Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC PG6 Plus very dim and only power buttons work

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJAnderson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: NEC PG6 Plus very dim and only power buttons work Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
This projector has worked great up until the other night. When it is powered on, all 3 tubes come on and show a picture that is very dim. Also it is not converged. I am able to turn it on and shut it off with both the remote and the buttons on the back of the projector, but none of the other buttons work. The 2 digit screen is showing “00”.

After power cycling it a few times, it no longer shows anything on the tubes. If I leave it off for an extended period, and turn it on again, the dim picture comes back.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? (Thanks in advance!)
-Mark
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, others may respond, but in my opinion, it is terminal. NEC PGs are known for bad capacitors that leak, and you'll have those happening on every board. As a result, I've thrown out all my NEC PG parts stock, as even if you fix one board, another will follow in short order. The set is over 20 years old. It's served you well. Time to upgrade. If you want to stick with CRT, I can get you into a perfect shape higher end NEC XG for very little money. The later XG sets have shown no sign of leaking capacitors at this point.

The remote and ceiling bracket are the same as the PG, or if you want to get away from CRT, then it's time to go digital.

Curt
MJAnderson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! …That’s what I was afraid I was going to hear.

It has had a good life, was hoping to get a bit more out of it. Smile I would definitely like to stick with a CRT projector, but I have to budget for a replacement before I can buy a new one. Are the prices in the “Products for sale” link close to the going rate for them?

Thanks again!
-Mark
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,heck no! Very Happy Shoot me an email at curtpalme@shaw.ca

They'll be cheaper than you think. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: