Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

P19LCP tubes in a new marquee9500 with new type neckboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
koldby wrote:
As the output stage in new and old VNB is very similar (except for the transistors used, one could probably translate the -1,4 to " Q12 to the same in the new VNB.
I donīt think it is just a matter of adjusting G2/Drive. Aparently the outputstage has some issues in linearity and dynamic range.

I did not meant that all you have to do is re set these values, I just noted that you most probably must re set these, there might be other problems of course. I have a working test rig for the old VNB, but I don't even have a new style VNB, so all I can do is analyse its schematic diagram here. Smile

koldby wrote:

Why did they change the inputstage to HFA1100 and an emmitterfolower? Is the Z-in of 2SC4271 much lower than MRF5943?

I'm not sure about the emitter follower, but I seem to remember at that point the CLC449 became obsolete too.

koldby wrote:

Why did they change the I-sense/Over-I stage?

If you look it closely you'll see the I-sense circuit isn't changed, the Over-I has changed, but only just a little. As you could see from my first post in this thread, if Over-I trips it disables the HVPS, causing a no picture situation, I assume that isn't happening with these new boards during normal conditions, so that little change isn't affecting your picture performance.

koldby wrote:

Why did they change the Brightnes driver and spotkill?

This is a good question. Scott told that the clamping circuit was removed from the new VNB, because it wasn't needed since the signal was already DC clamped on the VIM. This is true, however I think the clamping circuit on the neckboard is useful because it can cancel the drift of the output stages, which -therefore- might affect gray scale and long-term performance stabilty.
And since the brightness controll and the spotkill circuit was a part of the clamping loop they had to be redesigned eventually.

koldby wrote:

VDC had supposedly only simulator customers as their goal, and that calls for LUG tubes. Did they make the changes to be better with very hard driven LUG tubes , beside the fackt that they couldnīt get more Motorola transistors?

What do you mean by the term the LUG tubes harder to drive?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
koldby

TV/Projector: GJAKY modded VDC marquee 9500lc ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not LUG harder to drive but simulator pj are driven harder than HT pj are.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe the smaller spot size calls som different settings or preferences in the drive board?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

This is a good question. Scott told that the clamping circuit was removed from the new VNB, because it wasn't needed since the signal was already DC clamped on the VIM. This is true, however I think the clamping circuit on the neckboard is useful because it can cancel the drift of the output stages, which -therefore- might affect gray scale and long-term performance stabilty.
And since the brightness controll and the spotkill circuit was a part of the clamping loop they had to be redesigned eventually.

So you think maybe the missing clamping could be the reason why some say that the grayscale @ contrast >50 suffers?
Do you think you could come up with some good modification suggestions if you had one of the new VNB?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koldby wrote:
gjaky wrote:

So you think maybe the missing clamping could be the reason why some say that the grayscale @ contrast >50 suffers?
Do you think you could come up with some good modification suggestions if you had one of the new VNB?

Actually what the problem look like? Can it be caught on a photo?
Maybe I could work out a solution, but first one should ask Scott (tse) about the problem, because I heard he was aware of this too, and if anyone he will know what the problem really is.

koldby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparently when you turn up the contrast >50 the grayscale cannot be maintained correct when you go from 10% IRE to 100% IRE.
And the blaclevel is unstable, flashing like unstable DC level..

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koldby wrote:
Aparently when you turn up the contrast >50 the grayscale cannot be maintained correct when you go from 10% IRE to 100% IRE.

Below 50 contrast everything is OK otherwise?

koldby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
koldby wrote:

You got PM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
koldby wrote:

A comment from someone who knows the problems better than I do:
"It behaves the best with contrast below 50, but its not clean, it has a lot of distortion and noise issues.

Remember my reference point is very different than any standard Marquee video chain, so you might think its ok compared to a standard old style neck board."

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

I'm not sure about the emitter follower, but I seem to remember at that point the CLC449 became obsolete too.

Regarding this, I dont think that is the reason. They still use the CLC449 in the VIM02 boards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: