Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Amp or pre pro ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Amp or pre pro ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK so the Integra I got is making me crazy. Sometimes it throws little ( or no) signal to the amps. It is never the same amp. Sometimes it is the center then the front etc... etc... Right now I am using separate amps 3 Yamaha M-85's and a Yamaha M-80 on the center channel. Four amps total. Each amp has a Yamaha Q2031B EQ. ( 4 EQ's Total) The Integra is a DTR 9.9
Running 7 Polk RTI A9 speakers. With 2 old sealed subs.( which do fine for movies but for music I need an upgrade)
ANYWAY I am going to need something to replace the Integra. I like the way the Integra works, the menus and such plus I like AUDESSY (when I can get it to work, which it usually doesn't) I am not sure whether to go looking for a pre pro or another amp. The advantage of an amp is if one of the separates goes out I can just disconnect the wires from the Yamaha and hook it up to the integra. I have a backup M65 amp but I don't like using it. I was using 4 M85's but I think one caught a strike, its been at the shop for awhile now. The Integra by itself just doesn't have enough ass. I didn't like the Polk's at first until I put the Yamaha's on them, then they came alive. Night and day difference. So should I go for a pre pro and if so what do you like that is close to the Integra, only without the issues. Thanks in advance. Jeff.

nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Onkyo 3030 and it sounds great. Drives my wilson watt puppies adequately. And the other zones.

I bought an ati to drive our fronts, but honestly don't need it.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run all channels full range. With subs. The integra allows this. Huge difference. Much better. Some amps don't have this option. I am not seeing the advantage of a pre pro. It sure isn't price, and from the specs not much cleaner either.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That receiver has been giving you trouble since you got it. There's something wrong with it. I had the pre-pro version of that receiver, the DHC-9.9. It was a great pre-pro, and I never had any trouble with mine, but some people did run into some software problems in certain circumstances.

The advantage of a prepro is that it's simpler, runs cooler, quieter, and is overall a better piece of gear, though that does come at a price... Unless you're buying used.

If you don't have any interest in Atmos at this point, and you like Onkyo/Integra, find a nice clean used Integra DHC-80.3. It's two versions newer than the 9.9 and supports HDMI 1.4 and 3D. It's got good solid networking (vs. the flakey 9.9), more HDMI inputs, Audyssey XT32, a better on-screen display, and solid Integra build quality. It has balanced outs in case you want to upgrade amps at any point, and it doesn't have any amps itself, so it's cooler, quieter, and less to break. It was $2600 new, but you can find them used for under a third of that, or you can get a refurb from Accessories4Less for $900.

If that's more than you want to spend, look at a Marantz AV7701. $700 at accessories4less, and a really excellent piece of gear. Nearly everything the 80.3 has, save for Audyssey XT32 (it's only XT).

I *really* like the Marantz stuff. I sold my Integra, and I'm probably going with a Marantz AV7702mkII (or it's successor) in the room I'm designing now.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering Atmos since it seems to be the new thing for the next 5 years or so, at least. I am not sure that its worth the extra money though. I did have a couple movies that had Atmos as the only English option and they wouldn't play right, most do though. Not sure if it would make that much of a difference, I haven't heard it yet. Usually its just me and my wife watching movies and we sit in the front row. I am somewhat concerned that some Atmos movies wont play and as the format gains popularity I will be forced to upgrade to an atmos amp. I want something that's dependable and wont be out of date in 2 years. Not really wanting to spend a ton of money, figuring I will probably end up going to a digital PJ in a year or two. If I get a Pre Pro with Atmos that means more amps. But I really want something dependable. NOBODY around here will even touch the Integra for repairs.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We upgraded from a pioneer lx60 to the Onkyo for atmos and also for an extra zone.

Very, very happy with it.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you want to spend the money, but a lot of people like the Emotiva.

I should put a caveat with it. I recommended to Rocco and he was not happy with it. He said the build quality was excellent, but it had noise that his old Fosgate didn't. He figures it is an issue with the power supply and its design.

As for Atmos, if you have a dedicated room then I suggest going this route. A good Atmos system is a huge leap over a regular set up. Crabb may not agree, but the JBL demo at Cedia gives me goosebumps thinking about the WWII film clip. Wink
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am anxious to hear Atmos. Its hard to believe that there could be that big of a difference, 7.1 already sounds like things are overhead. To be fair though my one set of rear surrounds is on the ceiling. I really didn't think that making the surrounds stereo would be a big deal either but I was dead wrong about that.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Atmos. Highly recommended. If you can get into a dealer and have a listen, you should. The JBL demo Spanky referred to was right on-point. Even the Atmos "topper" demos I've heard at a BBY/Magnolia store were pretty damn good.

What's your budget, Jeff? I know, I know... You don't want to spend any more than you have to. But, seriously... What's your budget, i.e. what's the MAX you want to spend on this upgrade?

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might have been underwhelmed, because of the company you were keeping that day. Twisted Evil
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I thought you might have been underwhelmed, because of the company you were keeping that day. Twisted Evil

It was indeed distracting, but I enjoyed the demo despite the company.

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now my budget is shot. Best man bachelor party duties ran me low and I got an amp in the shop. Once I get a new amp then I also need to get speakers too for the Atmos, this never ends does it ?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

It was indeed distracting, but I enjoyed the demo despite the company.

SC

Well, I would have sat in the middle. Wink

Tell you what, this year I will let you go crazy in my brother's X6. Mr. Green

Jeff,
It doesn't end, but this is a big upgrade in the world of HT audio. It is as big and for some may be bigger than the shift from SD to HD.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I really want to hear this now.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just about height speakers or ceiling speakers. It is a shift to object based sound. The mixer can place sound anywhere in the room.

As I told people at Cedia '14, Panny had a great demo if not the best sound. In Oblivion, there was a scene in the movie where Tom Cruise puts his ship behind a waterfall on the left of the screen. It actually sounded like the water was flowing from the ceiling to the floor. In a dedicated room, I would rather have 5.1.4(the last # stands for ceiling speakers) than 7.1 or 9.1.

At last year's show, the WWII clip was a bomber being fired upon from the ground. Each shell explosion was perfectly placed on the screen. This was a JBL high dollar demo, so the sound was extraordinary.

I think some people are using DIYSG Volt speakers for their Atmos ceiling speakers. I think they are like $150 a speaker.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will nurse the integra for another year and wait for prices to fall off a little. I am really interested in Atmos now that I have heard everyones opinion.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I think some people are using DIYSG Volt speakers for their Atmos ceiling speakers. I think they are like $150 a speaker.

That's my tentative plan at this point.

jeffslife wrote:
Thanks everyone. Maybe I will nurse the integra for another year and wait for prices to fall off a little. I am really interested in Atmos now that I have heard everyones opinion.

Waiting a bit probably isn't a bad idea. There are a couple things in the air at the moment (DTS:X, firmware updates, 4K), and things should be a little more settled soon.

But, you definitely owe it to yourself to take a little time at some point and go find a good system to demo Atmos. I wouldn't go quite as far as Spanky in putting the evolution right up there with the advent of HD, but it certainly adds another dimension (literally) to the movie-watching experience, and like him, I'd take 5.1.4 over 7.1.

Cheers,
SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: