Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Looking for affordable blend processor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Looking for affordable blend processor Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am looking for a video processing unit that can do edge blending of HD content, analog input is a must, digital is not necessary. Is such a thing available without paying an arm and a leg for it ?
Thanks for your help in advance! Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do mean by "affordable"? Wink

There's some commercial stuff available but none of it is cheap.

Probably depends on what resolution you want supported too.

You may luck out on ebay if someone's dumping equipment.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affordable as in around $500 or so tops... I'm just looking at my options at the moment... I may just do it with a PC, then again I may just end up doing a stack if I end up overshooting what I'm willing to spend on this hehh... I know that getting a good blend going takes a lot of time and effort, is it even possible to achieve an unnoticable blend of the two screens with any processor that is not in the 1k+ price range?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure.

What displays are you looking to blend? What resolution?

While it's a matter of opinion, I wouldn't ever try edge blending on CRT projectors unless it's a soft blend of some sort.

Here's an example: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale_HighPerformance_BlendZilla.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV Ones are about as cheap as blending gets, though certainly wouldn't fit in the stated budget with new prices.

This pair went for awhile with no interest - maybe he still has them:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37810

Athanasios (Nashou) is about the only forum member who is currently posting who is running a blend. He'd probably have the best idea of what's on the market and what you'd have to pay for them.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for affordable blend processor Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am looking for a video processing unit that can do edge blending of HD content, analog input is a must, digital is not necessary. Is such a thing available without paying an arm and a leg for it ?
Thanks for your help in advance! Smile

There are three C2-1250 analog edge blenders on Ebay from the same seller fore super cheap . These are normally about $1500. Use these with a Moome External HD and a RGBHV spliter/Matrix after to get to two of the C2-1250's , then out for the VP's to your Projectors.

https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, but it seems like I'm a bit confused about how a setup like this should work. I thought that it was the belnding processor that had two outputs one for each projector, but apparently not... Let's see if I get this right.

Say I want to do a blend at 1920x1200. I get the same source signal hooked up to both processors, each of which will remove half of the image to be output to the projector and feathers the selected edge... Is this about right?

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with those tv one units. the dual engine units are DVI and about $ 6k. That , at this moment will be the cheapest route for a blend set up.

And it doesn't remove any of the image, it Zooms the image and you can decide on the blend zone rise but there is a pre set size for specific resolutions unless your physical lay out of the PJ's prohibits it and you need to use a custom Zoom and Blend zone size.

http://tvone.crmdesk.com/image.aspx?mode=file&id=285

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks Nashou, that cleared up a lot of questions for me. I'm trying to decide if I want to bother giving this a shot...
I think I'd need a new set of tubes for at least one set, (one of my sets has spot-burn even though there's no mask on the tube faces...) and the set I got from Curt was unfortunately destroyed by my friendly local customs people doing sh*t-all to repack the tubes after opening the package... Sad (in the process of getting the post office to pay out on the insurance... hope it ends up going well... fingers crossed)
Aside from that, I'd probably need to replace the optics if I want to get focus to be even enough... and it'd probably change my throw distance... which could be odd as I want to have a third projector for simple thigns like gaming...

It's nice to dream I know... Very Happy

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could do it anyways just for S&G

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to blend in the first place? You need to answer that question first to see if it is worth the time and headache.
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Why do you want to blend in the first place? You need to answer that question first to see if it is worth the time and headache.

Two reasons...
Numero uno: Added brightness is always good... very good in fact... should prolong tube life too as I'm projecting an approx 150" image at the moment, and intend to go somewhat higher when I get my dedicated drywall screen built in a month or so ...

Two: FOCUS and 1080P!
Interlace artifacts... hate them.... need to go 1080P... that however is not satisfactorily sharp on 8" sets... beam spot size is also pretty large due to the size of my 'screen'... so... if I use two PJs to project the same image, they can be closer to the screen, thus decreasing spot size, while splitting the projected image in half, which should help the projectors resolve 1080P while retaining as much focus as possible...

Yes I know vertical resolution will remain unchanged, but since the PJs go closer, I can cheat and use the hardware height control and spread out the raster more vertically... this should help with focus... quite a bit in fact... PROVIDED I can get another set of HD145 lenses so there's no problems with edge focusing... (Or in my case I am trading in my HD145 for a HD144 and buying another HD144 set)

My alternate route is doing a stack and sticking to 1080i... but that would only help with brightness and increased tube life...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G90 or 9500 would probably be cheaper.

I am guessing that is 150" wide 2.35.
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I'd stay clear of the G90 because it eats tubes, and I'm not so well off that I can keep buying tubes. My only problem with the 9500 is availability in the EU, and the fact that shipping one overseas costs as much as the set. The only marquee I could get my hands on is a 8000 that's had more then it's fair share of use. I'm kinda cooking with what I got Smile If I can grab the two TV one units under $500, that could be a pretty good deal for doing this.

In all honesty I've not looked at the aspect ratios in-depth for doing this, but right now it's 150" 4:3 diagonal, driven at 1280x1024, 16:9 movies thus have the correct aspect ratio and the full resolution is displayed. I plan to keep one projector doing this size for retro gaming, and two PJs by it's sides, doing a blend, hopefully getting the same height with a 16:9 aspect ratio. If the numbers don't work out, I'll just have the two on the sides do a stack instead...

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
TBH I'd stay clear of the G90 because it eats tubes,

I don't know who started spreading this idea or why, but I don't recall ever hearing any real evidence to support it.

There's nothing magic about a G90. If you drive a G90 and a 9500 and a 909 to 14fL on a 9-foot wide screen, and run the same source material at the same refresh rates, they're all going to wear prematurely and "eat" the tubes.

The only thing I can recall that could explain where this started is that the G90 has excellent spot control and will allow you to crank up the contrast and get more light output without blooming (and the loss of sharpness that occurs along with it). But, that brightness is optional. If you want it to wear like other 9-inch machines, simply lower the contrast.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every other post I've read from G90 owners mentions quite notable green tube wear after 1500 hours or so... I can quite imagine that you are right and it is a setup thing, but I know the urge to keep tinkering with the focus, so I'd probably end up in the same pitfall...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Steve said, if driven the same then the tubes will burn at the same rate. G90 owners have always wanted more lumens, so they crank them. Honestly, I know CRTers are happy with single digit ft/lmbs, but after seeing high teens and up I prefer brighter pjs.

What kind of screen are you planning on using?
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the screen, I'm going to have a drywall built for the purpose, and am still contemplating whether to paint it with anything or just keep it matte. Getting good screen material would be quite costly, and am not sure what I would pick would meet my expectations... since there's noone selling them specifically in country, I can't really test any... well... that is except for chinese crap...
I'm contemplating giving the matte surface a single coat of silver paint, but that may or may not end up too reflective...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying for scope or 16x9?
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet to be honest. As I will be using it for different aspect ratios, I will have the screen as large as it will physically fit, and install some form of black velour blinding that I can adjust to the appropriate aspect ratio... I am thinking 16:9 though as that is the format I would use most often. If I can do 16:9 as large as I want to, scope should still be pretty good Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: