Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

do you listen to jazz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: do you listen to jazz? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
had a neighbor drop by with a friend who was an audiophile to listen to to my system He's a 2 channel guy with vintage gear, like the good stuff, Haffler amps , an Ariston TT, etc, some vintage speakers with Electrostatic tweeters, said he listened to Jazz. Now my system is tuned for rock and dynamic music, so it doesn't the best place for Jazz but it still sounds good with other kinds of music.

So i dug out a John Coltrane , Black Pearls 1964 on the original Prestige label. It's basically him tickling the valves and doing the typical Jazz riffs that sound rather random to me and the other instruments like drums and stand-up Bass, muted in the background, and sorta accompanying him. I let it go for a few minutes, but had to change it.

This stuff bores me to tears. While I understand that "modern music" with it's electric guitar and bass is not really pure music in the traditional sense of the word, it's dynamic and emotionally involving, the power of it just pulls you in, IMO. With jazz, I mean yes it's very subtle and you can't deny the musical talent, but I just don't connect to it.

Next, was Mark Knopflers Shangri La , solo album , side one song one = 5:15 AM. No comparison, really great music to my ears.

so what's the deal, any jazz lovers care to explain what it's all about?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like various kinds of ""lighter"" jazz, fusion, things like that. But I'm with you, Coltrane &etc just leave me cold. I've described that style as "a random-number generator hooked to a sax." My brother (a musician) loves it, but I'd rather turn off the stereo than listen to Coltrane.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter Gordon Rocks!!!!!!

Love Jazz but Dexter Gordon is by far my favorite Jazz musician and composer.

Have a listen to Dexter Digs In.

If this doesn't get your feet tapin and body movin you might as well be 6 feet under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxXsZegLLMY

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz, meh...

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

If this doesn't get your feet tapin and body movin you might as well be 6 feet under.

Nashou

Yep that's what I remember Jazz sounding like. It has that finger nails on the blackboard sound and affect.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are clueless !! With out Jazz, Rock would not exist. Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

Nashou
Not sure about that. Rock came from the Blues, which developed late 18th century. Blues and Jazz seem to have developed at around the same time with some commonality, with Jazz borrowing more from the Blues than vice-versa AFAICT, but they're different and distinct from each other both in structure, chord progression, etc.

Nashou66 wrote:
Nashou

if I was relaxed, sitting in some moodsy club with the lights dimmed, had a really good plate of hot wings and an ice-cold non-alchoholic beer , I might be able to get into that.
In my basement though that music bores me to death, and I don't get bored easily. I'm impressed that you like it though Nash, seems really out of character.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Nashou
Not sure about that. Rock came from the Blues, which developed late 18th century. Blues and Jazz seem to have developed at around the same time with some commonality, with Jazz borrowing more from the Blues than vice-versa AFAICT, but they're different and distinct from each other both in structure, chord progression, etc.

Nashou66 wrote:
Nashou

if I was relaxed, sitting in some moodsy club with the lights dimmed, had a really good plate of hot wings and an ice-cold non-alchoholic beer , I might be able to get into that.
In my basement though that music bores me to death, and I don't get bored easily. I'm impressed that you like it though Nash, seems really out of character.

Why is it out of Character?

I have seen some really great Jazz Icons.

The Modern Jazz quartet with Milt Jackson on the vibraphone, This was At Buffalo State college Birchfield arts center.
These guys at the time were the longest and oldest Jazz quartet still together with original members. I think they formed in 1947( not 100% sure) . They mesmerized me with their talent and ease at improvisation. Really nice guys too.
I got to meet with them for a short time, I was truly honored.

Another Great was Dave Brubeck. And I again had back stage passes to a after show cocktail party. I talked with Dave for about 30 minutes. He was telling me about the places in Greece and Turkey he played, and how some of that middle eastern music inspired some of his pieces.

Jazz and Big band music I always liked , I think I got into it from the old Sunday morning TV movies.
Then I took a class at Buff State called Jazz Rock Foundations and it was there I learned that Rock came from Jazz, Dixi land Jazz to be exact. And Also that Jazz is the original American music, different than anything else in the world.

Older people hated Jazz as it was for those "young Kids" and thought it led to drugs and sex, musch like rock and Roll.
In fact, Jazz is slang for having sex or fooling round. " You better not be Jazzin around on me "

Most of this is just from memory from that class, I might have the exact details wrong but I loved that class it was there when I first heard Dexter Digs in and my feet and pencil were tapping like crazy. I knew I had to hear more !

So what stereotype are you painting me as that I would not like Jazz?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not painting you into any stereotype, just surprised that you like Jazz, almost as much as if I were to find out this guy likes jazz Laughing

Last edited by draganm on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post, Nash. Thumbs Up

I played guitar in high school jazz band my senior year. We were only "OK", but the other Dallas jazz bands were worse. Because of that we got to play a lot of places, including other high schools. We won all city and I won all city jazz guitarist. Cool In truth they may have meant our other guitarist (we'd alter playing songs as you don't need 2 guitarist in big band jazz). He was actually quite a bit better than me, but I played on songs that had better guitar parts, so the judges may not have been able to tell he was the better of the two of us.

Anyway, I was really a rocker and only joined because I was in the half day magnet arts program. The experience did leave me with some affection for jazz, not a lot though. While I occasionally go on brief jazz listening sprees, they're short lived though.

I really got into Hammond organs a couple of years ago. I thought it was something I could pick up because of my music experience. I haven't given up on it but it's turned out to be more difficult than I expected. That did get me listening to Jimmy Smith. He invented the way that Hammond organ is played in jazz and rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLbjHnhA8Y
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big jazz fan. I will listen to it live, but really don't have a huge interest in listening to recorded jazz.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with your OP, Dragan. Mind you, I did go see Herbie Hancock a few years ago, and met him in person, having sold him a Marquee power supply. Smile Super nice guy, no ego, and he did a killer cover of Where the Streets Have no Name that I instantly loved better than the U2 version.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that interest in Jazz vinyl peaked and is on the decline as well. At one point any of the original pressings of Coltrane, Miles Davis, Monk etc. were fetching big bucks, now going the way of 50's cars = still valuable but not commanding crazy money.
I'm going to have give it another try though, maybe Sketches of Spain which i Have on the original Decca. I think what mood your in also makes a big difference as to what your inclined to listen to.

Curt Palme wrote:
I'm with your OP, Dragan. Mind you, I did go see Herbie Hancock a few years ago, and met him in person, having sold him a Marquee power supply. Smile Super nice guy, no ego, and he did a killer cover of Where the Streets Have no Name that I instantly loved better than the U2 version.
Just picked up a sealed Herbie LP, Breezin, solely for the purpose of re-selling it. Confused
weird album anyway, possibly his most famous yet he only wrote 1 of the songs, rest look to be all covers?

http://www.discogs.com/George-Benson-Breezin/release/806323
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz is not like rock music. Jazz guys often do covers. But their version is usually quite different from the original. Even if it's not, it's just something to solo over. Jazz is all about soloing and improvising.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Jazz is not like rock music. Jazz guys often do covers. But their version is usually quite different from the original. Even if it's not, it's just something to solo over. Jazz is all about soloing and improvising.
so it's just like Rap.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
so it's just like Rap.

NOOOOO!!! It's not like cRap!

There's various types of jazz. I love fusion - Spyro Gyro comes to mind. George Benson is great. Vocals and great guitar work. Smooth jazz - Kenny G is OK. Older, tradition jazz less so.

jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have told this here..but..
I remember my Dad and I talking music when I was a kid... went from radio pop to rock.. classic rock, folk, blues, old blues, a little old country, and big band ( thanks Dad ) other assorted music... then I remember talking old blues up with my Dad and he was all about jazz and it was a NY city intersection at rush hour to me ... " Don't worry Son when you are older it will all make sense"... years later one night was homesick and put on Blue train... hair on the back of my neck stood up and I was in!! guess I was old enough to appreciate it Smile

Now that marching Jazz is CRAZY shte

and fwiw... I like to listen to bagpipe music as well.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: