Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

soldering on the NEW VDC boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: soldering on the NEW VDC boards Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone tried working on these yet? They are sh*t to re-work, and I'm not blaming VDC but I think they are the new ROHS complaint standards . When there's only 10% lead they do no wet or flow worth a dam. It's like trying to de-solder a lump of Gray chalk . Sad
I've worked on baked out, 20 year old Electrohome boards with 50K hours that were a breeze, these things are just awful.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflow with Tin Lead before rework
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
yeah and doesn't that suck!
Remove old solder
add new solder,
remove part
remove new solder
add new part.
re-solder

What a PITA, basically doubling the time required Mad
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
gregstv wrote:
yeah and doesn't that suck!
Remove old solder
add new solder,
remove part
remove new solder
add new part.
re-solder

What a PITA, basically doubling the time required Mad

Your soldering work is first rate so I'm sure you'll get through it. If they are new boards are you trying to mod them?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Your soldering work is first rate so I'm sure you'll get through it.
thanks, sure didn't feel that way this time but I have to get thru it so it has to be resolved

jbmeyer13 wrote:
If they are new boards are you trying to mod them?
just a refresh since the Simulator boards are typically very high hours.

Will probably wrap this one up and be done with it soon, it's been years and I'm burned out.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I became President, I'd withdraw the US from RoHS compliance requirements except only for products designated specifically for export. Items made for domestic usage would be exempt from RoHS compliance and our tyrannical regulations on all things lead related would be relaxed to become simply reasonable.

The usage of lead free solder is STILL implicated in the short service lifespan of many kinds of modern electronics.

Since a shorter service life means more electronic scrap entering the garbage and recycling channels, it would be easy to argue
that allowing a little lead back into the solder makes a positive long term benefit, offsetting the cost of recycling by reducing the amount to be recycled.

I have lost count of how many generations of digital projectors our Marquees, Barcos, G70s, etc. have outlasted.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If I became President, I'd withdraw the US from RoHS compliance requirements except only for products designated specifically for export. Items made for domestic usage would be exempt from RoHS compliance and our tyrannical regulations on all things lead related would be relaxed to become simply reasonable.

The usage of lead free solder is STILL implicated in the short service lifespan of many kinds of modern electronics.

Since a shorter service life means more electronic scrap entering the garbage and recycling channels, it would be easy to argue
that allowing a little lead back into the solder makes a positive long term benefit, offsetting the cost of recycling by reducing the amount to be recycled.

I have lost count of how many generations of digital projectors our Marquees, Barcos, G70s, etc. have outlasted.

I agree with all that, but I would also add that if you remove the lead limits you need to really clamp down on recycling to make sure all that lead is reclaimed and not dumped into a land fill here it can leach into ground water.
I mean most states already have strict recycling laws on electronics, but the laws need to be universal and carry stiff penalties for lazy asses.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny thing about lead is that once it's in the environment, it rapidly oxidized and passivates, and unless you disturb it, it just sits there and goes nowhere. Once passivated, with its protective oxide skin, it is one of the most inert substances on the planet, able to withstand thousands of years buried or exposed and not change much. Lead ornaments have been found in archaelogical digs that are thousands of years old and still pretty much the same as the day they were first buried.

The vast majority of damage done to humans by lead came from people, usually kids, eating paint chips made with paint that contained lead compounds. With that becoming a rare thing these days, lead poisoning instances are WAY down.

There are still plumbing systems in Italy that are (or at least were a few years ago) still in service that were built out of lead pipes, and made during the days of the Roman Empire. As long as the piping's oxide layers are left undisturbed, the amount of lead released into the water is negligible.

The hazards of lead, in passivated form, are dramatically overstated.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
A funny thing about lead is that once it's in the environment, it rapidly oxidized and passivates, and unless you disturb it, it just sits there and goes nowhere. Once passivated, with its protective oxide skin, it is one of the most inert substances on the planet, able to withstand thousands of years buried or exposed and not change much. Lead ornaments have been found in archaelogical digs that are thousands of years old and still pretty much the same as the day they were first buried.

The vast majority of damage done to humans by lead came from people, usually kids, eating paint chips made with paint that contained lead compounds. With that becoming a rare thing these days, lead poisoning instances are WAY down.

There are still plumbing systems in Italy that are (or at least were a few years ago) still in service that were built out of lead pipes, and made during the days of the Roman Empire. As long as the piping's oxide layers are left undisturbed, the amount of lead released into the water is negligible.

The hazards of lead, in passivated form, are dramatically overstated.

Yeah, look at the Roman plumbing in places like Bath England. It still works and has water flowing in it today.

All of the city plumbing is lead pipe and lead mains are still being installed in Chicago today. The water main to our house is lead, but it's 110 years old... I learned that only recently Chicago stopped using lead mains from street to house..

There is a lot of lead in the soil in Chicago. This did come from lead paint chips, but the worst offender was leaded gasoline. The lead emissions came out the tail pipes, settled in the land, and since it's inert it's still there. You can't eat vegetables grown in the soil if you garden in Chicago. TO compound the problem, many people used to use leaded gasoline on their gardens to kill weeds here... I learned all this after we had been eating tomatoes out of our yard for several years Sad

What Chicago does do is add some chemical (I forget what) to the water that causes the lead pipes to corrode on the inner surface. This corrosion makes it so that no lead passes into the water. The trouble is that when they work on the mains, this coating can get knocked off. Until the coating restores, lead levels in city water can go spike way high... we have a really good tap water filter that removes 98% of lead that passes through it in addition to many other chemicals.

I was really glad to see that my son's lead level was only 2 units when he was tested at 1 year old. I was really nervous about this because we also have this old house with lots of lead paint. We vacuum very regularly to keep him from ingesting any.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Lead is totally safe, tell that to the people in Flint Michigan Wink
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

I know Flint, right Evil or Very Mad My Aunt worked for DOW and my cousins lived there for their early lives.

Lead is bad for everyone, but especially those in their early twenties and younger. Nerve and neuron development are effected; lowering IQ and sometimes psychosis. Not to mention autoimmune diseases.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
draganm wrote:

I know Flint, right Evil or Very Mad My Aunt worked for DOW and my cousins lived there for their early lives.

Lead is bad for everyone, but especially those in their early twenties and younger. Nerve and neuron development are effected; lowering IQ and sometimes psychosis. Not to mention autoimmune diseases.

craigr
well the good news is Obamster is allocating emergency Federal funding for Flint. Although it should be designated a super-fund site, despite that program being horribly under-funded and years behind schedule Sad
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in Flint, MI was caused by them switching over to river water, which is corrosive enough to strip the oxide layer off the lead piping, causing active leaching.

It was fine when they fed off of lake water. Which is not corrosive.

The pH of the water has to be taken into account when determining which materials are suitable for piping.

If the water is sufficiently neutral, like it was BEFORE switching to river water, then the lifespan of lead piping is greater than that of any other material in common use as water piping.

And THAT is the reason why lead has been the preferred pipe material for literally thousands of years. Lowest cost of ownership, lowest maintenance requirements. And although heavy, very easy to work with.

Neither copper nor PVC nor any other modern plastic would last as long.

Some grades of stainless steel might, but the cost of such a system woud be prohibitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: