Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco graphics 801s any good?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Barco graphics 801s any good? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i'm able to buy a graphics 801s, currently i own a vision 701 mm is this a good upgrade?

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, but hopefully it's close to free, as the 801 isn't really worth anything at this point. I do know that CRT projectors are harder to find in Europe than here in North America. If the blue tube shows no wear, then maybe $100-150 Euros?
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
It is, but hopefully it's close to free, as the 801 isn't really worth anything at this point. I do know that CRT projectors are harder to find in Europe than here in North America. If the blue tube shows no wear, then maybe $100-150 Euros?

for 60 euro's near by i think this is a good deal Cool

thank's curt for the reply

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my 801s for over 10 years and was very happy with the 720, but now that I've gone 1080 it'd be hard to go back.
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelaratrod wrote:
I ran my 801s for over 10 years and was very happy with the 720, but now that I've gone 1080 it'd be hard to go back.

i know it can do 720p can it do 1080p or is that stretching it? and wil 720p/1080i on a '8' machine look better than on a '7'?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see there are two diffrent ones the 'graphics' and the 'data' the data isn't as good as the graphics. If the spec's say that the max resolution is 1600x1200 will it do 1080p? Confused and is the owners manual of the data the same as the graphics?
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to do 1080p on either. 1080i will look immensely better.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 1080i is perfect and if you have a video processor (or PC video card with custom timings) that can do 1080i @ 72Hz you can match a 1080p24 source without any loss.

Last edited by AVphile on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the way to go now is RGBHV? i'm using on my 7 machine component, with sync on green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my barco graphics in and it's got HD8 colored lenses intalled is that standart or is it a upgrade? the inside looks clean
and got a lot of work ahead of me wish me luck Cool

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the tubes - they have tinted coolant as standard.
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVphile wrote:

only no blue coolant in my lens just standart coolant weird Confused

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
AVphile wrote:

only no blue coolant in my lens just standart coolant weird Confused

That's correct - the blue tube is never tinted, only the red and green. By the way it's not the lenses but the actual tubes that are tinted in the 801.

The colors are going to be awesome dude. Thumbs Up
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

were are the focus pots located? Is it the upper pots or the lower pots on the G2 board?

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
were are the focus pots located? Is it the upper pots or the lower pots on the G2 board?

The top trim pots in the below image.

http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco500_Layout11.shtm

Its unlikely that you can get a really sharp image but you should get a good viewing image from the 801. I had a 1101 which is your set but with 9 inch Sony tubes and it was a good projector particularly when hooked to a BD player. I ran mine at 720p/60. This resolution produced a rich picture and a clear image. I found 1080i/72 sharper but color was some what washed out. See what you think.
barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to install my 801s this weekend. I know how to set it al up but i'm little lost, what is the best steps to take to get it all working. I'm getting a dude to lift the sucker on to a little table and get it centred and on the right height and distance, but that's it.
in what order do i get it al centered, do i follow the instructions that the projector setup guide take's me or is there a quick and easy way? do i delete the old memory bloks and start from scratch etc? Embarassed
and how about perfect scheimpflug adjustment on a barco 801s?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow my guide here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco_Setup_Quick_Reference_Guide.shtm

If that's too advanced, heed the warning at the top of the guide that says to simply use the setup manual.

Kal

barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problems, problems:

first of all i can't get it ti fit to the screen i did some tweaking on the master width pod to get my h size ok only the v size is al outa wack can't get it smaller because it's totally to zero and i need it to be a little bit smaller is it something to do with my screen size setup on my barco?

and some light flickering saying 'proces cycles' and a steady light saying 'block match' is that ok?

also the green light indicators on the tubes are randomly on when starting up and when displaying a movie only the green light indicator lights up some g2 problems?

and finaly i got bad corner focus red and yellow is good with the grid pattern but when playing a movie you see yellow and red showing in the corners maybe deflection yokes? in the barco their not upright?
or the astig magnets?

update: when i ckecked the hours of the pj it said 20.000 hours!!!!!!! but it's not noticible in the picture can it be that the tubes
will survive longer or is this a sign that the tubes had been replaced????

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
problems, problems:

first of all i can't get it ti fit to the screen i did some tweaking on the master width pod to get my h size ok only the v size is al outa wack can't get it smaller because it's totally to zero and i need it to be a little bit smaller is it something to do with my screen size setup on my barco?

You'll need to adjust the pots to go smaller.

Quote:
and some light flickering saying 'proces cycles' and a steady light saying 'block match' is that ok?

Yes.

Quote:
also the green light indicators on the tubes are randomly on when starting up and when displaying a movie only the green light indicator lights up some g2 problems?

Possibly. I'm not sure. (It's been about 10 years since I played on a Barco 800 series chassis). If in doubt, go through and do the G2 setup.

Quote:
and finaly i got bad corner focus red and yellow is good with the grid pattern but when playing a movie you see yellow and red showing in the corners maybe deflection yokes? in the barco their not upright?
or the astig magnets?

Possibly. Go through all of them and make sure they're set up ok. It could simply be convergence.

Quote:
update: when i ckecked the hours of the pj it said 20.000 hours!!!!!!! but it's not noticible in the picture can it be that the tubes
will survive longer or is this a sign that the tubes had been replaced????

The chassis can easily do 30-50K hours. You'll get a lot of drift, but you probably already have it given the age of the unit and the state the electrolytic capacitors are in. As long as the tubes look ok that's all that matters. The age of the tubes doesn't matter. See: http://www.curtpalme.com/TubeCondition.shtm

The unit may have been left on for years with the tubes muted.

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcodude wrote:
problems, problems:

]

You will need to do a modification to the V board, this is a common issue with many Barco chassis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: