Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

On the art of hunting and tracking CRT projectors...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: On the art of hunting and tracking CRT projectors... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'll just cut to the chase. I live a stones throw away from Atlanta and I want to get a cheap/free CRT projector. Dumpster diving optional. I don't mind a project.

Apparently stuff like a Sony 1272 isn't worth a 2000 mile round trip, even if it's free and could blow my current setup out of the water. But where do I find one locally? Better yet, where do I find something 8" with ES for the cost of gas to drive 2000 miles, but locally?

I've got loads of free time and a car. I'm fine calling around but where do I start?

Primed and ready with no direction, hate that feeling.

Thanks,
~Trey.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas for a long trip would probably equal whatever you pay locally.

What is your top budget? There have been a couple of free or close to free pjs in the southeast.
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably go up to $200, but that's only if it's at least 8" with ES. Anything short of that and I'd rather stay under $100. Free being best of course.

Where did you see those projectors you're talking about? I need to get in the know. Anybody in the area that I should get in contact with?

Also, I'd imagine there's some in Atl from corporate environments that nobody wants anymore, but how do people find these? I realize I start to get into the windows desktop burn in problem but I'm still interested.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget 8" ES sets, they are too old. Even the 8" EM machines are considered as give away...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, I meant EM. I didn't get much sleep...

So is an 8" EM set with good tubes something that I shouldn't go over $100 for, then?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreyRust wrote:
Err, I meant EM. I didn't get much sleep...

So is an 8" EM set with good tubes something that I shouldn't go over $100 for, then?

Hard to tell.. sometimes NEC XGs are throwed in the trash, other times they are asking $1000 for a worn out crap, if you are patient you have a good chance to catch a decent machine. For example last winter there was a give away 10PG (9" EM) in Atlanta...

TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
For example last winter there was a give away 10PG (9" EM) in Atlanta...

Oh that stings. Where did you find out about it?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreyRust wrote:
gjaky wrote:
For example last winter there was a give away 10PG (9" EM) in Atlanta...

Oh that stings. Where did you find out about it?

I was scratchy, it wasn't actually free as I see now... I just simply put 'crt projector atlanta' in google Wink

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Watch Ebay. I bought my G70 on ebay and had it shipped to me, but it came from a bug surplus wholesaler in Atlanta.

2. Watch Craigslist in the half-dozen cities that are a less than a day's drive from home. There are a couple of sites you can use to search multiple Craigslist city sites simultaneously. Crazedlist is one I used to use, but there are a couple of others.

3. Set your sights higher. You should look for a Sony G70, NEC XG, or Barco Graphics 808. I sold my G70 for $500 a couple years ago, and it took a few months to to do it, so you should be able to find one of those projectors for a few hundred bucks at this point.

If you saw a Sony 1271 or 1272 locally, and you could get for free, it would be worth picking up just to play with and learn a little.

Welcome to the forum!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: On the art of hunting and tracking CRT projectors... Reply with quote

TreyRust wrote:
I'll just cut to the chase. I live a stones throw away from Atlanta and I want to get a cheap/free CRT projector. Dumpster diving optional. I don't mind a project.

Apparently stuff like a Sony 1272 isn't worth a 2000 mile round trip, even if it's free and could blow my current setup out of the water. But where do I find one locally? Better yet, where do I find something 8" with ES for the cost of gas to drive 2000 miles, but locally?

I've got loads of free time and a car. I'm fine calling around but where do I start?

Primed and ready with no direction, hate that feeling.

Thanks,
~Trey.

A 1272 isnt worth a damn for much at all apart from retro gaming, in which case its a great choice.

From there, in this order id go for NEC XG, Ampro 4xxx, Sony G70, NEC 9PG XTRA, Barco Cine 8 or 808 ( if youre desperate i guess )

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is to bad I am not going to Atlanta for a long time. I would sell you my G70 and complete spare set of boards for $100.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
It is to bad I am not going to Atlanta for a long time. I would sell you my G70 and complete spare set of boards for $100.

That's a very fair deal for somebody who wants to get into CRT. The G70 is a great machine. Meet him in Jacksonville? Wink

That's what, a 9 or 10-hour drive from Hotlanta to Miami? If Trey could combine it with a weekend of fun so the two days of driving wasn't solely for picking up the projector, that could still be a good deal for both of you. He gets a weekend of fun and a nice projector for $100, and you have one less projector sitting around. Wink

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I am not driving up to JAX.

It is about 10 hours or so to make the trip. If he wants to make the trip, then by all means.

Of course, I did wake up with some pain in my teeth. If this gets any worse, then I will run up 95 to Raleigh. Matter of fact, I am pretty sure I will go up there over the summer. Maybe he should pray for more teeth pain. Laughing
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like someone is gonna give me a Electrohome 8500LC with everything on it. 10 hours in the opposite direction of Miami of course.

I'd like to "try" both. So if I had to choose which one to get first I'd drive up for the 8500, wait for Spanky to chip a tooth and meet him along I-95. That is assuming these offers aren't based beginner pitty.

The option of eventually converting the 8500 to a 9500 is lingering in my mind as well... I do love me a project.

And if I go to Florida I won't come back for a couple weeks. That and I could start putting money towards audio, at this rate, I'll be stuck watching silent films.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean beginner pity?

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what beginner pity is.

If you want it, then it is here. If you want to meet me, then like I say it will be over the summer and the stars will have to align.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was just expressing the idea that maybe the free 8500 was contingent on him not having the G70 or vice-versa. Beginner's pity... Like, "Since you're just getting started, I'll let you have this deal, but not otherwise." He's just trying not to be presumptuous about people's good will. Nice attitude.

SC
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get the 8500LC then I won't really be in a rush to get the G70. Summer sounds good, keep in touch. If the stars don't align, then I guess I'll just have to drive down there. I don't have a problem with the drive, I actually really like road trips, I'd just like to optimize things a bit if I can and not plan them too close together.

ecrabb wrote:
I think he was just expressing the idea that maybe the free 8500 was contingent on him not having the G70 or vice-versa. Beginner's pity... Like, "Since you're just getting started, I'll let you have this deal, but not otherwise."...

Exactly.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8500LC has potential to be a better machine than the G70 if you like to mod it, you can fit 9" tubes and there is a load of other mods around, parts seem to be pretty easy to come by.

The G70 is a pretty darn good machine as it is, for $100 with a spare set of boards its a steal if the tubes are good enough.

The problem these days is that majority of CRT projectors hold no real commercial value anymore, most of them are well over 15 years old, and people seem to have little interest in them now, probably due to the amount of work involved in setting them up. Once theyre set up properly there isnt much effort required.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreyRust wrote:
The option of eventually converting the 8500 to a 9500 is lingering in my mind as well... I do love me a project.

Just be aware that unless you find second-hand worn tubes or luck out and score a deal on a dead donor machine with nice tubes, that conversion will be a pretty damn expensive venture. Like, we're talking the kind of money it costs to buy a very nice used digital. FYI.

I gave up on my dreams of finding a nice 9-inch machine (for any price I was comfortable with) and just bought a nice digital. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe things have eased up a little even on a 9-inch machine if you can find one.

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
The problem these days is that majority of CRT projectors hold no real commercial value anymore, most of them are well over 15 years old, and people seem to have little interest in them now, probably due to the amount of work involved in setting them up. Once theyre set up properly there isnt much effort required.

I think it has less to do with the amount of work it is to set them up, and more to do with the entirety of the hassle that is CRT compared with the relative ease of acquiring and setting up a digital.

A CRT is huge and heavy, so it's either a huge pain in the ass or it's expensive to ship or move. It's a little like buying a piano or a refrigerator or something. Than, it's not only a giant pain in the ass to hang one on the ceiling, but an engineering exercise. Build or find appropriate mount, or engineer one yourself, find appropriate fasteners, install carefully and correctly so as not endanger any lives (literally). After all that crap, setup itself is rather trivial (not considering the learning that goes into it).

Compare all that to whipping out a credit card and having UPS or FedEx Ground drop a projector and mount on your doorstep a couple of days after you order it. Leave work a couple of hours early on a Friday and be watching movies before the wife and kids even get home. With CRT, it took a professional or a very hard-core DIY'er to make it happen. With digital, almost anybody can do it. I think that's why CRT is dead.

Cheers,
SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: