Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Reparing a NEC XG 1100
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reparing a NEC XG 1100 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I've bought recently a XG 1100 and it has this problem: I've turned it on and after few seconds one of the capacitor in the power supply board start smoking out. I've powered it with 230V AC, how can i know if it needs to be powered with 120V AC or 220V? The power supply is a RPS-61009U anyawy.
Thanks for any reply!
Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the sticker with the model number. If it ends with G (for example, XG-1101G), the power supply is designed to operate on 220-240V 50Hz. If it doesn't end with G (for example XG-1101), it operates on 120V 60Hz.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to check the data table at the back of the machine. An european market XG should end with a 'G', in your case XG1100G. Also that sticker should indicate the voltage range of the unit.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! Yes it was 120V 60Hz. I've send in 230v 50Hz but it seems that nothing is blown except a resistor and a capacitor. I've made a inverter from two transformers and with 120V50Hz the standby led lights on and also the numeric display behind the NEC. Tomorrow i'll buy a transofrmer to convert 220V to 120V and i'll see if it works .
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I think it is possible to rewire the PSU to 230V operation.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? How?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need to cut two traces (red) and install a jump wire (green) in the PS Unit as per the drawing.

Let the PS discharge for 15mins when working on it, otherwise it can be lethal!

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i've made the mod. The standby Light lights on but the projector doesn't turn on. A relay switches and the projector return to standby. This afternon i'll check again the power supply. I guess that the 230V the i've sent in for mistake could have burned something. maybe some diode or something else.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be precise the projector turns on for 1 second than it goes in standby. The 7 segment dispaly doesnt' display anything, it turns off for a few seconds and then on again. It seems like the projector resets.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i'm checking the power supply. I don't have any voltage on the connectors. Do Somebody knows how to enable the output on the PS-B Board?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without load on the outputs these supplies don't stay on. But the turn on/off is done by either pulling up or down pin2 of connector MS on the PS Unit.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Without load on the outputs these supplies don't stay on. But the turn on/off is done by either pulling up or down pin2 of connector MS on the PS Unit.

Thanks for the reply! Now it turns of but there is an error "Fb" displayed on the 7 segment display. And the tubes doesn't power on at all. It all powers up except the tubes. I've read the it could be a system PWB error. On the manual it says "Input error for the number of V Lines". I don't understand what that means exactly..
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you know about the background of that unit BTW?
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
What do you know about the background of that unit BTW?
ù

I'll tell you: I bought it from a friend near my town. He gaves me a NEC XG 1351LC and a NEC XG 1100 AC. The XG 110 was disassembled because he needed the tubes to Mount them on the XG 135. I've read that the tubes aren't compatible with the XG 135 LC. He thought that the LC part could be disassembled but on the manual i read that this wasnt' possible. So I assembled back the XG 110. He told me that the one who sold it to him sayed that the projector was fully working. Then, after all was assembled i sent in for mistake 230V AC. I've changed the components the were blown (a capacitor and a resistor) then i followed the mod that you have wrote before. And now I'm in this situation: The projector powers on perfectly but the tubes doesn't power up at all. The EHT had the anode that goes to the splitter ( the one where all the three tubes anodes are connected) cutted. So i resoldered it. After that the tubes did power on but after few seconds there was sparks from the splitter, i guess due to the poor insulation of the anode of the EHT since i have cutted the insulation rubber a little bit to solder the connector. After that the tubes were dead. There was no power to them.

So... i have got the 135 LC. I would ask if is it possible to change the tubes of the XG 1351 with the tubes of the XG 1100. If not so.. if the problem is in the splitter how do i test if it works correctly? and if the splitter works what i should check for neXt? If you know...

Thanks!
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe the problem is still in the PSU from what i read here: https://www.justanswer.com/electronics/8381y-having-issues-nec-xg135-projector-unit-starts.html. I'll check the voltages then i'll post to you if there is some problem in the PSU.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying sparks inside a machine is never good sign. Best way for insulating high voltage is to apply a labyrinth of heat shrink tubes, also when soldering make no sharp shapes with the solder to reduce corona-effect.

First you'd have to check which machine (chassis) is working flawlessly, regardless of tube shape... The PS unit is interchangeable between the AC and LC unit (and a bounch of other boards as well)

And if you put together a working machine then it is worth to think further about transplanting the tubes.

Technically the tubes are the same in the XG LC and AC, but they are mounted in different housings obviously. I think it is rather hard to remove the tubes from the AC housings (at least if you care to reuse the AC housings), but it is a touch easier with the LC.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the XG X3501 works flawlessly except fot the fact that it has got a broken tube, the green one. The electronics is ok. Can i swap the system pwb from the XG 135LC to the XG 110? just to see if the problem is in the system pwb board of the xg 110
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying that the tubes are the same right? If it is so, i'd rather reassemble the XG 135 LC with the tubes of the XG110
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Frankie] wrote:
So you're saying that the tubes are the same right? If it is so, i'd rather reassemble the XG 135 LC with the tubes of the XG110

That would be a good idea. If you don't mind cutting the AC housing with a saw, that would make your life much easier to extract the tube out of its housing...

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set of XGLC tubes on eBay Australia. Shipping would be the only concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: