Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ampro 4600 green tube arcing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incova

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Ampro 4600 green tube arcing. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys,

My hvps restarted when I turned on my pj after quite a while, I opened the Ampro up and saw a spark where the lead connects from the splitter onto the top Head of the Green crt.

It been a while since I have done anything on the pj, can I just take the green lead out of the spiltter and try turning on the pj without the green tube getting power or do I have to remove the neckboards etc?

I am hoping nothing else is damaged and that I can just get a new lead in, if this is the case whats the best way to remove the lead and what do you use to seal it down back into the tube?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been remiss in your CRT duties as of late huh?

Unplug the mains, hit the power button on the remote to drain off the power. Then unplug the HV lead and power the set back up.

I changed the one in my Ampro 4000 a few years back see here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=26

I carefully worked the suction cup edge with a single edged razor blade

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
incova

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Hey! Reply with quote

Hah, do you sleep!?

I will try that out and get back to you, I am thinking I will have to get a new lead of Curt, I do however have spare leads on some other tubes I have maybe I could switch it with one of those?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey! Reply with quote

incova wrote:
Hah, do you sleep!?

I will try that out and get back to you, I am thinking I will have to get a new lead of Curt, I do however have spare leads on some other tubes I have maybe I could switch it with one of those?

Use a magnifying glass to inspect your leads on the other tubes, If you see no nicks or holes or burn marks you can re-use.
Take it off the old tube very slowly with the single edged razor blade. Squeeze the clip gently with a pair of pliers to disengage it from the tube.

You know maybe try this on a practice run on the bad tube first?

If you cut at a flat angle and don't cut too much off the suction cup you can re-use it.

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PMed you, but yes, you can take out the green wire from the splitter, and I'm sure the set will be fine. The lead is siliconed onto the tube, it needs to be cut off with a knife. You may not see a burn mark, it needs to arc continuously before you see arc marks on the insulation. Here's how to take the lead off:

http://www.curtpalme.com/HV_Lead_Removal.shtm
incova

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Took the lead off but the hvps continues to restart?

There is no more arcing so it must be the green tube, maybe I can disconnect all three tubes then reconnect one at a time? The tube still has the neck board connected I have only taken off the lead from the splitter.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ampro HVPS are known to always restart, it's a common problem. I believe there is a way to bypass or reduce the sensitivity of the shutdown circuit, let me check my notes to see if I can find that.
incova

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: right Reply with quote

Took off the red tube as well, HVPS still restarting, it comes on for half a second then off again and restart.

I had the back open and was watching the pj, when the HVPS restarts either CR38 or CR39 the little red leds on the cpu board lit up, then goes off. DOes this information mean anything to anyone?

incova

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: HVPS switched our Reply with quote

Hey guys, I changed the hvps, I had a spare handy as I know how reliable they are, I had the red and green disconnected form the splitter and the pj came on no restarts!

So now its just the green tube.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. Wink
Run it for a week, sometimes the Spellmans repair themselves for a few days, then do it again.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need TSE to pop in. He helped me with my Ampro restart problem

CRT.

HD done right!
incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: OK, Reply with quote

Been lucky so far I had a spare HVPS so I replaced the one restarting, I also had a spare tube form my 4300 a green no less. I tested the pj with the old green tube, wire out of the splitter and it worked well no restarts. I then pulled out the lens and tube as one and put in the 4300 green tube with the neckboard from the 4300 which I remember being the same as the 4600 neck board. The reason for this being there is one less pin on the 4300 tube so just on case something was modified I figured the neck board should be ok with it.

I then put another lens on the green tube and put it on and I really thought the green was a dud, basically it looked totally out of focus. I had a look at the tube face and it looked ok almost as sharp as the red. So I played with the focus yoke but that was fine, then tried the astig, the astig is shot, I have to redo it totally which is going to be fun because I can never remember how to do that, I also have to get the green c element switched on the tubes as well.

In short, if you have never done the astigmatism on your pj theres a good chance unless its been set properly that you are killing its performance, just my two cents.

Hopefully by this weekend I would have sorted this all out.

Thanks for all the help gents, as usual, anyone got some gold as to doing the atig on here, I have read the manual and curts page but any tips would be great. Astig always get me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: