Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone used Sony's Online Support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Anyone used Sony's Online Support? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Fiddling with Sony's Online Support webpage. It wants the system, country, model, and actual serial number. Does anyone know what Sony charges to repair a PS3? I have an original 60GB system with media card slots, [former] ability to install Linux, onboard hardware to support backwards compatibility, etc.

Since the lightning even the day before yesterday, I cannot get video out via HDMI, and since I do not have the A/V cable to test the proprietary connector for Component video, I do not know the extent of damage (powers up by remote and front power button.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not score a broken one on eBay and get one of the SMT guru's to do some part's swappin'. The 60GB is the most desireable PS3 ever made so it's worth fixing. Like an Ampro. Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost to get a 60Gig PS3 fixed for me about a year ago was around $150-175 USD. Flat rate. Doesn't matter what's wrong with it. All shipping included (back and forth).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that the 60GB version is worth money on the used, and even broken, markets. My fear is that I send the unit into Sony, paying the surcharge, and getting a non-60GB unit back. I'd hate to get a re certified delimited future version where the original features are gone.

I guess I need to consider the $150 option. No way Sony will actually engage me in answering the aforementioned concern.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact them and ask. My assumption was always that I'd get back the exact same unit but fixed, which I did.

I had already bought a replacement too and then sold the 60Gig for the same price as the new one since the old 60Gig is indeed in high demand. So in the end it ended up costing me around $150 for a new PS3 with a one-year warranty instead of only the 90 day warranty for the fixed unit. I didn't care about the features that were missing.

Kal

Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Sony repair? Reply with quote

Do any of these companies actually troubleshoot and repair anything anymore? I doubt it. If it is any sort of significant issue either hardware or software related they tend to just send you back the same model but a different refurbished unit.
This just happened with my son's XBox 360 and they returned a refurbished unit, NOT the one he shipped to them.
He was advised of that procedure from the outset.

He didn't care, as long as it worked properly.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had to send in my 360 for the RRoD condition I marked the chassis with a grease pen. I got the same chassis back, but no telling if what was inside (e.g. guts) were completely changed out. I sent an email to Sony yesterday morning, but it says it'll be 48 hours before a response should be expected. I assume that is two business days.

Anyway, I found the receipt (bought 8/2007, paid $499 & Tax), and also the proprietary A/V Composite cable. I used this cable to verify the unit IS working and seems to NOT know that it has an HDMI output problem. I checked the HDMI output settings, which were on RGB, but I tested for digital Component as well, and the Automatic setting. None of the HDMI configurations worked.

I suppose if I had the Sony proprietary A/V Component cable it'd work, too. I do not know what might happen if I were to conduct a firmware upgrade as I purposely decided against the 3.x genesis because BD playback wasn't a problem. Maybe I should give that a try, and maybe a reset to original factory settings (downgrade firmware to factory original). Since I've got a couple of other BD players I guess I could wait out the repair as long as I got my original or another 60GB version.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Support offered this as the only two options:

Turn main power off via the rear rocker switch. Press and hold the touch-sensitive front power button while turning the main power switch back on. After the second audible 'beep' I released the touch-sinsitive front power button. What this did was to produce a message stating an HDMI device had been detected, and prompting if I wanted to use it. This was seen on the proprietary Composite.

Once I chose to use the HDMI device, the screen went blank--I presume this was HDMI output in favor of Composite. Yet, nothing shown on any of the HDMI inputs on the HDTV. I even moved the unit to the brand new Panasonic TC-50SF14 plasma HDMI inputs and nothing.

Sony stated if this doesn't work the only thing they could do for me is to a) ignore me, or b) take $150 more of my money and give be a used unit in return. Considering disposable BD players start at <$90, and Sony disposable players at <$130, I am just having a hard time trusting Sony again.

I wonder how many PS3 consoles have failed without the first Playstation game haven never been played on them. Surely this is an exception for even the group of exceptional failures. Sony can kiss my arse, but drive around the wallet to do so.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I came across this paperweight yesterday when I was cleaning a room up. I had completely forgot about it and the Slim version I have. In hindsight it was a complete waste of money on my part, but I only blame myself. Now, what to do with the old beasty that hardly got a petting from me. Never played a single PS game.

The old 60GB PS3 sitting here had a login that I've completely forgot. I couldn't even find an email from when I created an account with Sony. As such, I am not sure what the PS3 is good for--and sh*t it is heavy! I remember the Component video still worked but the HDMi was fried due to the neighbor across the street taking a direct hit (12 homes on our street had damage).

I don't mind getting rid of the thing, but I wouldn't want any personal information left on it. The PS3 Slim I have and not used in 3-4 years has never been on a network so I am not worried about it. Suggestions?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
The old 60GB PS3 sitting here had a login that I've completely forgot.

Try this: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/Decision_Tree/Password-Reset-Help/

This is for the Playstation Network (PSN) however.

I don't remember the PS3 having any sort of username/password to just get into it. It has accounts, but there's no passwords. I don't even think that's possible (?).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: