Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Return of the Technics 1200
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Return of the Technics 1200 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I didn't see this in Curt's CES updates...

http://gizmodo.com/the-technics-1200-turntable-is-back-1751157898?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea the MSRP on that? Last I remember back about 15 years ago they were going for near $900 CDN.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one In Memory of Cliffy Sad

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4K USD. Way overpriced, I'd go with a good used one, but guaranteed they'll sell zillions.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a beast, If I was DJ'ing or thought I might drop it down a flight of stairs this would be the one for me

Quote:
The Technics 1200 has long been revered by DJs for its high-torque, direct-drive platter that ensures flawless mixes and incredibly precise scratch performances.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
$4K USD. Way overpriced, I'd go with a good used one, but guaranteed they'll sell zillions.

Wow! That's a jump in price! Is that the special edition or the regular?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4K or $400?!

Or is that just for the "50th anniversary limited edition Grand Class SL-1200GAE will be available this summer in a run of just 1,200 units"?

How much for the regular (non-magnesium "presumably cheaper SL-1200G, it won’t be available until several months later in late 2016")?

Meh. I'd rather have a vintage one.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I saw was something on my Facebook feed.. twice.. that said $4K. Given the construction quality of the originals, and assuming that nothing got changed to plastic, I'd guess that $4K wouldn't be out of line. After all, it is a high end turntable, but yeah, there's piles of later 1200s out there that weren't used in a smoking club back in the day that are well under $600 used.

Heck, I DJed back on smoking bar 1200s, and they never had an issue.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't high end turn tables. But they are solid. The direct drive and speed correction is clearly audible.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
They aren't high end turn tables. But they are solid. The direct drive and speed correction is clearly audible.
bingo
If your looking for pure audiophile qualities you would do better with a $400. Project Carbon SE

Quote:
The Technics 1200 has long been revered by DJs for its high-torque, direct-drive platter that ensures flawless mixes and incredibly precise scratch performances. It doesn’t look like Panasonic has messed with the form factor of the classic SL-1200 for the new ‘G’, but there are some key improvements inside. Direct-drive turntables like the Technics SL-1200 have sufficient torque to get its platter spinning at the appropriate speed almost instantly. But vibrations in the motor, which cause subtle speed fluctuations, do take away from the vinyl listening experience.With the new SL-1200G, Panasonic and Technics developed a direct-drive motor that’s lacking the iron core often blamed for those speed fluctuations in the platter. Any remaining vibrations from the turntable’s electric motor are further suppressed and corrected using new processor-controlled rotational positioning sensors inside the SL-1200G’s housing.

typically with Hifi tables the motor is just barely powerful to spin the platter at all, some even require a push start. Then very high mass design in the platter is used to maintain speed stability through inertia.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how does one buy such a thing when they are not sold in the USA? Amusingly, Amazon UK sells it with a big fat disclaimer for Yanks for F-off.

Do I want to get back into the big spinny thing? Yes, but I fear the costs involved. I haven't owned vinyl in more than a couple of decades.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Do I want to get back into the big spinny thing? Yes, but I fear the costs involved. I haven't owned vinyl in more than a couple of decades.
A $400 turntable, $85. cleaning machine, and some $2. or $3. thrift store records will blow your socks off Wink
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not knocking a $400 turntable. I'm saying if I can't get a seller to send me the dang thing because of borders then recommending something has its limits. I suppose I could get Curt to source me one on the black market he frequents LOL

Seriously though, I am looking and just need recommendations. A ttable and cartridge <US$1K for instance. Of course I could go made buying vinyl. I have little control sometimes.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I'm not knocking a $400 turntable. I'm saying if I can't get a seller to send me the dang thing because of borders then recommending something has its limits. I suppose I could get Curt to source me one on the black market he frequents LOL

Seriously though, I am looking and just need recommendations. A ttable and cartridge <US$1K for instance. Of course I could go made buying vinyl. I have little control sometimes.

simple
this
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-DC-Black/dp/B00IIMXATU

+ this
http://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-STARTER-RECORD-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B0143O5RME

just add LP's
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Rega RP1?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: I bit da bullet Reply with quote

OK, I bit the bullet and went and took home something. Thoughts?

IMG_1063sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.86 KB
 Viewed:  14159 Time(s)

IMG_1063sm.jpg

IMG_1062sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  254.85 KB

IMG_1062sm.jpg

IMG_1061sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.79 KB

IMG_1061sm.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap, crackle and pop. I smiled like a kid caught in a candy store with a wad of cash. Mr. Green

Put the 180 gram Dark Side of the moon on and I started laughing in delight. Completely uncalibrated setup as I did a quickie move and play.

Re-purposed a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX from 2002-3, a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's (v.5) from ~2009, and the Rega. Reusing them Bluejean cables and voila!

I have not calibrated the Pioneer, which sat unused from a previous DIY HT and got replaced for digital additives. Glad I did not get rid of it.

And the sound in the recently tiled rooms was smooth, warm and f*cking A!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey congarts om your first (modern?) TT . The RP1 is a Rega and i'm a Rega fan. That said it's pretty expensive for what you get. No matter, Rega makes a good tonearm and the speed should be pretty stable. Thumbs Up

Be sure to get the tracking weight set correctly and also anti-skate. i feel foolish now but I didn't figure out anti-skate until months after I bought my P-5. It's really kinda hidden .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpTmaBcUIs

Edit- there's no anti skate adjustment and tracking weight is set by just shoving the counter weight all the way forward. It's obviously their attempt to make a table that's as beginner friendly as possible, and that's ok. This isn't a deck you would put money into but rather sell and replace should you get bored or get the itch to upgrade or whatever. Ideally however, it's best just to enjoy and listen to music.

Oh and surface noise should be minimal or non+existent. All those pops and ticks are dirt in the grooves which comes out with a record washing machine.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I bit da bullet Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
OK, I bit the bullet and went and took home something. Thoughts?

I see the Who's Quadrophenia, did you just buy that brand new?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it wasn't what I expected. I was browsing through a shop's vinyl section, boxed sets and was stoked at seeing this. unfortunately i got it home and when I opened it there wasn't a single LP inside. Instead, this LP-footprinted boxed collection of 5 CDs was inside.

I raised cain in an email to the retailer. I got a response yesterday with an apology, willingness to take it back and their own surprise that this wasn't a vinyl offering. I was expecting a boxed set of maybe the remastered double LP of the original.

While I am glad that the shop is willing to take this back--even opened--I was disappointed in that I wanted this to be my first play on my return to vinyl. Oh well, live and learn. Instead, I listened to DSotM and WYWH. BTW, the NIN:PHM is the wife's. LOL

Listening to these using a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's (v5) and a re-purposed Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. I like the response to the 20's, but I think I may want to take it up a notch. Unfortunately, Paradigm's have gotten expensive compared to 2003 pricing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: