Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Movies that dramatically changed your stance on an actor.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Movies that dramatically changed your stance on an actor. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I liked Scarlett Johansson up until I watched her in Under the Skin.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_13

Not saying I disliked her, but I found my attraction to her changed. I wasn't expecting it but it happened, and it took me a long while to get over it. Wan, she's not an alien in real life--or is she? Mr. Green

And then there was Zooey Deschanel. I really liked her until I watched the movie All the Real Girls.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299458/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_35

It wasn't until this year with the syndication of New Girl on TBS that I fell back in love with her. My fallout took place between first and second season so seeing the second and third season now was a treat.

OK, those are two off the top of my head. I see this as an evaluation on how I can treat a real person based on their professional work. I know its acting, but tell that to whatever portion of my brain has a problem with the roles/characters at hand.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movines? Or do you mean bovines?

Heck, I've seen any number of cows in movies over the years, but I can't say that any movie changed my outlook on them...Wink
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Movines that dramatically changed your stance on an acto Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I liked Scarlett Johansson up until I watched her in Under the Skin.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_13

Not saying I disliked her, but I found my attraction to her changed. I wasn't expecting it but it happened, and it took me a long while to get over it. Wan, she's not an alien in real life--or is she? Mr. Green

Funny, the only reason I kept watching Under the Skin was because she was topless periodically and then totally nude at one point. I think she is smoking hot even as a man killing alien robot.

First season of True Detectives made Matthew McConaughey one of my favorite actors. Before that I thought he was just all right. I think TD is more like an eight hour movie than a TV series so...

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt, my typing accuracy drops as my drunkenness goes up.

Craig, I agree about Matthew McConaughey. I never really liked him, but her work in TD was pretty dang good.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Movines? Or do you mean bovines?

Title changed ... it was confusing to read. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just watched 'Under the skin' because of your comments... Very Happy
My wife said "it did not have a bad story because it did not have one at all", and considered this one of the worst movies she ever saw.
As for me I saw the spark in it but all in all I am glad it had mostly dark scenes so the 1 3/4 hour tube life wasn't wasted entirely... Very Happy

View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
My wife said "it did not have a bad story because it did not have one at all",
not understanding the story doesn't mean there isn't one there
View user's photo album (2 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyes Wide Shut , first time I really liked Tome cruise
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:

So what the F were all the motorcycle dudes about than Draganm Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:

This was my wife's comment. As for me I think I understood the story quite a bit, still it had little meaning.

***SPOILER***
You know in the the begining when SJ dresses up she wonders about an ant. I believe the motorcycle guys were like an ant-worker helping her and SJ was the queen or sort-of. Towards the end SJ obviously begun to like humans as they are, begining when she let go the ugly guy, then she had to go as well, and the motor guys looked for her obviously then. But all in all in the end it turned out to be (for me) just another "UFOs want to kill us but they change their mind because we are so nice" type of movie.
***END of SPOILER***

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:

So what the F were all the motorcycle dudes about than Draganm Wink

craigr
Whaaaa? I think there was only 1 guy on the motorbike, he was the other alien, and it opened with him kidnapping a woman. At first you have no idea why he's taking her, I thought it was going ot be a movie about a serial killer, which it sorta was, but not in the traditional sense.
But I see no reason why he wouldn't ride a bike. I mean an Alien on a Superbike is a lot more impressive than if he put-putted around in a Prius no? They actually had a professional race driver on that bike BTW

gjaky wrote:
This was my wife's comment. As for me I think I understood the story quite a bit, still it had little meaning.
***SPOILER***
You know in the the begining when SJ dresses up she wonders about an ant. I believe the motorcycle guys were like an ant-worker helping her and SJ was the queen or sort-of. Towards the end SJ obviously begun to like humans as they are, begining when she let go the ugly guy, then she had to go as well, and the motor guys looked for her obviously then.

all right color me blind, were there more than one "male " alien? If so then your analogy fits, especially when you consider that under her human suit she was shiny black, like a humanoid ant.

gjaky wrote:
But all in all in the end it turned out to be (for me) just another "UFOs want to kill us but they change their mind because we are so nice" type of movie.
***END of SPOILER***
ok, well if you want to boil it down to that you wouldn't be wrong. The aliens first see us as raw meat for their "skin-suits" , but then realize there's more to us than that.
Human Empathy though is a very complex evolutionary trait. Why would a person run into a burning building to save someone inside they're not related to, and other such acts, which are completely contrary to the "basic programming" of self preservation and self-perpetuation. This was what they showed on the beach scene, and then again when she lets the deformed guy go out of curiosity in this human trait (BTW, that wasn't prosthetics, that guy really had a deformity) .
The movie then contrasted this with the stalker in the woods, showing the duality of man. On the beach you had a guy who risked his life to save a total stranger, then there's this other guy who's just a beast, a sexual predator with no mercy or remorse. That's really unusual in most animal and especially insect behaviors, to have such polar opposites in the same species.

I think the movie did an excellent job of portraying how a purely Alien intelligence would see that, kind of stepping outside ourselves and looking in. Sometimes you see things you don't normally notice when your looking out.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

all right color me blind, were there more than one "male " alien? If so then your analogy fits, especially when you consider that under her human suit she was shiny black, like a humanoid ant.

When SJ let go the ugly guy, she gone as well from the "nest", the next scene was with the biker guy actually with a lots other, and there was even a spectacular scene when all these motorbikers spread away in a traffic circe, each in different direction, although we only saw the same guy doing the dirty job, but since SJ didn't have lot friends, this let me think the other bikers were aliens as well.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
draganm wrote:

When SJ let go the ugly guy, she gone as well from the "nest", the next scene was with the biker guy actually with a lots other, and there was even a spectacular scene when all these motorbikers spread away in a traffic circe, each in different direction, although we only saw the same guy doing the dirty job, but since SJ didn't have lot friends, this let me think the other bikers were aliens as well.

That's what I recall as well.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, this was an artistic movie and as such some folks will think it's a master piece and others won't like it. Look at the reviews on Netflix. People mostly give it one star, but then every now and then someone gives it five stars. For s slim minority this movie really strikes a cord and those folks find something profound in it. For the rest of us, this movie s just terrible.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
wow, I missed that, must have run upstairs for a biological break.

CIR Engineering wrote:
Look, this was an artistic movie and as such some folks will think it's a master piece and others won't like it. Look at the reviews on Netflix. People mostly give it one star, but then every now and then someone gives it five stars. For s slim minority this movie really strikes a cord and those folks find something profound in it. For the rest of us, this movie s just terrible.

craigr
absolutely
I gave it 5 stars, but I'm not a normal person Laughing
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:
wow, I missed that, must have run upstairs for a biological break.

CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr
absolutely
I gave it 5 stars, but I'm not a normal person Laughing

LOL

I am far from normal myself. I like a lot of movies that the masses dislike, but UTS was not one I found much in.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
thecokeman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny inst it'..peoples perspective on topics.. like on the largest organized association of outlaw bikers.. there really a nice bunch of guys.. doing normal daily jobs.. like collecting debts from dead beats.. just in some cases they have to use unconventional means to collect.. phone calls usually Don't work..the Personal Touch' is always best..just like in the movies..
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the skin impressed me because I got the feeling I was in the car with Scarlett. Never had that before in a movie but it was my first year back into crt too that added to the impressive blacks and all. This movie and others are great for the images and the scenes. Not for the story that I did not undestand at first either. Only after watching and enjoying it twice I started to use my logical brain on it Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so back OT A little, movies that really changed how you see movies, hmm. Well in my time, which is about 25 years now since I started going ot the Cinema, it would have ot be

Aliens, Ridley Scott. Remember walking out of the theater with my head spinning. I had never been Sci-fi bitch-slapped like that before. Start Wars was in that vein too, but it was before my time for Cinema release and by the time I saw it, it was a little dated.

The Sixth sense, M Knight Shamalan. First time I can say I really and truly loved a horror movie. I had seen others before that I just liked, but this was a horror masterpiece.

Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson. This started out SO good, I still love the original movie. Started slowly going downhill as Jackson bastardized the story for god knows what reason and finally ended in that horrible mess known as The Hobbit, but I still remember how awesome it was to see the original on the big screen.

Ink. Jamin Winans. Small budget Indy movie, and if you hated Under the Skin then don't bother, but this movie really hit a nerve with me and I am still amazed with what they accomplished with such a small budget. (filmed locally here in Denver). Really drove home the point that big budgets and good movies have NOTHING in common.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
so back OT A little, movies that really changed how you see movies, hmm. Well in my time, which is about 25 years now since I started going ot the Cinema, it would have ot be

Aliens, Ridley Scott. Remember walking out of the theater with my head spinning. I had never been Sci-fi bitch-slapped like that before. Start Wars was in that vein too, but it was before my time for Cinema release and by the time I saw it, it was a little dated.

The Sixth sense, M Knight Shamalan. First time I can say I really and truly loved a horror movie. I had seen others before that I just liked, but this was a horror masterpiece.

Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson. This started out SO good, I still love the original movie. Started slowly going downhill as Jackson bastardized the story for god knows what reason and finally ended in that horrible mess known as The Hobbit, but I still remember how awesome it was to see the original on the big screen.

Ink. Jamin Winans. Small budget Indy movie, and if you hated Under the Skin then don't bother, but this movie really hit a nerve with me and I am still amazed with what they accomplished with such a small budget. (filmed locally here in Denver). Really drove home the point that big budgets and good movies have NOTHING in common.

Do you mean Alien (Ridley Scott) or Aliens (James Cameron)? Both are great but I think Aliens is a much better film. It amped up the threat to a whole other level. The tension as the Marines descend towards their first encounter with the Aliens had me on the edge of my seat and James Horner's score along with sound of the motion tracker device perfectly complimented the visuals and pace. I was 12 when I saw it and remember thinking to myself "these guys are f'd"...lol

In a way, that franchise has never (and likely won't ever) upstage that sequel.

I like M. Night's films up until Lady in the Water. As much as I liked the sixth sense I also really enjoyed Unbreakable. That was a film ahead of it's time and it's a shame they didn't do a sequel- I think they could have done a lot with those characters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: