Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8500 w/ HV pulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prdlab

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Marquee 8500 w/ HV pulse Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Marquee 8500 with the HV pulsing that is described at http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee_Layout12.shtm -- picture disappears for a few seconds, reappears much too big, shrinks to normal size, disappears, etc. Is there an easy way to determine whether the problem is the HVPS itself, rather than a shorted CRT, bad CRT socket, or a disconnected G2 lead?
Thanks!
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Check your G2 leads but they do not just fall off. If you hear a snap and smell ozone you might have a leaky anode line, leaky splitter, or a cracked tube. If it is silent then it is likely the high voltage power section needs replacing.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also listen to the side of the projector by the HVPS, if you hear a consistent sizzling noise/crackling (not at start up during operation), then your HVPS is bad.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Marquee 8500 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently having the same problem with my marquee 8500.it has a constant clicking noise and it won't power up. Is it the hpvs? And if so where can I get one/ or repaired?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the front grill of the projector you should see some LEDs on the LVPS unit. Upon trying to power up check if any of those LEDs come alive. Also you can try to pull out the HVPS out of its socket, to see if the projector is powering up without HVPS.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the anode lead(s), too. Eventually some of them break down.

Run it with one anode lead connected, and if you get a picture, connect a second, then a third.

POWER OFF WHEN CONNECTING OR DISCONNECTING THE LEADS.

If you have it running with one or two CRTs connected and it stops running when you connect another, it
implies an anode problem with the most recently connected tube.

If that's the case it could be a bad lead OR a bad tube. It may only need the anode cap removed, cleaned,
and reattached with enough silicone. It could be a bad anode socket connection.

It can even be a bad HV splitter block.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of late model HVPS in tested, good working shape. Ditto for HV splitters.
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the front grill, no led lights on power up. Ticking noise is there coming from the hvps. Pulled out the hvps and no ticking noise.
Put back in the hvps and disconnect the lead to each tube from splitter to see if it was one of the tunes. I still have a ticking noise from hvps.
I'm thinking either the splitter or hvps is the problem.
Could it be anything else? Am I on the right track?
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just to clarify I first noticed hv pulsing as described in the beginning of this post. It would happen from time to time only during watching a movie and not during convergence/set up. The constant ticking noise is happening now that the unit won't power up any more.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an intermittent arc within the silicone potting compound of the HV block. Over time, the HV arc got worse within the potting compound, to the point where it's now continually arcing, and now the supply won't generate enough HV to power the tubes. Pretty common on all HV power supplies.
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if I change the hvps, would it fix the problem? If it does do you have one I can buy?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have stock and that should fix it. Send me a message through the main site please.
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have sent you a message through the main site though I am not sure if it is the proper link I followed , and thank you for all your help.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email returned, sorry for the delay!
Johnsony

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced the hvps and all is well. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: