Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Expanse , new syfy series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: The Expanse , new syfy series Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
this looks really promising, based on a series of books called Leviathan Wakes. Anyone try it yet?

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/101-dulcinea

View user's photo album (2 photos)
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason DirecTV has the first episode available via On Demand hours before its premiere on the SyFy channel later tonight.

I'm watching it right now!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I-tunes had the first episode free so I watched it last night thru my Apple TV. It looks promising, the story is a little bland at this point but hopefully they develop it further.
The characters are a little wooden too but everything can't be Game of Thrones right?

It's certainly better than recent "space garbage" including Dark Matter . If it's as good As Firefly I will be happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first few minutes and I thought "Earth lording it over the solar system, Mars a separate military power, abused Belters providing all the resources for everybody else... haven't I read this story before ??" But if they do a good job of it, more power to 'em.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
abused Belters providing all the resources for everybody else..
yeah the "abused belters" are a lot like the Mars rejects on Total Recall , so that part was a little annoying as I hated TR.

garyfritz wrote:
haven't I read this story before ??" But if they do a good job of it, more power to 'em.
well all Sci-fi is going to be rehash of something or other done before. Hopefully the story is at least engaging and characters not made of Wood or lame Hollywood stereotypes.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was uneven, but I hope it gets better. My best friend loves it.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
abused Belters providing all the resources for everybody else..
yeah the "abused belters" are a lot like the Mars rejects on Total Recall , so that part was a little annoying as I hated TR.

Oh it goes back a lot further than that. Larry Niven had Belters in his Known Space series, 20-25 years before TR (the forum won't accept the Wiki link but it's at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belter_(Niven) ), and he wasn't the only one. I don't think Niven had Mars as a separate military power, but lots of other story lines did.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up to episode 4 you can watch it free here but AdBlock plus is a good idea or ignore the ads to the right. No need to register any account and no commercials...

http://www.couchtuner.fr/
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f*cking Apple Thumbs Down
They want $20. to show what is FREE on the internet. I mean you can go straight to syfy website and watch, or pay Apple. Hmmm, lets see, they didn't make it, don't own it, but they can sell it, OK, makes sense. Rolling Eyes
Luckily they have Dailymotion as a standard tile and there's episodes on there.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in desperate need of a good book, and after drudgeing through some crap from the library, I went ahead and got this book. OMG it's so good, forget the TV show until you read this . I just can't believe how well written it is. After reading George MArtin I thought to myself "I'll never find another author this good" but I was wrong. This guy is a master, and I can see why they chose to make it a TV show. I think the show is crap though compared to the books .

I mean game of thrones did really well in relation to the books for the first 4 seasons, then S-5 was sh*t , but they started off well.
The Syfy Expanse is almost nothing like the book. The characters on TV are shallow and they have all the political drama written in as well, I think to try and make it like GOT.

The Book is just about 2 people, Miller the cop and James Holden, the CEO of the Canterbury, who are experiencing this series of events from different perspectives. You really grow to like and empathize with both of them too. I am grateful to syfy for making me aware of the story though.

Only bad part is with a book this good you wind up staying up too late and tired the next day at work. Read till midnight last night, tired Neutral
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, that is interesting. I like the show, but sometimes I feel they jump around from scene to scene to quickly to follow the plotlines.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
They want $20. to show what is FREE on the internet. I mean you can go straight to syfy website and watch, or pay Apple. Hmmm, lets see, they didn't make it, don't own it, but they can sell it, OK, makes sense. Rolling Eyes

As usual, you're ranting about sh*t you don't understand. Apple doesn't buy and sell music and movies and they don't set the prices. They provide a platform - like a consignment store - for content owners to sell their own content. It's the content owners who set the prices, not Apple. Your beef is with the studio, not Apple. Are you pissed at eBay when you see somebody selling something for too much money?

In fact, Apple tried years ago to get the music studios to lower their prices to 69 cents per track instead of 99 cents, and the studio wouldn't do it. Then, when Apple tried to get the studios to let them take the DRM off the tracks sold in the iTunes store, the studios made them give on flexible pricing so the studios could price popular tracks at $1.29. You can thank greedy studios.

Further, the show is free on the Syfy website only if you already have a subscription to a TV provider where you're paying for SyFy.

So, you can pay a sat/cable provider a subscription fee and watch the show either on your cable/sat system, or on the the SyFy website. Or, if you're cable cutter, you can pay the studio $20 indirectly via Apple to watch it there. Is that easy enough for you to understand?

draganm wrote:

So, you watched it on a website where people upload sh*t they don't own... Some people call that stealing.

f*cking ignorant people.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Hmmmm, that is interesting. I like the show, but sometimes I feel they jump around from scene to scene to quickly to follow the plotlines.
yeah i think they're trying to make it " game of thrones in space" when all they had to do was tell the story right from the book which is excellent. it's pathetic when some show producer doesn't eve understand why a story is great, thrones is great not because it has 12 story arcs all going at the same time but because every one of those stories is interesting and the people are real, believable, you empathize with them. Throwing in a bunch of unnecessary plots just to add filler is about as misguided as can be.

ecrabb wrote:
As usual, you're ranting about sh*t you don't understand. Apple doesn't buy and sell music and movies and they don't set the prices. They provide a platform - like a consignment store - for content owners to sell their own content. It's the content owners who set the prices, not Apple. Your beef is with the studio, not Apple. Are you pissed at eBay when you see somebody selling something for too much money?
So, you can pay a sat/cable provider a subscription fee and watch the show either on your cable/sat system, or on the the SyFy website. Or, if you're cable cutter, you can pay the studio $20 indirectly via Apple to watch it there. Is that easy enough for you to understand?

draganm wrote:

So, you watched it on a website where people upload sh*t they don't own... Some people call that stealing.

f*cking ignorant people.

SC
alright fine, I'll pay apple their $20. extortion fee.

Sheesh, so many angry people on this forum! Twisted Evil
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

You mean like this guy, right?
draganm wrote:

Twisted Evil Laughing

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:

You mean like this guy, right?
draganm wrote:

Twisted Evil Laughing

SC
yeah that guy needs some meds Wink

I wound up not paying apple the $20., not because $20. is a lot of money but because my wife, who's account I was logging in on, got herself locked out of her own Apple account Laughing

At any rate, it's out on DVD now, and I got the first disc Friday for Netflix. Man the pic and sound are both really low quality. It looks like a VCR tape transferred to DVD
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so finished episodes 4 thru 7 on disc 2, LOVE this show, it's really well done. You can tell they hired some really talented people to write the script/dialogue . Acting is on par with the very best HBO series. Just How good is it? Well I watched every episode twice.

The story might be a little hard to follow if you haven't read the books, there's a lot of story lines that will eventually coalesce into a unified plot (I promise) but even If you haven't read the books I think it's still understandable.

If you were a Firefly fan circa 2002 then you should really get hooked on this. It's the best sci-fi series since Firefly, nothing else even comes close. Forget star gate and Babylon 5 sh*t, this is real science fiction.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree very watchable, now I need to track down the book.... probably should be able to find that on some Pirate Bay type site right? Wink
Have you watched Colony? if not you should check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLW-qQLMQs
View user's photo album (4 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I agree very watchable, now I need to track down the book.... probably should be able to find that on some Pirate Bay type site right? Wink

we have this place here called a Library, works really well and it's free. Wink

I've read all 5 books, first 2 are excellent, 3 and 4 are still very good, and 5 is better than 3 & 4 , not quite as good as the first 2, probably just because the story isn't as fresh and exciting as when you first start a series. Otherwise all are very well written.

Looking forward to Babylon's Ashes in November.

jask wrote:
Have you watched Colony? if not you should check it out.
I didn't like any of the other stuff that director did but I'll check it out.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which direcor? They have had a few.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuse, the guy who did Lost
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: