Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC XG110LC F9 Error

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mootwo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: NEC XG110LC F9 Error Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a used XG110 and I'm in the process of getting everything set up. I didn't have a RGB cable on hand when I bought it so I figured I could at least get started on things like focus and geometry and a basic convergence with no input signal connected. All of that went fine and the projector displays all of the test patterns and menus with no problem.

Now I have a RGB cable but as soon as I connect it, the projector shuts down with a F9 error code. From my understanding this is a problem with the F-Drive PWB board.

Does it make sense that this would only happen with the RGB input connected? The projector was tested with the S-Video input and it seemed to work fine. The RGB input was not tested because I didn't have a cable at the time. But aren't all of the inputs routed through the F-Drive board or am I misunderstanding something? If the RGB cable were bad could it cause this error? Is there anything else I can try before resorting to buying a replacement board?

Any help is appreciated!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most likely is the F board, as it's driven differently at different resolutions. I've got stock. Post 4 more times to PM me, or email me at curtpalme at shaw.ca.

Thanks!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt might second that, but I think one of the most common problems with the XGs are the death of the F-drive board.
I just found out that the XG runs the F-drive board on a fixed voltage. This is strange because all other modern CRT projectors (Barco 909, Sony G90, Marquee or even the prior NEC PG line) had a Focus voltage supply dependent from the scan frequency somehow. The problem with the fixed focus voltage is that it generates a lot of heat, stressing the circuit, why would you do that?
Strangely and fortunately, there is evidence for focus voltage selecting feature in the XG too, it's just not used somewhy.

Here are the signs:
-The F-drive board can be supplied by either +/-35V or +/-48V selected by a jumper. I'm not sure if this was actualy altered between models (ie. XG751 only set to +/-35V operation), but the service manual signs the +/-48V as default, and indeed my XG1351 has that jumper populated.
-In the Power supply there is a control feature to set the focus voltage -> +/-48V -> +/-35V, and the other +/-35V line can be lowered to +/-25V. The control signal for this is originated on the OSC board, there, also present "jumper settings" according where you populate a 100 Ohm SMD resistor. In my XG1351 this was set for fixed high voltage operation too (default). It is availabe to set the voltage controller to automatic, this would change the focus voltage at 77kHz scan frequency and fixed low voltage.
Changing this resistor require advanced soldering skills though.

This is still not very refined control over the focus voltage but better than nothing.

By the way +/-48V as focus supply voltage is a very high value, Marquees use +/-25V and the fine tuning is happening with resonant capacitors, the G90 uses +-/15V until ~50kHz line frequency, then changes to +/-40V, in a PG xtra the lower focus voltage is +/-15V and proportionally changes over ~45kHz, reaching +/-27V at 97kHz (what I tested), also the 909 have proportionally adjusted focus AND convergence voltages with scan frequency (unknown range to me).

What is interesting here is that the default focus voltage is +/-48V that is the highest among all the above.
Assuming that the XG already have better tubes and lenses than a PG xtra even the lower focus (25/35V) voltage setting would be a stepforward for the XG. With this better reliability would be expected and less generated heat.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually jumpers on the board to switch focus voltage, the higher voltage is used for the LC sets and the XG852. While F boards do fail, I've had more problems with H and HV boards in the XG.
mootwo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info guys. Would it be beneficial to stick another fan in there, specifically for the F-Drive board?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put one outside, a big one, C-drive and F-dre are neighbors, and bothgenerating quite much heat, with a 12cm fan you can effectively cool both at the same time.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mootwo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new F-Drive board installed last night and everything is working fine now. Thanks again for all the help guys! Now to get this bad boy calibrated properly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: