Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I will never be an audiophile.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: I will never be an audiophile. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I look around different sites and forums and see what people "think" is good equipment and I have come to a single unwavering conclusion after a certain point it just all a bunch of rich ******* who have more money than sense. These people must think they have dog ears ! They don't. I would love to sit in a room with them and a bankroll of cash and do real A/B testing. Hey they got a 50/50 chance and I bet I would still make money. I only wish I could find a few of these genius's to play poker with. 50K for a turntable my ass ! At that point you are just a rube with too much money. So buy 2 !

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely Jeff. But I also think that those that spend that much money on the stuff, buy it for looks more than sound quality.

I can't say I consider myself an audiophile (of the true type, not an audiophool Wink ) but I do have a few nice pieces of equipment, but nothing crazy ridiculous like many of the rich a**holes you mentioned. My "expensive" equipment is my McIntosh, and I only have a few pieces, and I most certainly didn't pay retail. That said, I think McIntosh equipment is rather outstanding in sound quality, performance, reliability, and build quality, and THAT is why I went with it. Not because I had so much cash to blow I said what the hell Wink

I have to admit, those ridiculously priced turntables sure are beautiful to look at. If anything some could be considered art Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should be an Audiophile salesman ? Seems like an easy gig. Tell rich people that other rich people's stuff is better than what they currently have, and that they know it is. Its like an arms race ! Overpriced gear just sells itself ! You just got to figure how to learn what their financial limits are. A simple credit check would give you most of that information. You get a nice cut and if they don't like the way the new gear sounds just tell them they didn't spend enough on cables !
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
Maybe I should be an Audiophile salesman ? Seems like an easy gig. Tell rich people that other rich people's stuff is better than what they currently have, and that they know it is. Its like an arms race ! Overpriced gear just sells itself ! You just got to figure how to learn what their financial limits are. A simple credit check would give you most of that information. You get a nice cut and if they don't like the way the new gear sounds just tell them they didn't spend enough on cables !

BTDT.... it aint as easy as it Seems.....

View user's photo album (3 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, But NOW the rich are richer than EVER !
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.

i can clearly hear the difference between my meridian g08 cd player and the so called "hot-sh*t" cambridge audio blu-ray.

amplifiers? had some different amps over the years before settling on the accuphase mono blocks. worth every penny. haven't felt anything but satisfied since.

speakers? moved from janszen electrostatics to wilson watt/puppies. similar presentation in respect to overall rightness of the sound, but with the missing bottom end, and seemingly unconstrained/unlimited dynamics.

there are large differences in sound quality amongst audio products, whether you believe it or not. and largely, you get what you pay for. to a point.

audio jewellery? thats a different matter entirely.

i guess, what i'm saying is that say up to say 15k usd on a component there is a notable improvement in sound quality. above that? my ears ain't good enough.

and thanks to audiogon, we can buy the nice esoterica for pennies on the dollar. just like crt projectors...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never forget what the high end dealer in my area said to me when i was in my 20's.

Some people choose to spend 70k on a pool and back yard they will enjoy 3 months of the year.

And some people choose to spend 70k on a music or home theater system they can enjoy every day if they choose.

Its all relevant.

I love those rich people, I can get their over priced gear years later for a lot less.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: I will never be an audiophile. Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
I look around different sites and forums and see what people "think" is good equipment and I have come to a single unwavering conclusion after a certain point it just all a bunch of rich ******* who have more money than sense. These people must think they have dog ears ! They don't. I would love to sit in a room with them and a bankroll of cash and do real A/B testing. Hey they got a 50/50 chance and I bet I would still make money. I only wish I could find a few of these genius's to play poker with. 50K for a turntable my ass ! At that point you are just a rube with too much money. So buy 2 !

Rich people bigotry. Everyone, just don't respond to this hatred and feed the troll. Please shut down this thread moderator.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: I will never be an audiophile. Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Rich people bigotry. Everyone, just don't respond to this hatred and feed the troll. Please shut down this thread moderator.

thanks you Fox news

jeffslife wrote:
Jeff what brought this on? My 2 channel system was $6K retail, I paid $1900. buying from CL and Videogon and got my stuff in "like new" condition. I think it's very much an audiophile system. The guys your talking about are a very small minority, the only ones I've met were actually guys who market and sell their own high-end custom gear and kept a crazy set-up in place as a demo room/marketing tool
getting annoyed by guys with a $500K system and their own small power station to feed it "pure AC" is like getting angry at those idiots with 10K square foot homes, a Bugati they drive into a swamp while driving and texting, etc.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one guy who said you aren't even REALLY listening to music if you own speakers that cost less than 10K a pair. How anyone who really cared about music and didn't have at LEAST 40k in a sound system was mentally challenged if they thought their gear was actually giving them REAL MUSIC. I have been looking at these sites for about 2 years now and the one thing I know to a certainty is this. Whatever gear a guy owns is "decent and respectable" anything less than his is really just crap and the owner of said crap is just fooling themselves. Now the people who have gear that is "slightly more expensive" than their gear is OK but really not much better than theirs, And the people who spend ungodly sums on gear are just show offs and probably tone deaf anyway.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like drivers. Anybody who drives slower than you is a road hazard, anybody who drives faster is a dangerous maniac. Laughing
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I will never be an audiophile. Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
...I have come to a single unwavering conclusion after a certain point it just all a bunch of rich ******* who have more money than sense...

So they think everyone who spends below a certain amount on their setup is "mentally challenged" , and you think that anyone who spends over a certain amount is an "*******". Your blanket statement is no better than theirs.

Jeff, please go re-read the forum rules. Your blanket statements and comments here are just as insulting as theirs. I'm sick of this crap.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN, I think I struck a nerve ! Sorry so sensitive. Maybe this will lighten the mood.

I have for sale a turntable cartridge. It is made from the only tooth in the mouth of a butterfly from deepest darkest Africa that is only present after its birth for 22 minutes at which point it dissolves into gossamer wings. It will play in the groove of an LP for EXACTLY 19 minutes at which point it dissapaits. For those 19 minutes though it will reproduce sound that is pure perfection ! You will hear every single note, every movement in the recording studio. You will also be able to not only hear but through this unique medium, feel the earth as it hurtles through space ! All this for the very fair price of $92,000 dollars. $90,000 when you buy in lots of 6. These will only be available in the month of april for 3 days as they perish within two weeks whether used or not. Get yours now ! Before your friends do ! Supplys are VERY LIMITED !
CASH SALES ONLY ! Pre order for next year !

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess im "challenged" as well... Because if (WHEN) i EVER get to the point where i have that kind of money....

I wont bat an EYE buying Audiophile level tech....

It's my money, I worked HARD for it, and I'll spend it in ways that make me happy.

If you've ever heard real audiophile level tech in action..... It's an EXPERIENCE!!!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I will never be an audiophile. Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Jeff, please go re-read the forum rules. Your blanket statements and comments here are just as insulting as theirs. I'm sick of this crap.

+1.

I don't mean this to be personal Jeff, because you're not the only one. But, all this us vs. them crap is really getting old. It's no more OK to bash on people because they have a lot of disposable income than it is to bash on people because they're poor. That reminds me... I have no doubt you found that thread distasteful, so I'd just like to point out that this one is in a similar vein, or at least exhibits similar overtones.

Didn't your mothers ever tell you, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

Lighten up, people.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
I guess im "challenged" as well... Because if (WHEN) i EVER get to the point where i have that kind of money....

I wont bat an EYE buying Audiophile level tech....

It's my money, I worked HARD for it, and I'll spend it in ways that make me happy.

If you've ever heard real audiophile level tech in action..... It's an EXPERIENCE!!!

Totally agree, John. I do have a problem with some of the "audiofool" stuff like cable elevators and rocks and wooden knobs, but that stuff isn't at all in the same category as expensive, high-end audiophile gear.

At this point in my life, a $100k system is completely ridiculous, and I may never get to a point in my life where a $100k two-channel system doesn't seem ridiculous (even if I could afford it!), but I don't begrudge anybody one bit for spending $100k on a system or even on a set of speakers. It's their money to do with as they please - not mine.

An expensive audiophile system is no more ridiculous than spending $100k, $500k, or even a million or more on an elite supercar. Again, not my money.

Besides, more power to these guys! I'm glad there are people out there that can afford the finer things, whether it's audiophile gear, cars, yachts, architecture, etc. If it weren't for them, the stuff would never be be made for me to admire (and aspire to) in the first place.

Stop with the negativity!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
DAMN, I think I struck a nerve ! Sorry so sensitive. Maybe this will lighten the mood.

I have for sale a turntable cartridge. It is made from the only tooth in the mouth of a butterfly from deepest darkest Africa that is only present after its birth for 22 minutes at which point it dissolves into gossamer wings. It will play in the groove of an LP for EXACTLY 19 minutes at which point it dissapaits. For those 19 minutes though it will reproduce sound that is pure perfection ! You will hear every single note, every movement in the recording studio. You will also be able to not only hear but through this unique medium, feel the earth as it hurtles through space ! All this for the very fair price of $92,000 dollars. $90,000 when you buy in lots of 6. These will only be available in the month of april for 3 days as they perish within two weeks whether used or not. Get yours now ! Before your friends do ! Supplys are VERY LIMITED !
CASH SALES ONLY ! Pre order for next year !

*sigh* This post is also insulting for the exact same reasons. You're poking fun at the same group of people once again.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES. THEY ARE HERE: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

You're breaking many of the rules including the following offenses: Insults and Trolling.

I'm specifically calling you out on this is because I found your first post (and subsequent) posts to be insulting to me directly. I have spent a lot of money on audio/video equipment, much of which would most certainly deem me to be an "*******" to you based on your initial post.

I highly suggest you stop and think before you post. If your post is insulting to anyone or is intentionally looking to cause negative reactions (trolling), DON'T POST.

Kal

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I had written and tried to post before the site temporarily shut down and I didn't get it to load. I copied it and saved it in hopes of posting.

OK then so there will be NO more discussions of the spending habits of the rich or the poor on here. Good to know ! My biggest point about this audiophile nonsense was, having the knowledge of almost every person on this sites gear, Including Kal's these so called experts believe EVERY SINGLE PERSON HERE'S gear is basically mediocre crap. I always believed it was a matter of perspective myself, and was told here that room treatment was at LEAST as important as the gear. Is that not true anymore ? Is it really about 10K speakers ? and 6000 watt amps ? And a BASIC TT that costs 10K ? Are the EXPERTS correct ? Is every single Audio system that belongs to a member here mediocre crap ? Is it true that you cannot get a GOOD stereo system for less than 50K ? I guess I feel sad for all of us because we have no idea what real music sounds like.

I hope that doesn't offend you Kal. It was NEVER meant to.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
OK then so there will be NO more discussions of the spending habits of the rich or the poor on here. Good to know !

No. You're not understanding. There should be no insulting or trolling. You may certainly discuss spending habits of any group of folk you like as long as you follow the rules. Calling people who spent a lot of money on audio equipment "*******" is not following the rules. If the reasons why are not clear, I would highly suggest you don't post.

Quote:
My biggest point about this audiophile nonsense was, having the knowledge of almost every person on this sites gear, Including Kal's these so called experts believe EVERY SINGLE PERSON HERE'S gear is basically mediocre crap.

That may be their opinion. Doesn't mean you should be calling them *******.

Quote:
I always believed it was a matter of perspective myself, and was told here that room treatment was at LEAST as important as the gear. Is that not true anymore ? Is it really about 10K speakers ? and 6000 watt amps ? And a BASIC TT that costs 10K ? Are the EXPERTS correct ? Is every single Audio system that belongs to a member here mediocre crap ? Is it true that you cannot get a GOOD stereo system for less than 50K ? I guess I feel sad for all of us because we have no idea what real music sounds like.

All relevant. IMHO, the room is very important.

Starting a discussion about these topics and talking about them would be a good thing. That would have been a much better approach.

Quote:
I hope that doesn't offend you Kal. It was NEVER meant to.

This post doesn't. I think the issue may be that you don't realize when your posts are offensive, and when they are not. That IMHO is not a good thing.

Kal

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will refrain from the use of the word ******* from now on. I promise. I will also keep my posts in line with the same level of discontent used by others on this site. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The post about the turntable cartridge was a JOKE. It was a joke about all the snake oil products sold to audiophiles like directional speaker cables for example. I really thought it would make you laugh. I REALLY DID ! I never meant to be hurtful or hateful to ANYONE on this site. To be quite honest I don't know of one single person on this site that I consider to be rich. Not even close. No one. Period. Unless they are hiding it really really well, at best the wealthiest person I see on here is upper middle class. That aint rich. Sorry but it aint. As far as the A--hole thing goes I guess I can be as big a one as anyone else on here from time to time. I apologize for that. I don't revel in it like some. I will do my best not be one in the future. When I slip please point it out to me like you do everyone else. Again, My Sincere Apologies. Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: