Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LUG to LCP Conversion for Marquee VNB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: LUG to LCP Conversion for Marquee VNB Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I did a write-up for the re-conversion of LUG-modified Marquee video neck boards (VNBs).
Please feel free to comment on any errors...

Unfortunately, it's too big to be attached to a post, so I had to put it over here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mlfrxchoz5h7dm/LUG%20to%20LCP%20Conversion%20for%20Marquee%20VNB.pdf?dl=0

Regards,
barclay66

Edit: Updated Link

Last edited by barclay66 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (25 photos)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writeup Barclay66

I would only add that the difference between the 8" and 9" neck boards besides the socket key, is the adjustment pot (R86) settings that sets a cut-off limit that's different from the two boards.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added. Thanks!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a reason for going back?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
What would be a reason for going back?

Hi,

The lack of LUG tubes and NOS LCP tubes ready for installation...

Regards,
barclay66
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see. I thought there was a good stock of P19LUG tubes available from Greg?

Last time i asked him he still was getting them rebuilt with simulation grade guns and phosphor.

barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see. I thought there was a good stock of P19LUG tubes available from Greg?
Last time i asked him he still was getting them rebuilt with simulation grade guns and phosphor.

Good to know. But Greg's tubes would represent a large investment and the two LCP sets from Curt are here already Wink

Regards,
barclay66
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah theyre not cheap, but theyre apparently better tubes. I havent fitted mine yet.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah theyre not cheap, but theyre apparently better tubes. I havent fitted mine yet.

barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah theyre not cheap, but theyre apparently better tubes.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure about that.
Although the LUGs have a smaller spot size, You have to drive them harder than the LCPs as the smaller spot emits less light. And my experience with LUGs (I made several tests with different color LUGs) teached me that they are much more prone to blooming when driven at higher contrast levels. So the blooming will eat up the spot size advantage in most cases.
I simply have the feeling that the LUG's system design isn't perfectly compatible with the differential drive of the Marquee where the beam intensity is controlled by the voltage difference between the cathode and the G1 grid.
The BR909 and later models with LUGs do that differently. They leave the G1 grid on a controlled level and drive the cathode with a much higher voltage. Maybe the LUG's design works best in this configuration...

Regards,
barclay66
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my only comment is that on my test set, I have drilled out pin 6 on all neck boards as per your first pix, so that I can run LUG and LCP tubes in the Marquee. I simply put the white G2 lead back on pin 2 from pin 6, leave pin 6 floating, and have had no issues over the last 5 or so years of doing that.

Sure, I guess grounding pin 6 gives a tiny bit more protection if a tube arcs internally, but from what I've found, that's pretty rare overall.

Comments?
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's mentioned at the end of my document as I knew that it's possible to leave pin 6 (and maybe 7 too) unconnected. I just feel better having those connectors tied to a defined voltage level. Sometimes You may call me 'anal'. At least I already have been described as dedicated to 'unbutchering' PCBs. That nasty passion...

Regards,
barclay66
mrbiggleswurth

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:

Although the LUGs have a smaller spot size, You have to drive them harder than the LCPs as the smaller spot emits less light. And my experience with LUGs (I made several tests with different color LUGs) teached me that they are much more prone to blooming when driven at higher contrast levels. So the blooming will eat up the spot size advantage in most cases.
I simply have the feeling that the LUG's system design isn't perfectly compatible with the differential drive of the Marquee where the beam intensity is controlled by the voltage difference between the cathode and the G1 grid.
The BR909 and later models with LUGs do that differently. They leave the G1 grid on a controlled level and drive the cathode with a much higher voltage. Maybe the LUG's design works best in this configuration...

Regards,
barclay66

Im refering to the simulation grade tubes, not the P19LUGs in general.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quoted this one in the other lug lcp thread from Mike Parker.

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:

Regards,
barclay66

I agree with a lot this from my experience (The G90 has very similar to Marquee G1/Cathod drive), but would add that the LUG's are not the best when using the standard Marquee neck boards. But in the 909 and G90, they blow away the LCP.

And as I've mention in the other thread, because of their differences, they would need to have specific neck boards or boards designed with them in mind. Simply dropping an LUG into a Marquee is not going to be an equal or better option over the LCP in which it was designed for.

I discovered these things the first time I've had an LUG loaded Marquee here in my setup and was able to evaluate things using my generator and that was not long ago.

Now, the LUG's are higher resolution no doubt, but that's not easy to experience with them, but it's something I hope to demonstrate through screenshots later today or tomorrow after I get the boards finished and in my main setup
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Sony tubes so no experience at all with LUG tubes so I have a simple question that might help me determine how much better the LUG tubes are.

Can anyone who has their PJ dialed in properly with LUG tubes tell me how thick the lines are on a cross hatch pattern at the screen as well as the resolution and distance from the screen.

This seems like a good way to compare tubes as screen shots really don't help.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the specs on the Barco Cine 9. Max spec'ed resolution is 3200x2560. Equipped with LUG tubes.

Correctly set up, LUGs are the sharpest tubes you're going to find. Anything sharper was a custom product.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Check the specs on the Barco Cine 9. Max spec'ed resolution is 3200x2560. Equipped with LUG tubes.

Correctly set up, LUGs are the sharpest tubes you're going to find. Anything sharper was a custom product.

That does not mean it can resolve it... for instance my XG135LC is rated to 2500x2000 but nobody is thinking it can do it. Smile

View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs are SUPPOSED to indicate a resolvable resolution. "Resolvable" meaning at a certain specific MTF value.

Problem is, one manufacturer may specify an MTF of 65 percent and another may specify an MTF of 10 percent. There is a HUGE difference there.

As I recall, Barco specifies a pretty high MTF value so if they say it'll do 3200x2560, then I would expect that it can actually resolve it pretty well. Assuming everything is in good order and properly adjusted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: