Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need advice about speaker placement/audio decoding

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Need advice about speaker placement/audio decoding Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys,

I'm finally getting around to getting my theater watchable, and am now trying to decide on speaker placement. I don't plan on anything fancy, just a good old fashioned 5.1 setup. Now I have the left, right and the rear left and right placed properly, however I am having trouble with placing the center speaker.
I have limited room, so acoustically transparent screens are out of the question. My problem is the fact that I have a low ceiling, and am pretty much using the entire height of the wall for the screen. I have been considering different options, and found that I would either like to place the center speaker on the floor, at some distance from the screen so that the entire screen remains obstruction free, or, I could ceiling mount the center speaker pretty close to the projector so that it stays out of the way of the emitted light. Both options would end up with the center not being in-line with the two front speakers, and displaced up or down. I am thinking that either solution would work well with adequate volume differences to compensate for the difference in distance, but would like to have some input from more experienced folks.

Also, is there a decent audio decoder around that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and can do all the current mainstream formats both via coax and optical ?

Thanks for any help in advance guys!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assume your using a big square 4"3 screen? can you post a pic?

One thing that made huge difference for me was angling the CC. Even though my screen is 16:9 widescreen, and the speaker is well up off the floor on a custom built stand, re-building the stand with the CC pointed up towards the listening position( approx. 10 degree angle), made a huge difference for both the front and back rows.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: