Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Ultra 9500LC tube burn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjlondon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Marquee Ultra 9500LC tube burn? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The images on our Marquee Ultra 9500LC rather suddenly developed large, fuzzy, brownish areas. I have attached a photo of the blue tube, with a problem I noticed circled in red (to distinguish it from various artifacts of trying to take a picture through the lens). I'm trying to find out what this is, what might have caused it, and most importantly what would be involved in fixing it (cost, parts etc.). My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it. I'm not knowledgeable about CRT projectors, but it doesn't appear to be the "spot burn" that gets discussed frequently. This projector has not logged very many hours since it was new in 2000, although it was left on for a couple of days prior to this happening.
Thanks for your help.

DSC01129_edited.JPG
 Description:
Marquee Ultra 9500LC blue tube

Download
 Filename:  DSC01129_edited.JPG
 Filesize:  482.65 KB
 Downloaded:  590 Time(s)

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your blue tube's phosphor is delaminatting.

You will need to replace the blue tube if this is the case.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Craig said most likely. Pull the tube out, look sideways, and see if the problem is on the inside of the convex lens on the tube itself, or if it looks to be 'behind' the tube face. If 'behind' the tube face, it's what Craig said, and it's a manufacturing defect. If it looks like it's right behind the convex element, then it's fungus. Fungus can be fixed, delamination cannot.

I have a couple of decent blue tubes left, but I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks.
mjlondon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll take it out and have a better look.
mjlondon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be on the inside of the c-element. The other tubes show evidence of fungus more like the pictures on this site. The bottoms of all the bellows have liquid on them (our projector is ceiling mounted). I assume this is glycol. Is this all evidence of something? Overheating? Underuse?

DSC01139_cropped.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSC01139_cropped.JPG
 Filesize:  399.96 KB
 Downloaded:  518 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, fungus. All issues due to age really, more than anything else. All three tubes should be stripped down, cleaned, new fill screws and glycol done. Or.. .I have brand new R and G tubes in stock, circa 2011/2012 vintage that show no leakage, and may be cheaper than spending money and lots of time on parts, depending on how much spare time you have.

I have ONE brand new blue tube in stock, I thought I was out of stock. Can you email me at curtpalme at shaw.ca and I can give you pricing. Stripping down a tube and rebuilding it takes maybe 2-3 hours per tube, and about $120 in glycol, bellows and screws per tube. A new tube drops right in without doing any work.

I'm out of town for 10 days, but will be back next Thursday./Friday, around the 14th or so.
mjlondon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it was a lot of fungus and a melted spot on the c-element. (Our tech actually managed to get it off without removing the tube.) Is this something that's available? Is there any experience with repairing these?

DSC01141_edited.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSC01141_edited.JPG
 Filesize:  401.45 KB
 Downloaded:  480 Time(s)

DSC01140_edited.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSC01140_edited.JPG
 Filesize:  486.22 KB
 Downloaded:  497 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I've got them,. The fill screws should be replaced as well, and most likely the bellows as well, as they may be contaminated. I've got those too.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be mentioned: DO NOT let the Sun shine into the lenses. That will melt your C-elements just like that.

Still, I wonder where that heat came from?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Should be mentioned: DO NOT let the Sun shine into the lenses. That will melt your C-elements just like that.

Still, I wonder where that heat came from?

It had to have had sun or a very bright light shin into the lens. CElements don't just do that on there own, that's for sure! No matter what, this is much better news than needing a new tube.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
mjlondon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for weighing in. Yes this is better than a new tube. But this projector has never been out of its darkened room. There was a lot of fungus on this c-element. Could that have absorbed enough light to heat up? Combined with messed up alignment?

- mike

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjlondon wrote:
Thanks for weighing in. Yes this is better than a new tube. But this projector has never been out of its darkened room. There was a lot of fungus on this c-element. Could that have absorbed enough light to heat up? Combined with messed up alignment?

- mike
no, in order the burn the c-element the light would need to come from outside the machine and much higher intensity than the tube could ever produce.

It might not be a traditional "sun-light burn" anyway. I've seen the glycol etch the C-element and create a hazy area once, no idea what caused it.

I would get 3 new bellows, stainless fill screws, and be sure to rinse with Isoproply alcohol before re-filling to kill any fungus spores. I would also use Ice clear non toxic coolant instead of the traditional "TV coolant" which is expensive and poisonous .
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also prudent to mention that it doesn't take long for a bright light to melt the C element. the concave lens acts like a magnifying glass. I remember the first couple of LC sets I bought (NEC) were from a guy that sat them vertically in his truck while he drove them to be packaged up. They arrived with melted C elements on both projectors. It took me about 6 months to find a set of worn tubes that were being scrapped for one, and eventually I found a second set for the other projector.

Mike, i can't remember if you emailed me regarding the clear C element. Message me at curtpalme at shaw.ca
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: