Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's got their Star Wars tickets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
barcodude wrote:
AMAZING!!!!! the movie tick's all the boxes! back to the roots Thumbs Up

yeah you can really check off the boxes you go Thumbs Up

lonely teenager stuck on Desert planet
Funky alien bar scene with saxaphone music
Escape from Imperial storm troopers
Secret Death-Star
visit to secluded planet for help
Oh no! we've been found
Must turn off Death star shields
"I'm your father!"
light saber duel
attack on death star =Kaboom! hooray!
award ceremony, BUT, It's not over

Can't wait for Episode 8, attack on Ice planet

Spanky Ham wrote:
Ray seemed to go from knowing nothing about the force to Jedi Master in two minutes..
ask any teenager and you'll get the same impression, anyone can do anything they really want to and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to be a master of it Laughing
View user's photo album (2 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And her dad had to go camp in a swamp for a few weeks before he caught on. But like Dragan said, any teenager would tell you their parents are lame... Smile
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't low guys, I think this movie was meant to be like the old ones and more....I can't find the word . But your all thinking too much about it.

This review sums it up exactly as what i took out of the movie .

Especially the first paragraph...... SPOILER ALERTS IN REVIEW !!!!!!

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-vii---the-force-awakens-2015

“Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens” is the film that J.J. Abrams was put on Earth to make, as evidenced by the "Star Wars" echoes in his hit series "Lost,” and the way he kept trying to turn "Star Trek" into "Star Wars." These tendencies could seem cutesy or irritating elsewhere, but they make sense in an according-to-Hoyle "Star Wars" movie. This new one, set 30 years after the events of "Return of the Jedi,” is funny, touching, and surprisingly light-footed. It boasts a lot of familiar elements, including Skywalker family mythology and another Death Star-type weapon, as well as self-aware lines about how things work in this series. The film ultimately runs up against the limitations of its own nature: like the James Bond films, the “Star Wars” movies are pretty much obligated to revisit certain elements, to the point where they might feel played out even if they hadn’t been raided by other films, TV shows and books (including Harry Potter). But it’s still an exhilarating ride, filled with archetypal characters with plausible psychologies, melodramatic confrontations fueled by soaring emotions, and performances that can be described as good, period, rather than "good, for 'Star Wars.'".........

I put this even with Empire Strike's back .....maybe a notch above .

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 movies in the original trilogy, and for the most part even the schlockfest of the first trilogy, at least had some original storytelling. The Force Awakens was a fun movie, no question, but it was a TOTAL rehash of A New Hope. Different names, different faces, but the storyline was a total ripoff.

(And oh BTW Dragan you forgot the "cute robot with essential secret info, must get him to the Resistance")
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it this afternoon. I couldn't agree more. Great picture and sound but it was deja vu all over again. There seems to be more originality in TV then there is in cinema these days. I'm waiting for Batman 28 and Spiderman 32.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
what?
Empire is seen as the best SW move ever, and when it came out no one had ever seen anything like it. E7 is like taking 5 day old meat-loaf, heating it up in the microwave, and saying " man, this is even better than when we first baked it". Wink

garyfritz wrote:
(And oh BTW Dragan you forgot the "cute robot with essential secret info, must get him to the Resistance")
of course, how could I possibly forget the cute droid , oh wait, I've already forgotten the whole movie Laughing

paw wrote:
I saw it this afternoon. I couldn't agree more. Great picture and sound but it was deja vu all over again. There seems to be more originality in TV then there is in cinema these days. I'm waiting for Batman 28 and Spiderman 32.
That's pretty much it, it's played out, jumped the shark, etc. No wonder Lucas sold it, yeah he could have made another billion dollars on it, or
just sell the rights, walk away with 4 billion f-in dollars, and never have to listen to another light saber WHOOSH, droid chirp, or tired "dark side" reference again.

It wasn't a bad movie, not fair to say it was total sh*t like Hobbit 2 & 3, but I'm just bored with it. If you look at Abrams Star Trek stuff it's the same. I have been watching a lot of the OS, and they were so good. I mean Roddenberry really wove in Social commentary, morality, racial issues, and a slew of other topics into almost all the episodes. There's none of that now, today's movies are junk food, empty calories, etc. It's a 3rd grade plot masked over with endless shooting and explosions.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times left overs taste better than when fresh Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

barcodude

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no bad criticism from me i loved it Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in complete agreement with Gary and Dragan.

I will say that my best friend said that Rey was probably trained by Luke before he left. That gives a little more substance to her quick learning, but I still don't buy going from zero to sixty in one second.

Nashou66 wrote:
I don't low guys, I think this movie was meant to be like the old ones and more....I can't find the word . But your all thinking too much about it.

This review sums it up exactly as what i took out of the movie .

Especially the first paragraph...... SPOILER ALERTS IN REVIEW !!!!!!

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-vii---the-force-awakens-2015

“Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens” is the film that J.J. Abrams was put on Earth to make, as evidenced by the "Star Wars" echoes in his hit series "Lost,” and the way he kept trying to turn "Star Trek" into "Star Wars." These tendencies could seem cutesy or irritating elsewhere, but they make sense in an according-to-Hoyle "Star Wars" movie. This new one, set 30 years after the events of "Return of the Jedi,” is funny, touching, and surprisingly light-footed. It boasts a lot of familiar elements, including Skywalker family mythology and another Death Star-type weapon, as well as self-aware lines about how things work in this series. The film ultimately runs up against the limitations of its own nature: like the James Bond films, the “Star Wars” movies are pretty much obligated to revisit certain elements, to the point where they might feel played out even if they hadn’t been raided by other films, TV shows and books (including Harry Potter). But it’s still an exhilarating ride, filled with archetypal characters with plausible psychologies, melodramatic confrontations fueled by soaring emotions, and performances that can be described as good, period, rather than "good, for 'Star Wars.'".........

Complete Horsesh$t!!! There is a lot of great storylines in the expanded universe. If JJ wasn't so intent on bringing back Mark, Harrison and Carrie, then he could have went further into the future with Legacy. Hell, he could have mined that for three movies and then done a prequel.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Legacy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I will say that my best friend said that Rey was probably trained by Luke before he left.

Nah. The Jedi Knights were a fairy tale to her. She thought they were just a legend until Han (who she thought was also a legend) told her he knew them personally. There's no way she knew her father was the last Jedi.

The movie is very unclear about this, but I got the impression her parent[s] blasted off when she was very young. She had very little memory of them but she held onto the hope they would come back. That's why she didn't want to leave Jakku.

Quote:
That gives a little more substance to her quick learning, but I still don't buy going from zero to sixty in one second.

Yeah, I didn't get the impression she knew ANYthing about the Force, not even what a Jedi could do. And she had absoLUTEly no idea that SHE had Jedi blood in her, so why should she think she could be like those fabled wizards? So her suddenly Force-hypnotizing a stormtrooper, and then!! defeating Kylo Ren (who was personally trained by the Big Bad) in a lightsaber battle, when she had never even held a lightsaber before... I found that pretty hard to swallow. I mean sure, she was good in a fight with her stick, and the midichlorians (gag) run strong in her family, but they do in Ren's too.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this LA Time review sums it up

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Some times left overs taste better than when fresh Wink

Nashou
Sarma yes, Thumbs Up Star Wars= no

paw wrote:
I think this LA Time review sums it up

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html
lol, learned a new word " Requel" , which I think is a regurgitated prequel.
Quote:

Why be creative when that will merely interfere with merchandising, and when recycling is more dependably profitable?
why indeed? If you have a money machine that keeps pumping out hundreds of millions of dollars why waste time on "creativity".

Quote:
For Disney, "Star Wars" will be the gift that keeps giving. You, the consumer, are the mark who keeps paying.
I'm done paying. Wink Not going to waste any money on another Avenger, Batman, Start wars, James bond, or anything else puked out by the Disney entertainment Corp. or it's movie-making twins.

really the state of movie making now is pathetic. There is so much trash out there, I can't even find anything to rent on Netflix worth watching.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**minor spoilers**

I just got back from this. Hated the shocker. BUT I think you guys that are saying it's a rehash are missing the point. That is what was needed in this movie. We needed a rehash to catch up with the characters, to see what the heck they been up to for 30 years. I treated this as a "Pilot" episode. In a Pilot you need time to (re)introduce the characters and get the ball rolling.

This film did that. It was great to see all the old characters again, catch up and see where they are at. I liked the nod to the original film, same structure, same outline and some new characters added. Excellent!! Thumbs Up

As for Rey's character. She's heard of the force. When her and Kylo Ren are in the Vulcan mind meld she realizes it works both ways. So if he can use the force why can't she?
...and who didn't laugh at the guard/stormtrooper at her cell when she told him to unlock the restraints, leave the cell with the door open....and oh yea, drop yer gun too! Laughing I loved that!

My only complaint? DLP theater projectors suck! huge pixles and a center hot spot on the screen. Reminded me of the opening of "The Phantom Menace" and just how truly terrible a digital picture can be. I would love to see this printed on 70mm and projected properly. I would pay extra for that gladly!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** more spoilers **

AnalogRocks wrote:
BUT I think you guys that are saying it's a rehash are missing the point. That is what was needed in this movie. We needed a rehash to catch up with the characters, to see what the heck they been up to for 30 years.

That's not what bothered me. I agree, it was kinda fun to see the old characters and see how they fit in. But I didn't like the fact that the story line was practically an exact copy of the plot of episode IV. They told the same story again, with different faces. That shows an astounding lack of imagination and creativity. And, most likely, an astounding lack of any backbone on Disney's part. I can just imagine the suits saying "Hey, this story worked well the first time, let's play it safe and use that story again!" Sheesh.

Quote:
As for Rey's character. She's heard of the force. When her and Kylo Ren are in the Vulcan mind meld she realizes it works both ways. So if he can use the force why can't she?

Luke studied exhaustively for weeks? months? with the greatest living Jedi master in order to learn his tricks. Vader studied for years with Obi-Wan. And we're supposed to believe Rey, who's barely heard of the Force, sees Kylo trying to use it on her and suddenly she's a master, who can out-Force the hand-picked disciple of the Big Bad and defeat him in single combat? Doesn't work for me.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
** more spoilers **

AnalogRocks wrote:
BUT I think you guys that are saying it's a rehash are missing the point. That is what was needed in this movie. We needed a rehash to catch up with the characters, to see what the heck they been up to for 30 years.

That's not what bothered me. I agree, it was kinda fun to see the old characters and see how they fit in. But I didn't like the fact that the story line was practically an exact copy of the plot of episode IV. They told the same story again, with different faces. That shows an astounding lack of imagination and creativity. And, most likely, an astounding lack of any backbone on Disney's part. I can just imagine the suits saying "Hey, this story worked well the first time, let's play it safe and use that story again!" Sheesh.

Quote:

Luke studied exhaustively for weeks? months? with the greatest living Jedi master in order to learn his tricks. Vader studied for years with Obi-Wan. And we're supposed to believe Rey, who's barely heard of the Force, sees Kylo trying to use it on her and suddenly she's a master, who can out-Force the hand-picked disciple of the Big Bad and defeat him in single combat? Doesn't work for me.

Gary "The force is strong in this one!" I think that's the direction they were headed in with Rey's character.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
** more spoilers **

AnalogRocks wrote:

Quote:

Gary "The force is strong in this one!" I think that's the direction they were headed in with Rey's character.

Leah , too overcame the dark side of the force when Darth Vaders attempt to get the rebel base location . She was never trained formal in it and didn't even know she had it, but no one said how did she manage to fight it off? It was not as in your face as with Rey, but none the less she used to to thwart Darths attempts and that was his daughter !!!!

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest Lucas never used any obvious mind-manipulation stuff in ANH beyond "These aren't the droids you're looking for." I don't think that concept was really developed yet. When Vader interrogated Leia he used the bogus "floating droid with a big honkin' needle" approach. Certainly at the time I didn't get the impression he was Forcing it out of her, or that she was resisting the Force. He does say "Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable," but I always assumed he meant the drugs administered by the droid. *shrug* Hard telling. I think a lot of stuff got retconned into the canon. Very Happy
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paw's link above said it best. Disney will regurgitate the same storyline for each generation.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

My only complaint? DLP theater projectors suck! huge pixles and a center hot spot on the screen. Reminded me of the opening of "The Phantom Menace" and just how truly terrible a digital picture can be. I would love to see this printed on 70mm and projected properly. I would pay extra for that gladly!

I feel bad for you, you must have seen this on a 2K or lower res projector. The 3 Chip NEC DLP I saw this in tonight at a marcus cinema looked good as far as pixels went... What pixels? I didnt see a stray one anywhere, that was pretty impressive. What I DID notice that sucked... the idiots couldnt even focus in the bottom half of the screen, so the whole lower half was out of focus from the upper which looked great... aside from the KEYSTONE.... I mean its like they plopped the thing on a table and zoomed it in, slapped the realD in front of the lens and called it a day...

The ultra loungers were nice though Thumbs Up

Overall I loved the movie, but I too hated the shocker (I'm half tempted to write to Disney about that!). Still, can't wait to see the next one!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
We needed a rehash to catch up with the characters, to see what the heck they been up to for 30 years. I treated this as a "Pilot" episode. In a Pilot you need time to (re)introduce the characters and get the ball rolling.
no, WE didn't . Maybe 13 year olds in the audience did, but even my kids have seen all the originals. However, I'll forgive you for being a Start Wars franchise apologist UberFan Wink

Jeremy112 wrote:
I feel bad for you, you must have seen this on a 2K or lower res projector. The 3 Chip NEC DLP I saw this in tonight at a marcus cinema looked good as far as pixels went... What pixels? I didnt see a stray one anywhere, that was pretty impressive. What I DID notice that sucked...
our picture and sound were Excellent. This was at the local AMC cineplex in a little cow town, so I feel particularly fortunate as I was able to really enjoy the visuals and try not to dwell on the movie version of "pink-slime hamburger-filler" story line. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: