Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Curved screens.. why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Curved screens.. why? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I see the latest trend now is to upsell the consumer to buy smallish (40-50") curved TVs, some, if not all being OLED.

I saw these at CEDIA back a couple of years ago, and I don't get it.. why?

I do get that they are trying to mimic large curved movie theater screens, but who is sitting 2-3 feet away from a 50" set?

What am I missing, when you're watching a small curved screen from 10-15' away?
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you Curt, I don't get it and wouldn't buy one. I may reconsider if they get to 100 inch.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes need to be much larger thank 60-70 inches. BUT it would make a neat PC monitor for gaming. Very Happy 3 feet away

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it either.

I was talking to a friend about them the other day and he was saying how he wanted to upgrade his TV and get 4K, smartTV, a curved screen, etc. I asked "so what does a curved screen get you?" and he just gave me a blank stare. He had no idea.

Consumers are often told what they should want/like and don't even question it. They just assume it's better because it's different, and manufacturers introduce change just to make consumers feel like they should upgrade.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only benefit I see from the curved screen are 2 things: Possible a little more strength on the LCD panel since flat panels bend easy, a curved screen is already curved which strengthens the screen.

The 2nd benefit from a curved screen like these OLED TVs, minimal no reflective glare from ambient light/objects - Ive noticed its a lot easier to see the actual image on the TV with a curved panel than with a flat panel.

Plus it looks cool. And anyone who sits ridiculously close to the screen in a theater can have that - I prefer sitting at the very back of the room since the middle is usually already taken up, the back still gives you a better overall view of the screen so you don't have to look all over the screen to see everything going on.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no, yer doing it wrong. Front row center! THAT's where you need to be!

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Hell no, I don't need a cramp in my neck after a long movie Razz

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Hell no, I don't need a cramp in my neck after a long movie Razz

Wuss! LOL

CRT.

HD done right!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curved screens on flat panels are stupid. Everyone knows it.

Marketing... whatever...

I'm going on a big job tomorrow and am in a rare mood Smile

craigr

But they are stupid. Not to say that I don't calibrate them often and they do look good. There is just no real benefit over flat.

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a couple of hours two nights ago at a local dealer looking at some curved sets and found it somewhat bothersome. Since for most folks the center of the screen will be above eye level at your viewing position, so the curvature of the top of the screen will look different to your eye than the bottom curvature.

Whatever the case, its like looking at a set with the pincushion way out of whack !
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to think about how industry works.
First, you (as a manufacturer) have to create a desire. Then you have to supply it.
If you have no ideas in creating desires or other manufacturers in your branch invented desires you didn't ... copy them.
The coustomer will buy everything you tell him to buy (use advertising for this).

Who did ever think you'd need mobile phones that tell you the weather or can do 4k videos in HDR?
Everyone wants 4k HDR video capturing hardware on their phones, but then they're watching the material on 1920*1080 standard screens
or even worse on the 1080 screens of the phone itself. Noone can tell you if a 5" phone display is 1080 or 1440. So what's the point in 4k then?

I did buy a Samsung 5,7" 1440 OLED screen (capable of 4k HDR pictures and video). I took pics in 4k and copied them to my PC.
Looked at them in native resolution (i sure don't have a 4k monitor), and they look like crap in the native resolution. Shrink them and they're fine.

Did you know that you need a car with a build in wlan hotspot (that works with a simcard Very Happy)?

And what about ambilight and such things? laugh about it or be stupid and buy everything the industry tells you you want it.

Curved screens on TVs fulfill no purpose at all. Everyone into CRT projection knows that
curved (projection) screens were build to correct hotspotting when using a highly reflective coating.
That's the classic silver screen in the 80's for 2D with dim projectors
and the theater silver screen for 3D with polarisation today (RealD, IMAX 3D and similar).

Regards, Julian

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
I spent a couple of hours two nights ago at a local dealer looking at some curved sets and found it somewhat bothersome. Since for most folks the center of the screen will be above eye level at your viewing position, so the curvature of the top of the screen will look different to your eye than the bottom curvature.

Whatever the case, its like looking at a set with the pincushion way out of whack !

Yeah it is ironic that 20 years ago the manufactures pimped flat screen CRT for a much better viewing angle, less reflection etc...

Then along came NEC with flat screens. I remember seeing one of the $40 000 NEC sets back then in 1997 at a trade show. 'Looked terrible but man did it have allot of people crowded around it to have a look at the NEW marvel, flatscreens, and thats where I think manufacturers have to be. They need to come up with the next big thing. Flat screens TV's had my friends drooling, they were just waiting for the prices to drop to affordable levels. I stuck with superior CRT's

Then the bottom drops out of the market. Fueled to a large extent by Samsung. They wanted to be the leader in el-cheapo TV's so they kept undercutting other manufacturers prices. Well it worked. Wal-Mart is one example. Toshiba sold through WallyWorld for years. Samsung came in and priced their TV's $50 less for the same size set. Toshiba's sales dropped then they gave up.
Sharp knocked themselves out of the market by ignoring the next big thing -3D- they chose to build a 4th color and make their sets ultra thin. Great looking 2D! Samsung went big with 3D - the next big thing. Many people probably never used 3D but it was a feature that Sharp didn't have.

Flat screen sizes went up, prices have dropped, and margins have gotten very small.
When the flat screen CRT's came out you were paying a premium over a bubble tubes set. 34 inch flat tube sets priced at $8000. vs a big bubble tube set the same size from RCA for $1200
By the end of CRT the big flat screens had dropped to $2000 or less. What are manufactures to do?

Flat screen plasma to the rescue!
Pioneer 42" Elite plasma at $15 000. Still Samsung plodded along undercutting everyone, and shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

Picture quality doesn't enter into it for many people. They just want that gee wiz, look at that new fangled TV there on the mantle, look for the latest and greatest. There was a restaurant I use to go to that had an 100 inch monster flat screen. How did they have it hooked up? Composite off a standard def Satelite receiver! The picture was horrible.
Size matters, picture quality not so much. Looking at a pin cushioned TV screen won't matter to most.

So yes manufactures need to create the next big thing that no one needs, that's 4k and curved screens. Getting prices back up to $5000-8000. Making the manufactures happy, for now.
Their business model seems flawed however. Pioneer had to pull out, as well as Sharp and Toshiba. I guess it may end up with a last man standing scenario if Samsung keeps doing what they do and hurting themselves in the process, we may end up with no high end sets priced at $5000+ dollars. Now wouldn't that be a shame?

CRT.

HD done right!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found the curved and 4K TV sets worthless

The curved sets look goofy and have small sweet spot for the viewers(most of us with crt projectors know that already)

The 4K sets are just trying to mimic crt sets but they still fail as there is not much content and broadcasters still use 720p and 1080i so what's the point of a "ultra high def" tv (also you can still see the pixel grid if your close)

I recently got a Mitsubishi 65 rear pro crt hdtv set and love using it in my shop(it does have the digital tuner built in)

It's one of three crt projection tvs I own now

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: