Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need help with fuzzy Compaq 14" CRT Monitor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Need help with fuzzy Compaq 14" CRT Monitor Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just received my Compaq Presario 4402 all in one PC today and wow, what a blast from the past.

Anyway, when I first powered it up, the CRT was crystal clear and looked great. I noticed after a while the image would flicker and you could hear a small "snap" every once in a while.

I was away from it for about 20 minutes, and when I went back to it, the screen became fuzzy.

Does it just need to be cleaned (contacts and such) or is there something else? I don't think theres anything actually failing, but again not sure, and that's why I'm asking all of you Smile

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HV arcing, and an issue either in the all in 1 flyback/HV transformer (if it has one), maybe the CRT socket, and it's loading down the focus voltage) or similar. The focus voltage should be pretty close to 800-1500 volts I think.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
HV arcing, and an issue either in the all in 1 flyback/HV transformer (if it has one), maybe the CRT socket, and it's loading down the focus voltage) or similar. The focus voltage should be pretty close to 800-1500 volts I think.

Thanks Curt, It's pretty dusty and looks to have not been cleaned since 1998 so It's probably just connection issues I would think, it looked beautiful for the first 15-20 minutes.

I'll report back with my findings, at least now I know where to look Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I got it open, pretty easy to do actually. I noticed once I pulled the cover off the neck board was about 1/4" off of the tube socket, so I put that back firmly. I also blew it out with the air compressor.

None of that really improved it, but the CRT isn't arcing anymore. The Flyback transformer has Focus and Screen controls on it, but since it was clear for the first 20 minutes and then just went fuzzy out of nowhere I don't think that needs adjusting...

Its not baaaad, but its hard to read text. Ill pop a picture of it, if you can tell me what to go after once you see the pic that would be of great help Very Happy

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later flybacks have a master brightness and focus control built right into the block. Does yours have that? If so, look on eBay or google the flyback number. Should be $30-50 if you can find it. eBay seems to have a lot of NOS flybacks last time I checked, as many computer monitors and CRT gaming consoles are still in service out there.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the flyback has focus and brightness on it. I did decide to adjust both of them, and the image is 100000x better.

I'll monitor it over the next few days, if it fluctuates I'll see if I can find the flyback for it. So far so good though!! I'm loving the 4402 Very Happy

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do drift over time. Chances are you're fine.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it took a few hours for it to stabilize, but now its stable as a rock, I also cleaned the inside out since it was pretty dusty, that was a mission of its own Very Happy

Looking pretty good so far, nice and sharp. Couple pics below to show it off. The first one shows the original infrared remote control pictured on the left of the PC Mr. Green

_MG_7442.JPG
 Description:
Presario 4402
 Filesize:  229.95 KB
 Viewed:  7383 Time(s)

_MG_7442.JPG

_MG_7443.JPG
 Description:
Screen
 Filesize:  358.64 KB
 Viewed:  7383 Time(s)

_MG_7443.JPG

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow gold old defrag in Win95!

That's in nice shape, AND the remote too. Nice score!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AR, I as well thought I got pretty lucky. I didn't even know it came with the remote until it got here Very Happy

I just need to order 128MB of ram for it, wait for the 200MHz P1 MMX CPU to get here, and put a different hard drive in, since the 2GB Seagate in it is about 5x slower than the quantum bigfoots the other 2 compaqs I have use.

So far I upgraded the video to a PCI NVidia GeForce FX5500 128MB graphics card, swapped out the bad disc drive (need to order the correct colored Compaq drive for it to match), and so far its been a great machine for what it is. The monitor looks great at 1024x768.

I have to admit, this little all in one surprised me. It has all of the original Compaq software, all still working too, and someone even managed to upgrade it to Windows 98 without making the compaq software fuss over compatibility. I didn't expect to be able to upgrade the video since I thought the monitor was all internally wired, but some smart guy at Compaq decided to just run the speaker, mic, vga, and power cords all out of the monitor like normal, only shorter of course.

Once I get the rest of the parts here Ill pop some inside pics. The whole computer actually slides right out of the chassis like a drawer, really spiffy and easy to work on, again another thing I wasn't expecting.

I'm just happy I happened to be looking for Compaq stuff when this got listed, it was up for sale for only 2 hours before I found it. I actually thought I was seeing things since this is the first one like this I've ever seen for sale anywhere online.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Thanks AR, I as well thought I got pretty lucky. I didn't even know it came with the remote until it got here Very Happy

I just need to order 128MB of ram for it, wait for the 200MHz P1 MMX CPU to get here, and put a different hard drive in, since the 2GB Seagate in it is about 5x slower than the quantum bigfoots the other 2 compaqs I have use.

So far I upgraded the video to a PCI NVidia GeForce FX5500 128MB graphics card, swapped out the bad disc drive (need to order the correct colored Compaq drive for it to match), and so far its been a great machine for what it is. The monitor looks great at 1024x768.

I have to admit, this little all in one surprised me. It has all of the original Compaq software, all still working too, and someone even managed to upgrade it to Windows 98 without making the compaq software fuss over compatibility. I didn't expect to be able to upgrade the video since I thought the monitor was all internally wired, but some smart guy at Compaq decided to just run the speaker, mic, vga, and power cords all out of the monitor like normal, only shorter of course.

Once I get the rest of the parts here Ill pop some inside pics. The whole computer actually slides right out of the chassis like a drawer, really spiffy and easy to work on, again another thing I wasn't expecting.

I'm just happy I happened to be looking for Compaq stuff when this got listed, it was up for sale for only 2 hours before I found it. I actually thought I was seeing things since this is the first one like this I've ever seen for sale anywhere online.

I remember when those were for sale. I opted for the cheaper build my own route.
I miss the quantum hard drives. I use to raid 0 4 of them using a Promise IDE raid card. Zippy, damed zippy!

Wher'd ya score that one?

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Not surprisingly, ebay is where I got it. Though like I said before, I've never seen one for sale on ebay in the last 5+ years, much less anywhere else, so I was pretty stoked when I got it.

I only need a couple more Compaq Presario PC's and I'll have my collection pretty complete (for what I'm looking for anyway Very Happy )

Everyone I know thinks I'm insane and have some screws loose for being a Compaq fan... but I don't care, I've never had an issue with Compaq (real compaqs, not them shotty HP heaps).

HP makes great printers and enterprise IT equipment though. Then again, they bought out my preferred brand of networking hardware too... Laughing

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Not surprisingly, ebay is where I got it. Though like I said before, I've never seen one for sale on ebay in the last 5+ years, much less anywhere else, so I was pretty stoked when I got it.

I only need a couple more Compaq Presario PC's and I'll have my collection pretty complete (for what I'm looking for anyway Very Happy )

Everyone I know thinks I'm insane and have some screws loose for being a Compaq fan... but I don't care, I've never had an issue with Compaq (real compaqs, not them shotty HP heaps).

HP makes great printers and enterprise IT equipment though. Then again, they bought out my preferred brand of networking hardware too... Laughing

I always liked the little Compaq's, as you said they are easy to work on. I really miss the old Compaq site they had every compaq from the beginning of time on there.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing....allot of the Pentium MMX mother boards wound't support L2 cache past 64Megs, even though they could handle 128. That's why I stopped at 64megs. It was actually faster for gaming then 128mb! Strange but true

CRT.

HD done right!
Luuk neele

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L2 cache of 64mb on a p1? I think you mean ram.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luuk neele wrote:

The intel chipsets couldn't cache (to L2) the RAM over 64MB, the only exception was the 430HX that could cache the full 512MB range.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Luuk neele

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the p54cs doesn't even have l2 cache.
You mean the maximum amount of ram that the chipset can address I think
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luuk neele wrote:

Instead the L2 was installed on the motherboard, it was even upgradable through the COAST module Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Pentium_chipsets
Also I was wrong, the 430NX goes also up to 512 cacheable memory...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_on_a_stick

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Luuk neele wrote:

Instead the L2 was installed on the motherboard, it was even upgradable through the COAST module Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Pentium_chipsets
Also I was wrong, the 430NX goes also up to 512 cacheable memory...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_on_a_stick

I just bought a 256k coast for one of my compaqs, came without cache (guessing from factory) so I figured it would smooth things out with cache, sad thing is, I actually notice a difference on the old beast! Laughing

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luuk neele wrote:

Actual system RAM 64MB but the L2 cache would only work up to 64megs. If you went to 128MB then it disabled the L2 cache and slowed things down. Especially when gaming as I recall.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: