Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marantz SR5008

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Marantz SR5008 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Do anyone own or have listened to a Marantz SR5008 or any model from that series. I've never been a fan of the HT receivers, though I was very impressed with the one William owns. It's been hard for me to wrap my mind around all the extra stages and digital conversions that go on in them to accept they they can really sound good on just plain CD or LP source. Plus they seem to run extremely hot for not being Class A or some other special output stage.

My buys receivers off of Ebay that are not working, and fixes them up. They have all sounded like crap to me with exception of me hearing the Marantz SR5008 in his setup last week. And what made them all worse was his Cerwin Vega Center channel speaker. Which is pure crap.

The Marantz made the Cervin Vega sound like it was my favorite Martin Logan. And as I listened, all of the instruments and vocals were crystal clear. And for the first time listening to an concert Blu Ray thru one of these units I heard no phase shifting or sounds jumping out of speakers. We then listened CD and I was still impressed.

Well, I was so impressed with it that my brother purchased a second SR5008 off Ebay that needed repair, and when on the phone with him on Friday, he "I got one for you come and get it" It needed to be repaired of course, and that happened yesterday. I connected it up to a very small set of speakers that came with a mini CD players, but I like them because they have ribbon tweeters along with the 4" woofers. I went one further I connected a very cheap DVD player and put in one of my listening CD's. This things still blew me away. I got up 2am this morning to listening to it further, thinking it was a quieter moment. And just liking it even more. In a few I'll be connected to more serious speakers and source, and from there to it being installed before the day is out. It's a keeper for sure..

It has a direct button on the front that allows you to get around much of the internals, and on the display it reads Pure Audio... and that's true.

Light weight, with even a plastic front. Power transformer get hotter than the heatsink, but boy does this thing sound good!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question that receivers sound different, at least with the surround modes. The Pioneer I got from Mac works fine, but when I make changes over the holidays, my Onkyo-repaired Onkyo goes back in. THe surround functions are much better, and I'll re-verify that once I put it back in.

I am on a vintage audio group, where guys keep insisting stereo class AB amps sound wildly different from one another. One day I'll pull out my home-made A/B speaker/line level switching box to compare one amp to another. I really want to hear these differences for myself.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Marantz 5000 series definitely took 2-channel audio to places no receiver has ever gone before. When they were released people in the audio world were blown away. It beat many a separate amp/pre-amp set-up costing thousands of dollars. I heard a 5004 at a friends and still remember it vividly, just amazing in 2 channel mode with some nice Usher 671's and an Ortofon Black cartridge on a TT I made for him.

Maybe not the best choice for driving 5+ large speakers in a big HT, but if HT is second and audio is more important you can't beat the Marantz.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: