Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What to do with an NEC XG135LC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: What to do with an NEC XG135LC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It has never been setup in my home. As purchased, it has new green and red tubes. It has sat on a dolly for a decade while I was first distracted by a 65" RPTV, then a GE Imager 601s and finally a JVC DLA-RS20.

Even though I know it has no value I cannot bring myself to throw it away. That just seems stupid. I know that to get it up and running I would need a processor, maybe a digital input card, serious setup+calibration, etc., which--again--starts to come up to $3-4K.

When that kind of money begins to start talking I find myself looking at B-stock projectors that I can get for $3K (checking now on B-stock RS4910). Ideas or suggestions?

Of course I would hate to make the investment in getting it up and running only to realize that my eyes have become accustomed to the sharpness of digital--even if it is LCoS digital.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, all you need is an HDFury for $250. Run 720p, as it will have edge foldover at 1080p. If you want 1080p, then get a used Lumagen scaler for $200-250, and you're done. $500. Not $3-4K.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Curt you really have changed.....two years ago you would have made an offer.....a guy I know had the 110 and he had great results....the dunce got rid of it because inventory on the moome input card ran out from what Curt told him so he chucked it. He said he griped at Curt for a few days 2 years ago. Curt had no sympathy towards him from what he said. Shame!!!
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drop it off at my place. I just down the road in Australia.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital- I have pretty much zero interest in buying more projectors. I have at least 10 of every high end set in stock including 909s, G90s, etc. My own Barco 909s are running strong, and I watch them a couple of hours every night. What more could I want? Wink
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanman,

you can get it running with zero financial invest. It will need sme time and effort though. Bet the NEC will kick the JVCs ass in every aspect.

Since ever I feed my CRTs with a PC via analog VGA out. HD-Fury is in the drawer and scaler on the shelf.
Setting up a HTPC can be as daunting as setting up a NEC CRT though.

How come a senior board member with close to 10k posts opens such a crappy thread anyway? Mr. Green

CHeers
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumagen HDQ with a $25 Stripper is what I use, I think the whole shebang cost me about $250.

However... at least on my DTV-1100, I don't have quite enough headroom on the lumagen to project a perfect 1:1 1080p image with enough porch to eliminate the image foldover.

Or you could send that 'worthless' XG my way Very Happy
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for HTPC!
View user's photo album (1 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Digital- I have pretty much zero interest in buying more projectors. I have at least 10 of every high end set in stock including 909s, G90s, etc. My own Barco 909s are running strong, and I watch them a couple of hours every night. What more could I want? Wink

about that.....is your current site up to date on the inventory? I have sent a few pal over to the site and they were unsure.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and the pricing is out of date as well. Just have them email me. I don't really sell anything directly off the site, never have, other than new product, and I want to talk with the potential buyer to make sure they get what's right for them.

Put it this way: At this point I don't sell any ES focusing sets, have scrapped them all save for a couple of test chassis, and 8" EM focusing sets like the NEC XG start at $500 with good tubes. 9" sets are as low as $800 for one of those planetarium 1209s.

I'll be sending a mailout sometime within the month. Been so busy with sound stuff and installations that projectors have taken a back seat. I've got 4 Barco 909s here that I bought in June, and haven't even taken them out of the road cases yet! Smile

Also, reel to reel sales and service has shot way up with this vintage audio resurgence. It's supposed to be a fun part time thing, and it's turned into 20 hours a week. It's still fun though, esp when I have to take a 1/2 hour to educate a 17 year old kid about how a reel to reel works. To one guy I said 'it works like a cassette tape'. His reply: 'I haven't used one of those either' Very Happy Kids are buying them for their home recording studios as they love the analog sound.. Holy crap, maybe 10 years from now we'll have some decent music again!

It's kinda funny, it reminds me of 15 years ago when I explained how a CRT projector worked to potential buyers.. about 5 times a day.

Here's a sample, which isn't even listing what's already sold this week, and the 30+ units that I bought and haven't looked at yet:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/5163387148.html
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those reel to reel had a great sound back in the day but very expensive when they were new. My grandfather had a TEAC and was really heavy into classical music. You would have thought he was into rock music with his equipment. He had four custom 18 inch 3-way Cir-win Vega units taken apart and the guts fit into special speaker enclosures in the ceiling of his living room. I guess headbanging to the Mozart was his thing. When CD players first came out, he had the first one in almost all of LA. Head technician engineer at NBC studios you get those perks. I hear you on the good music thing. I had a CD(of all ancient things) playing and my son said he loved it and said sounded way better than newer groups. The group was Styx. He'd never heard it before. I then played Boston and he was all over it as well.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman repairs and gets big $$ for the first generation CD players. Hitachi and a couple of others had a front load model where the disc was vertical, and the player was really tall. Collectible nowadays.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Philips CD200 not so long ago, it read the CD-Rs too figure it!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to realize that you missed the set up/calibration part of his post. I don't believe Wan has ever been into setting up the CRTs himself. IIRC he had Chuchuf do it, but I think he has left the biz. Craig can do it, but that is probably going to cost him some money. Honestly Wan if you want a good quote on the whole shebang then give Craig a call and ask him what it would cost to get you set up and running. Of course, if Curt is planning another road trip...... Smile

As for if you will like the 4910 over a CRT, I can't say. The 4910 is an upgrade over the 20, so it might be the better option for you. I would say take your JVC to another CRTers place and compare. There is supposed to be a meet in DC at the end of Oct and you could probably visit Craig in Chicago. Locally I don't know if anyone is using CRT anymore. Maybe Galen?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
You guys need to realize that you missed the set up/calibration part of his post.

I think this is just a matter of will. He can still learn all the secrets of the CRT setup, never too late Wink Even Graham Johnson's setup DVD is free to watch and If no one else I'd be happy to help with setting up an XG. Also this site has also a quite decent step-through guide on setup which was done on an XG chassis..

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes let him learn
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky brings up a very good point. If WanMan was so involved in the CRT scene before, but didn't want to set it up then, I'm sure he would be even less inclined to learn now.

I guess if it were me, and I was looking to pay someone to set up the CRT, or set up a digital myself, I'd probably go with the JVC.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnnash wrote:
Spanky brings up a very good point. If WanMan was so involved in the CRT scene before, but didn't want to set it up then, I'm sure he would be even less inclined to learn now.

Couldn't agree more.

gnnash wrote:
I guess if it were me, and I was looking to pay someone to set up the CRT, or set up a digital myself, I'd probably go with the JVC.

Exactly. This whole thread is a little crazy on one level. If you have a 9-inch machine, and you know how to set it up well and maintain it yourself, or you can afford to spend money to have Craig or Ken W over to your place once a year, then more power to you. But, to me, it's sill to advise somebody who's been watching digitals for four or five years to spend nearly a grand on doodads and a professional calibrator to set up an 8-inch machine. That's just silly unless somebody really dead-set on going CRT.

By the same token, I wouldn't recommend anybody go drop big bucks on a new projector right now, either. Too much change impending change IMHO.

Wan... Just wait a month or two... There should be some deals on used stuff popping up before and after CEDIA as people start selling stuff in anticipation of new stuff at the show, and AV Science may even be selling off some B-stock stuff right now.

I switched from G70 (very comparable to the Wan's XG) to a JVC RS45 over three years ago. I watched it for two years straight, and I didn't miss the CRT at all. I missed the extremely dark blacks occasionally and sometimes even the very smooth "film-look" to the CRT image, but I was more than happy to trade minor downgrades in those two departments to get rid of the absolute worst part about CRT: the obnoxious noise. I can't wait for my next theater... A big scope screen a single CRT couldn't adequately light up in its dreams, and much better isolation and noise floor. All the electronics will be outside the theater, save for the projector and speakers. I'm planning to put the projector in a soffit with ventilation so there will be nothing but a porthole open. I'm shooting for a very quiet room and really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with an NEC XG135LC Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Even though I know it has no value I cannot bring myself to throw it away.

You shouldn't have to throw it away. Put it on Craigslist, AVS Forum, and here (if Curt's OK with it) for free. No doubt some gamer or youngin' that's read about CRT and wants to give it a whirl will grab it. The ones that sit around forever are the people still trying to sell it for good money. Yeah, that XG that the guy is asking a grand for, or the G70 that another dude is trying to get $800 for... They'll die with those. But, ask for beer money or just give it away, and you should be able to find a taker that will put it to use.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I were closer....

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: