Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Granny compatible remote control

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Granny compatible remote control Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My grandmothers TV was slowly dying. Vertical deflection was less and less for each time I visited and the audio had developed some problem. Oh, and don't get me started on the DVB-T top set box and dual remote controls for her to handle.

Replaced it with a LCD TV with built in DVB-T tuner so one less remote to handle.

Problem is that the new TV can map 999 channels so when she presses 1, "1nn" appears and there is a two second timeout. This causes major problems for the remote control chalchallengedt of the population since you end up with "11n" or "111". I'll see if I can map channel 1 to both 11 and 111, 2 to 22 and 222 and so on but the problems does not stop here.

Remote control failed so I got her a universal one. What a fool I was! If there is a button maked "VCR", "CD" or "SAT", the remote control will become "broken". Managed to program the same code for all eight freakin' functions so that's one less problem.

THERE ARE TOO MANY BUTTONS ON THE REMOTE!

A really big one still has too many, like this one:

This has too few, since zapping never was a thing here with just two channels for 40 years:

This one is close, but I would still need to shave of a bunch of them:

It would also be ideal if one could set a delay on several buttons so that "11" will be impossible to press. Does any such remote exist?

Also, had to include:

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest masking tape! Smile

If she can use an Ipod, and if it's not too expensive for you, Irule would be a good way to go here. (relatively) cheap, and you custom program the buttons, so you can have as many or few as you want.

www.iruleathome.com
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
If she can use an Ipod

Nice remote software, but buttons appearing out of nowhere from a black surface is just witchcraft.

I'll see if I can make a cardboard cutout around the usable buttons for now.

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If You're able to open the remote without damaging it (difficult nowadays), You could disable certain keys by covering the corresponding PCB area with scotch tape. With this solution You would get a normal looking remote and the tape would be removable.
For a permanent solution, You could cut out the unwanted buttons from the rubber part...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: