 W resistors in parallel, but make sure you get 0.407 Ohms resistance over all.
Don't measure, use Ohms law.
Your meter is not accurate at all in this low mode, especially not under 1 Ohm.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Julian,

I've already ordered from Element 14 yesterday for the correct value and will install once I have the materials.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask how to measure and check a transistor, then I would suggest, gently but strongly, that you do not attempt to repair the HDM yourself and just buy a tested good spare.

I predict spot burned tubes in your future.

Know the limits of your knowledge.

If you want to do something that requires greater technical knowledge, take a few night classes in electronics, THEN attempt repairs once you have an understanding of the circuits, their function, and the function of the components that comprise those circuits.

I am only trying to save you from the wreck that I think you are dead set on driving into.

Buy a good spare board. Stick it in and forget about that. Learn more about electronics, then fix your bad board when you are ready to do it in a knowledgeable fashion.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CM,

Truly agree with what you are saying and that's why I'm getting the exact value & specifications to replace the suspected components. If Curt is here locally in Singapore, I would definitely send my HDM for him to repair.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you need to understand electronics well enough to be able to determine WHY the components failed.

You get a flat tire, you patch it, or replace it, you go driving, you get another flat tire. You keep replacing tires and they keep going flat.

You're not paying any attention to the box of nails somebody dropped in your driveway.

Parts that fail always fail for a reason.

Just replacing the failed parts doesn't necessarily mean that you have addressed the CAUSE of the failure.

Simply replacing blown parts is not the answer. You have to figure out WHY they blew up, and fix the CAUSE of the problem,
and since you've said you've had overheating problems with this for a while, as I remember, then the parts you're trying to change out are only a symptom of a larger problem you're not seeing.

Until you fix the root cause, the new parts will overheat and blow up, too.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in my upper thread (photos above), the real rootcause of the issues is known. It's due to my negligence of testing the external belly fans and placing it on top of the projector which did not provide cooling to the projector. During this testing process, I disabled the belly fans inside the projector (see photos above).

I didn't realise that the direction of the external test fans that I placed on top of the projector did not provide cooling to the HDM or the focus board.

I did the test in order to understand why the existing fans is so noisy and to make comparison with another set of belly fans from my 2nd set vision 1. In conclusion, it's not an existing overheating problem that I don't understand but the reason above is the root cause. Hope this explanation is clear enough.

20160328_103205-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.31 KB
 Viewed:  7665 Time(s)

20160328_103205-1.jpg

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haireez wrote:
As mentioned in my upper thread (photos above), the real rootcause of the issues is known. It's due to my negligence of testing the external belly fans and placing it on top of the projector which did not provide cooling to the projector......

The real root cause is really irrelevant at this point. Your problem could most likely be finding out if there is a present short or worse case damaged power Fets, that may not be shorted but won't ever work properly because they are HEAT damaged,

This seems to be more of what CJ has been trying to point out to you.

Theory of operation without any meaningful experience with these particular high current deflection problems is never good a good approach to working on these boards. You can't just find bad components here and simply replace them, That is never the way to go when working on that stage on the HDM. The components you are replacing are also what is known as

"Critical Safety Components"

When if they fail, one would need the necessary experience to work on that section, as to not cause further damage or even create a fire hazard. Q20 failure would usually indicate a possible short elsewhere in the main deflection section. And to simply swap out the parts without checking for shorts was the first sign that you're going about this repair wrong.

Me, if dealing with the same Q20 failure, I would suspect one of the large heat sinked Mosfets that are usually why Q20 fails. But of course, they fail in different ways than transistors so they are not so easily tested after one or more fail. But of course at this point, you would need a serious level of board level repair experience with these circuits, and that is why I suggested to replace or send to Curt for repair, because you'll definitely need the right stuff to properly fix that board.

It's your set and you can do whatever you want, though there is a chance replacing the parts you mentioned could solve the problem and there is also some risk involved..
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Just to give latest update on the HDM status. I have replaced the necessary components and the HDM is working perfectly without any issues running for more than 9 hrs yesterday. Special thank to Julian for his sincerity in trying to help the so called ' NEWBIE' (EVENTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN WITH CRT SINCE 1995) and it's only people like him will encourage the CRT hobby to continue in existence even in a small and dying community. There's not many people in Singapore still having a CRT right now. I won't be surprise if the number is less than 5.

As for other comment's, thank you for your concerns on safety's aspect. However, I believed that in order to encourage more CRT owner to engage or seek help in Curt's forum, I would appreciate a positive communications rather than demoralising others and eventually, less and less people visiting Curt website.

Once again, I truly appreciate Julian for his patience in guiding me to resolve my HDM issues. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's trying to demoralize anybody. We've made an attempt to keep you from blowing yourself up, OR your projector, that's all.

It was almost a "I'm having trouble with my transmission, can you tell me how to fix it?" scenario.

This was not really all that different from someone with a computer problem saying "I think something's wrong with my computer and I'm sure it's one of those doohickeys on the motherboard. Can anyone tell me which one I need to replace, and how to do it?" .

Not quite that bad...but the general idea is similar.

I'm a decent technician. But I don't mess around with repairing parts of circuits that, if they should fail, will cause damage that I am not willing to absorb. Like line burned CRTs. I'll toss the HDM in the trash and get another one before I'll mess with those high voltage deflection circuits.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, does anyone knows how to adjust start pulse? The step by step how to do it?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was covered in the first few posts in the first page of this topic.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't moved. Maybe need to get the correct frequency band. Thanks.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you must find the right frequency band. It'll probably be 2 or 3. 1 will be for very low resolutions, 4 will be for extremely high resolutions. (Or refresh rates.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: