Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Problems With HD signals on my Barco 1209/2 (Green(ish))

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tums

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Problems With HD signals on my Barco 1209/2 (Green(ish)) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone,

recently I bought a Barco 1209/2. I was projecting with a Sony 1292 with a internal moome card. I was enjoying the picture but I wanted a brighter picture, that's why I switched to Barco.
For the content I use a Dune HD Smart B1. Because it is not a S version I want to use Port 3. The Dune is connected to my Onkyo SR608 Reciever. The HDMI output goes thru a Purelink HDFury 1 and a GammaX on Port 3.

Dune HD Smart B1 - (HDMI-HDMI) - Onkyo SR608 - (HDMI-DVI) - PureLink HDFury 1 - (VGA) - Purelink GammaX - (VGA-SUB9) - (Port 3) Barco 1209/2

The HDFury 1 and GammaX have their own 5V power. The problem is I can't get a good picture with HD content. I even build an inverter for the sync signals, but every combination fails, even on port 5. The highest resolution for me is now 1680x1050. This is not a 16:9 signal, so I forced the Dune to 16:9. At this resolution the picture has the right colours.

Selecting a HD signal will give me a very green picture which is of centre.

I read that changing the porch setting sometimes lets the Barco accept the signal better, but my knowledge of video is to small to know what to do. The only time Barco mentioned porch is adjusting the clamping of the signal in Picture Tuning. The problem is that in Picture Tuning I have no option for clamping op port 3 or 5.

Walking thru the menu of the projector I discovered that playing with the H Phase in Geometrie shifts the picture over my screen and at some values the green dissapears. I'm left with a red/blue picture. There is no settings to get the right colours (white text).

Is ther someone here who can tell me what my problem is? Is it even possible with my hardware to get a nice 1920x1080 60Hz picture?

Every information is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bert from Holland

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 port 3 cards and both only work with negative Horizontal sync. Have you tried port 5? Does it have the same problem?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this with the HDFury1 on my Ampro 4000. I added an Extron 202+ to the video chain and shifted the picture over and the colors and dark lines corrected themselves.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
tums

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick responce.
The Dune has the following resolutions:
1080p 60Hz
1080p 59.97Hz
1080p 50Hz
1080p 30 Hz
1080p 29.97Hz
1080p 25Hz
1080p 24Hz
1080p 23.976Hz
1080i 60Hz
1080i 59.94Hz
1080i 50Hz
720p 60Hz
720p 59.94Hz
720p 50Hz
I've made an inverter for the H and V sync signals with a 7405 like the schematic I attached.
I tried every resolution above with all possible settings. That means selecting a resolution, look at the picture, invert the H Sync signal, look again, invert the V Sync signal, look again, selecting an other resolution and start inverting again. There was no picture or a disturbed picture or a picture with to much green in it. I tried this on port 3 and on port 5. With the current hardware it seems not possible to get a right picture.

Due to my experience with an internal moome card I expect that the problems will be over if I mount a BARCO-FULLHD: HDMI 1.4 Input Card. Because it's a hobby I have to save money for this option. In the mean time I have to do with what I have. An Extron scaler is something I can overcome. I only found an Extron 202+ on eBay in the USA. The brand Extron is on the Europian market, but I didn't find any scaler. I assume there are more scalers like this one, so I will be on a look out. If there is anyone who knows another brand or search query, please mention it.

If I understand correctly: I need a scaler who shifts the image in the right (middle) postion and then the green(isch) picture will be gone. Is it possible to make a shifter like the inverter? Probably not, I didn't found a schematic after a quick search. And because of the price of a second hand Extron (starting at $50 with shipping) it's better to take an approved solution.

In the end it was better to go for the moome card from the start. I didn't get the HDFury1 and the GammaX for free. But at this point it's better for me to invest an extra $50 then $350.

Greetings.
Bert

inverter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.58 KB
 Viewed:  4316 Time(s)

inverter.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should try to get an internal moome for the barco. The 1209 is in the list of compatible CRT's.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36712

edt:I see you posted about this a minute ago Embarassed

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a vga card in a pc.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@redfox001
Thanks for your reply.
I had an HTPC, but since I switched to a Dune my son has confiscated him.
My Sony 1292 had an internal moome card and I liked the ease of use of a mediaplayer. Connecting them together was quite easy. I use the Dune for about 5 years now, maybe nowadays the HTPC's software are better. But because of the ease and size I would like to use the mediaplayer.

I started searching for:
video
rgb
enhancer
scaler
interface
but couldn't find a satisfied solution/component yet.

Greetings.
Bert

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bert, I would try the following:
Connect the projector to a PC using a custom monitor-driver *.inf that allows 1080p/60 (or whatever you want).
Port 3 always worked fine on my 801s, i also used port 5 with good results.

Most important: With a custom *.inf, you can set the porches and sync polarity to nearly every value you want.
The older Barcos only accept negative H and V Sync, I don't know about the newer ones but seems to be the same.
Use a custom *.inf (maybe someone has one especially written for the 1209) or use powerstrip (with every AMD/Asus graphics card) or the NVidia "custom resolution tool" with Nvidia cards.
I've made the experience that laptop graphics cards don't work well with those custom tools.

Quote:
1209s
A huge upgrade to the previous models: Completely redesigned RGB signal path, using high end RGB end stages. All new circuits are now surface mount devices (SMD) which improves signal quality a lot. RGB input and switching boards are completely new. Early models still have no adjustable scheimpflug (only available from 1998 onwards - pre 1998 models are mostly without continuous scheimpflug adjustment).

If you want to convert your 1209/2 to a 1209s , i could help you out with the parts.
Trying different boards could solve your problem as well. I even have two Barco Sync
I have a complete 1209s without tubes, so if you want some boards, they are cheap and in Germany.
I don't know much about the newer Barcos, someone may have to tell us what boards could be useful for you.
I even have two original Barco Sync converter boxes, one with additional gamma control.
Could give you one of those, i want to sell the other with the 801s.

And Curt (if you read this): Didn't you want quads/ splitters/ EHTs? All three from 1209s and quad from 808 here.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutentag Julian,

Upgrading my 1209/2 into a 1209s never crossed my mind, yet. But I think it's done before, I can remembering seeing posts about this topic in my search for answers, but paid no attention to it.

Your probably right that with a PC I can get full HD on my screen, but that's not the way I wanted to go. The last owner of this projector used 1600x900. I used an old laptop to get this resolution and did the mechanical setup on this signal. Like I said earlier, I like the ease of use and the size of a mediaplayer, so that's my first choice. If that doesn't work I will try a HTPC.

But you mentioned a Barco Sync Converter Box, could you tell me more about it? It sounds to me that maybe I can use this like the Extron mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't know which one you would like to keep, but the one with the gamma control sounds interesting. It's good to hear that you are my neighbour, even if it's still a 5 hour drive from my house.

Greetings.
Bert

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just remembered my post here. I already asked my question in another thread. But to complete my storyline here I'll write it again.
After numerous testing my wife bought me a Moome FullHD for my birthday. Now that's love (or she was sick of my complains).
So the setup is now:
Dune HD Smart B1 - (HDMI-HDMI) - Onkyo SR608 - (HDMI-HDMI) - (FullHD) Barco 1209/2
The picture is finaly not green anymore on Full HD, but it is dark. Crancking up the controls on the Barco and even on the Dune still got no satisfying picture.
I contacted Moome and he was very helpfull. The video signal in the Barco should be adjusted to 0.7V and the FulHD card should have a power of 0.88V op TP3. Checking the power on TP3 was no problem (is 0.882V), but I wasn't able to find the right measuring point in the Barco 1209/2.
Is there anyone to point me in the right direction? All the manuals I find are for the 1209s, which is different from the 1209/2.

Greetings from Holland.
Bert

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: