Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

ECP 3500 Electrical Edge Focusing Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: ECP 3500 Electrical Edge Focusing Problems Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi can someone help me. I am having trouble focusing the tubes on my ECP 3500. Basically I can get the centre of the picture focused, but the edges are always blurry. I tried swapping the focus/bias board but it made no difference. It's the same on all three tubes. The photo is of the tube face, not the projected image, so it is not a lens issue.

P.S. Ignore the liquid on the tube it's just a bit of coolant from when I bled the tube.

Thanks James.

Last edited by jrh_james on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You have lost the east-west focus parabola waveform, not sure which board that is; fifteen years since I messed with an ECP, it might be 50-1873-05P Waveform Generator with 50-1911-03P Pincushion PCB. See this post to locate one: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38193

Also, you will need five posts to send a private message to Barclay.
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll swap it out and see what happens. I think I have spares for everything except the HVPS, which is why I try to keep this old thing going.
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped out the waveform board and it made no difference. I hope it is not the horizontal driver board, as although I have two spares I checked and they are not the correct version.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Try a remote board if you have one; the waveform might originate from there.
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have swapped out the remote board, convergence board, gain board, no effect.

I haven't swapped any of the three horizontal deflection boards, but as the problem affects all tubes I would be surprised if these were the problem, same for the CRT socket boards.

I have a spare horizontal driver board, but its a different issue and doesn't fit in the mainboard due to the plastic tab configuration on the board socket. The component layout on the board looks pretty similar and I am tempted to snap off the relevant tab and stick it in. Which I guess could have the effect ranging from frying the board or other components to not working to working. Alternatively I suppose I could try to source a replacement board but I am reluctant to spend money on this thing particularly as I don't know for certain where the problem is. From my reading the service manual I am not sure this could be the faulty board anyway, as it doesn't seem to be involved with the dynamic focus.

Anything else could be at fault?
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ECP 3500 Electrical Edge Focusing Problems Reply with quote

jrh_james wrote:
P.S. Ignore the liquid on the tube it's just a bit of coolant from when I bled the tube.

Hi,

Was the problem present before You bled the tube?
Did You do other work on the PJ and if yes, which one(s)?
Is everything mounted/connected like it was before working on it?
When did the problem appear for the first time?

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabs are there for a reason, there's a good chance you'll nuke something if you start breaking off tabs. Been there, done that with the ECPs. I may have a board if you need one, selling them dirt cheap, as I'm blowing out all my ECP stuff. Let me know.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

What we need is someone with an ECP service manual to step in and tell us if James is swapping the right boards
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ECP 3500 Electrical Edge Focusing Problems Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
jrh_james wrote:

Hi,

Was the problem present before You bled the tube?
Did You do other work on the PJ and if yes, which one(s)?
Is everything mounted/connected like it was before working on it?
When did the problem appear for the first time?

Regards,
barclay66

Ok I'll go through the whole thing from the beginning...

Basically, a couple of months ago I noticed the picture had blurry patches on it (I am not sure if it was the same problem I am experiencing now - it might be). I thought it was just fungus so I put the projector in storage until I could get around to fixing it. A few days ago I got it out of storage and I had three nearly new tubes and the blue was heavily worn so I thought rather than messing around clearing the fungus I would put the new tubes in and cure two problems at once. I am pretty sure I rewired the new tubes correctly.

I had a slight accident when I was swapping out the tubes, namely I powered it on with one of the neck boards resting against the metal chassis for the on-board remote, causing some shorting. It seemed to fry the neck board so I swapped that one out and it seems to be ok now apart from the focusing problem, although I can't be sure it didn't damage something else.
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update. I tried putting one of the old tubes (red) back in and it fixed the focus problem for that tube. You can also see that in addition to the focus problem there is a keystone problem with the two new tubes.

The old and the new tubes are both the same model 07MS (the photo of the rear of the tubes has the new on the left, old on the right). However I noticed a slight difference in the wiring configuration of the yokes. The new have a few extra wires on one of the connectors. Are they incompatible? Also the astigmatism magnets on the new tubes have not been set, but I wouldn't have thought they would cause this much distortion.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You have installed tubes from an ECP4xxx and the yokes are different. The correct yoke has two wires for H scan, not four. That would be the yoke on the right in your ecp2 pic. Put the right yokes on your better tubes and you might have it solved.
jrh_james

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Ok thanks for confirming. I did pull the new tubes from a 4xxx.

Thanks for your help.

James.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

The ECP4xxx used two sets of H yoke windings as did the Marquees; on each yoke the windings run in series up to 33khz, then switch to parallel to get more current into the yokes; this enables uniform raster widths across the entire range. The ECP 3xxx ran one set of windings and saw the width pull in some above 45khz. The ECP3500 was rated to 60khz but width pulled in about 15% up there so it was not very useful at the top end.
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James - Sorry to reply to this old post as it has been a few months since I've been on here...but my ECP died a month ago (I haven't had time to troubleshoot). Did switching to the correct yokes for the 3500 fix this? Some OCD part of me wants to know the resolution to the issue!

Cheers, Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: