Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rear project

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Rear project Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys
Is anyone doing something to allow a window to be used as a rear projection screen to be watched from outside?

I seem to remember seeing a paint on effect, but a stick on layer would be great...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen rear pro material on a roll, can get it in any size you want. I don't know how good it is, but there seem to be many variations of the material out there with different levels of quality.

I thought about doing the same thing with rear projection, I think the roll material would be best for that purpose (the paint on stuff I don't know if I would entirely trust)

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a whole slew of companies selling "rear-projection material" for applying to window glass. 3M Vikuiti Rear Projection Film is the most well-known, and there are a couple competitors. The problem is that the commercial products are very expensive.

For an inexpensive DIY project, almost any "frost" type of vinyl film should do well. The more "matte" the exposed surface, the better. The problem there is that you'll probably be pretty limited in one dimension, as the rolls are usually only 3-4 feet max.

Goo Systems sells a film, but it's no doubt just somebody else's vinyl product repackaged.

Somebody here was posting about a spray-on material last winter, and he was going to send samples to a couple people, but I did some research and found the source highly questionable.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about the spray on screen: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=440555#440555

I've tried a few samples, and I think Clarence sent me a piece of Draper? I don't recall for sure. I also tried frosted glass (expensive mistake), white shower curtain, and some other stuff. I ended up with Gerriets Optitrans. I worked about the same as the Draper, but was a lot cheaper.

You would think there wouldn't be much difference between them, but there is. A Rosco sample hot spotted pretty bad, as did the shower curtain. The glass was unusable it hot spotted so bad.

There's little RELIABLE info to go on. Very few people have RP setups and it hard to find info on them. I would very leery of what you read on the internet. That's how I got myself into the glass screen fiasco.

I moved out the house that had RP setup 8 years ago. Here's a pic of it:

Projector was on the garage ceiling:

crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with buying something off of ebay. I have no experience with RP but would imagine that you couldn't do any better than what Stewart has come up with and prices seem decent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEWART-HUGE-FILMSCREEN-ALMOST-16-FEET-LONG-FILM-SCREEN-/111701570857?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-126-Hi-Trans-Rear-Projection-Screen-6x9-filmscreen-film-movie-effect-/251416499503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8997552f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-FilmScreen-100-Rear-Projection-Plexi-Screen-/371141781427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5669c627b3
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtbilly wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-FilmScreen-100-Rear-Projection-Plexi-Screen-/371141781427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5669c627b3

Stewart FilmScreen 100" Rear Projection Plexi Screen

That's a really expensive screen. The problem is it's 4x3. Cutting it down to 16x9 would be risky because I've been told all the ridges in a fresnel screen make them easily cracked.

I would have loved to have had one of those in my old setup. That's as good as it gets.
chbue070780

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crtbilly"]I

Last edited by chbue070780 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the cash, I'd buy this one in an instant:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111701570857

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

I'd be worried about the screen warping from the sunlight and screen defects from the elements.
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

Lol, Yeah its impressive. I always operate on a beer budget but don't seem to have anything left after I buy my beer. Very Happy

Make an offer for it, I don't think that guy will be getting close to his buy it now price. I have been looking for a studiotek for a bit and don't see much movement on used screens.
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
crtbilly wrote:

That's a really expensive screen. The problem is it's 4x3. Cutting it down to 16x9 would be risky because I've been told all the ridges in a fresnel screen make them easily cracked.

I would have loved to have had one of those in my old setup. That's as good as it gets.

I wonder if you could use a dremel cutting disk and work through it?
chbue070780

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtbilly wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
crtbilly wrote:

I wonder if you could use a dremel cutting disk and work through it?

You may cut the plastic Fresnel lens carefully just like any other plastic sheet. The minor chipping at the ends will not affect performance.

Cut it the same way you would a piece of glass. Score it several times with a utility knife. Then put it on the edge of a table and snap the extra piece off. It's that simple.

People with more experience with Plexiglas suggest scoring and snapping it. It seems intuitive to use the sharp edge of a utility knife blade for scoring. However, the sharp edge tries to wedge material to the side, and might make a deep score only with difficulty. I'd use the back of the blade tip, and scrape the groove fairly deeply on both sides before snapping...

Most fresnels are made of butyl acetate, which is relatively brittle. It doesn't cut like polycarbonate. Score and snap might work but it's risky, and applying clamping pressure on the fresnel to do it could damage the fine lines. You could sand it a bit. A very fine hobby saw, japanese saw, or fretsaw would work. I would personally use a true Fein fine-toothed fiberglass blade on my Multimaster (never one of those worthless Chinese knockoff blades, which are likely to shatter the plastic!).

Anyway you choose I do not envy you the task, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: