Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Epson's Garbage projectors and their cheap auto-iris
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jbltecnicspro wrote:
What are your thoughts on Benq and Optoma in comparison with Epson? I know you said they're all pretty much garbage but I was thinking about getting a Benq HT-2050 for video gaming purposes. It's bright, 1080p, doesn't have too much input lag (33ms I think?), good motion clarity with DLP, and none of the usual BS that you get with budget-level LCD projectors. Of course this is a pipe dream at the moment as I'd really love a nice JVC unit for movies and I can only have one and not both.

BenQ projectors have a pretty low failure rate, and a lot of people who have them seem pretty happy with them as well. I've also never encountered a broken one (but I know they do fail from time to time, like any projector brand/model at some point).

If you really want a nice DLP projector, I would go with a Mitsubishi HC9000, or a slightly older model even (if 3D isn't important, I don't know if they have 3D support or not either). Mitsubishi makes some excellent machines, their home theater ones especially.

Otherwise, as CM said, I would heavily consider a JVC, they're pretty affordable at this point. You can get the RS45, X3, and several other nice full HD JVC machines for less than $1000 shipped on ebay in very well cared for condition.

I like the look of DLP, but I have seen some of those JVC projectors perform, and they also look pretty damn good.

As far as input lag, I don't know how either one of them are as far as that goes, I myself when buying a projector don't consider it because I don't do anything critical enough to worry about input lag, but I know if you're into gaming, that it's an important factor to consider to some.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If low latency gaming is your thing, I would say that the RS45 is a bit slow in that respect. Running it stacked with a Marquee with Moome HDMI input card, the Marquee is about seven frames ahead of the RS45.

But thanks to this stack, the geometry on my Marquee is now PERFECT. Very Happy
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If low latency gaming is your thing, I would say that the RS45 is a bit slow in that respect. Running it stacked with a Marquee with Moome HDMI input card, the Marquee is about seven frames ahead of the RS45.

But thanks to this stack, the geometry on my Marquee is now PERFECT. Very Happy

Was about to respond to this. With the JVC D-ILA projectors, you need to get the latest series to be able to play video games on it. I think the RS-45 has over 100ms of input lag and that's pretty much unacceptable if you're gaming, except in the newest series of "walking simulators" - which don't depend on quick reflexes.

That is why I was deciding between a Benq DLP versus a JVC D-ILA. That being said, I'll probably give the nod to movie watching as the native contrast and sheer image quality of the JVC LCOS projectors are too good to turn down.

Incidentally - the Yamaha DPX-1200 projector I got has very low input lag, almost CRT-like.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeremy112"]
jbltecnicspro wrote:

As far as input lag, I don't know how either one of them are as far as that goes, I myself when buying a projector don't consider it because I don't do anything critical enough to worry about input lag, but I know if you're into gaming, that it's an important factor to consider to some.

I understand. I'm not that critical for gaming. Most digital displays have input lag that I can feel, but I adjust easily. The problem for me is that JVC units, up until the RS-420, 520, 620, etc. all have over 100ms of input lag. That's just... Wow. Even the worst TV's don't go above 60. EDIT: Put it this way - if Chris notices the input lag from watching movies, then video games are a no-go on a JVC (at least to me they aren't). I think Kal said he played Fallout 4 on his, so more power to him I guess. Smile

I find it terribly ironic that CRT projectors - while they would be PERFECT for gaming on the big screen... I just don't want to for risk of burning my tubes. Smile
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitek and Sony do far more business projectors than they do CE projectors. Panasonic has one legacy model for HT, Epson is primarily an education brand, that's why they went after Hitachi's UST niche a number of years ago, and Hitachi offered less expensive ST projectors where Epson was king.

Mitsubishi stopped making projectors years ago, it still is making cubes, led and laser lit.

BenQ is the 'largest DLP Brand', its machine generally come from Delta and Coretronic, i.e. Vivitek and Optoma patent companies.

Ecrabb that returned Hitachi did not fail.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually say that gaming on a CRT projector would be just fine, even if you're concerned about pattern wear, IF you play a variety of games so the wear is more evenly distributed.

And, a lot of games allow you to hide some or even all of the consoles, weapons, etc, giving an unrestricted out-the-window view.
That's quite helpful when it's available.

I play some FPS games and fly some simulators. Most of them allow decluttering the screen to at least some extent. Flight sims usually allow you to remove everything and leave you with a true out-the-window point of view.

At this point, with digitals being what most people will go to for ordinary TV watching, and movies too, why NOT put that CRT projector to good use in your gaming setup?

There is no FUTURE to CRT projectors, they have been winding down for years and I've still got way more good units than I know
what to do with.

Might as well hook my gaming rigs up to one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: