Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

When good CRT stuff goes bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tinman wrote:
One reason not visit Curt..... no room for guests!

Honestly, I do NOT miss my CRT's any more. Much like Curt, I realized that I couldn't stay ahead of the capacitor rot much longer. So I stopped while ahead.

For a long time I repaired and calibrated broadcast video monitors. Early this year I scrapped all remaining parts and CRT's.

End of an era.....

Hey Marc, you got any parts for a SONY PVM xxx Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
lovebohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to purge some of my junk too. Will Best Buy take a bare CRT tube? If not where do you guys recycle your stuff?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
C'mon, we've all done it. You Your Wife tosses something to the curb and a few hours later you walk by and think "Maybe I should hang onto this" and you do. Very Happy
yup, happens all the time Laughing

gjaky wrote:
Back to the RTR, I'm curious what about the tapes themselves? As turntables are getting popular again there are vinyl releases. But what about the tape materials, are they still produced or you have to rely on the 20+ years old NOS tapes?
based on what I read at Bottlehead, they find master tapes and pay a fortune from them, then make copies 4 or 5 at at time by linking tape machines. So your getting a brand new tape recorded on fully refurbished and upgraded machines

Tinman wrote:
Honestly, I do NOT miss my CRT's any more. Much like Curt, I realized that I couldn't stay ahead of the capacitor rot much longer. So I stopped while ahead.
For a long time I repaired and calibrated broadcast video monitors. Early this year I scrapped all remaining parts and CRT's.

End of an era.....
TRAITOR................... Wink
it's the ending of an Era, but they were saying " IT's the END" 10 years ago on AVS and look, we're still here. Really, if the tubes themselves didn't involve toxic substances like Lead and Phosphor to make, along with uber expensive glass molding machines under high-vacuum, it would never end completely.
I look on the bright side though, CRT is ending and vinyl is coming back with a vengeance, Hooray ! Thumbs Up
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
C'mon, we've all done it. You Your Wife tosses something to the curb and a few hours later you walk by and think "Maybe I should hang onto this" and you do. Very Happy
yup, happens all the time Laughing

That's classic! Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Yes, CRT is still here, 909s, are selling well, tubes are available, and I see no age related failures yet on 9" sets. With a mean practical life of over 20 years, I'll bet my Barcos will be on the ceiling for 10 years or until I die, whatever comes first.

In other news, I have the third Qualia 004 power supply in 2 weeks that I just repaired, out of a low hour Sony. Go figure.

As an aside, I have to share the story of one of my g/f's friends homes I went to on Friday night. They have a newer home, bought it, and then spent a YEAR doing renovations. Figure on $400K to renovate. Walls moved, etc.

They used a local chain store (not BB) to do the whole home install, and yes, they had a HT. Panasonic projector, don't know which one, but it will be a current model. While the installation and dressing of the wiring seemed OK, I took one look, smiled and walked away. The green push on the Panasonic was awful! The flat screen upstairs was typical technicolor, but at least the whites were white. I'm really glad they didn't ask me my opinion, as I would have replied 'oh, just greeeat' through clenched teeth. Twisted Evil
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many g/fs do you have? Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played! Very Happy
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovebohn wrote:
Will Best Buy take a bare CRT tube? If not where do you guys recycle your stuff?
no not really, they will take a CRT device if you buy another display , or some such.

Start calling local recyclers, the company that comes and empties our recycling bin said " just put it in there".
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
lovebohn wrote:
Will Best Buy take a bare CRT tube? If not where do you guys recycle your stuff?
no not really, they will take a CRT device if you buy another display , or some such.

I took a plastic bin with two full sets of tubes - three 07MP and three 07MSP in there. In fact, I filled an entire shopping cart full of stuff probably four times when we were moving last year, and the bin full of tubes was one of the items. That thing was heavy! One day I had so much in the truck, I would have needed two carts. The store manager said they could only accept a level cart-full in one day. So, I filled the cart - neatly - and took it in. Then I drove to another BBY 10 minutes away, and did the same thing again. Smile

Long story short, I got rid of a bunch of bare tubes and they didn't bat an eyelash. Different store managers may be more/less willing to accept the stuff, but most people live within range of at least 3-4 BBY's, so give it a whirl.

I felt pretty guilty about the amount of crap I dumped on BBY last year when we moved, so I actually went out of my way to buy some stuff there last year. I bought a couple of Panny LED-backlit LCD TVs that were a smokin' deal, a hard drive for Time Machine backups, a couple of miscellaneous odds and ends, a few Blu-rays, and I ended up grabbing a really nice open-box Marantz AVR for the living room. I figure we're probably even now. Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I got rid of a CRT TV (years ago), they would accept one but you had to pay $25. But they gave you a $25 gift card in exchange. Never tried unloading bare CRTs. From your experience, Steve, it sounds like they've eased their policies. I suppose they don't see as many CRTs any more...?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I felt pretty guilty about the amount of crap I dumped on BBY last year when we moved, so I actually went out of my way to buy some stuff there last year. I bought a couple of Panny LED-backlit LCD TVs that were a smokin' deal, a hard drive for Time Machine backups, a couple of miscellaneous odds and ends, a few Blu-rays, and I ended up grabbing a really nice open-box Marantz AVR for the living room. I figure we're probably even now. Wink

SC
LOL, I wonder how many generations it will take before we shed the " white man's Christian guilt " complex . Laughing
I do feel a sense of loyalty though to vendors and service centers who do the right thing and tend to shop there regularly
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Ampro, ECP and Zenith stuff is going to the recycler this weekend. LAST CALL! Very Happy

Will keep limited Ampro 3600/4600 stuff still..
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ECP stuff eh?

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better make a decision quickly! It's all being hauled outside TODAY!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Better make a decision quickly! It's all being hauled outside TODAY!

Sure pack up a big box of ECP stuff.

CRT.

HD done right!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALMOST asked for an old HD10 lens just to take it apart for experimentational purposes. But I am overwhelmed with "fun projects" I haven't even gotten around to touching in months if not years already. Don't need another one.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I ALMOST asked for an old HD10 lens just to take it apart for experimentational purposes. But I am overwhelmed with "fun projects" I haven't even gotten around to touching in months if not years already. Don't need another one.

I have some of those too.

CRT.

HD done right!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave mine to my son's physics teacher. She was thrilled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: