Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

IceClear AF evaluation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: IceClear AF evaluation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, IceClear AF arrived last night, and I replaced the distilled water I was using for testing in the 9500LC.
The differences are significantly noticeable between distilled water and the IceClear AF. I have no reference for regular CRT fluid, as it was all bad, and the projector was not even slightly installed correctly before it was removed.
The total cost for 1 gallon was $20 shipped, and the installation process was no hassle. Regardless, I feel this is evaluation worthy. I've got razor thin convergence lines where they used to be fluffy caterpillars even under the best of circumstances. I'm going to say this is probably how the ethylene glycol based fluids work however, as the refractive index of the main chemicals are pretty much the same. There may be visual gains between the two, but they are probably miniscule.
This is more about cost effectiveness, and a modern day eco friendly chemical alternative evaluation.

I have started this thread to track the performance of IceClear AF, as I have not been able to find any definitive evaluations for use in our projectors. I will be taking pictures of tubes and quantities of the installed fluid at random intervals, and have 2 control containers set out as well, to test color stability. One container has 2 original screws used in the LC chambers. The other does not, as all the major screws have been converted to stainless steel.

IceClear AF is appealing over traditional EG+Glycerine cut compositions for the reasons that DP+G isn't as destructive and reactive with aluminum vs EG, and includes a multi-metal corrosion inhibitor. If this material stays color stable, and clarity stable, this could pan out to be a worthwhile substitute, and at a total lower installation cost.

No image pictures are currently available, as my phone was flat by the time setup and testing began, but they will be added.

received_853121821413678.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.22 KB
 Viewed:  15320 Time(s)

received_853121821413678.jpeg

0310152133b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.52 KB

0310152133b.jpg

received_853063968086130.jpeg
 Description:
IceClear AF container
 Filesize:  68.33 KB

received_853063968086130.jpeg

Last edited by CSX on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice I have had a few different samples of the ICe clear from Orison but have not had a need to use them after I got bran new marquee tubes.

Will be watching this tread.

How often do you think you will give visual updates?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching all the tubes and test containers with a close eye. Especially in the first few months.
Updates probably will be done a weekly basis for 90 days unless there's another reason to make an update, and afterwards, shift to longer intervals, with status updates as needed, or just to say "still good."
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Mike Parker used it once but he did not use it anymore when I asked.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chat with Mike over it before purchasing.
You are correct, but he had nothing negative to say surround it, so I decided to continue with this evaluation for a all 3 colors.
If I recall correctly, he only had enough material to test 1 tube.
redfox001 wrote:
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing! If it is successful I will try it too.

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSX wrote:
I had a chat with Mike over it before purchasing.
You are correct, but he had nothing negative to say surround it, so I decided to continue with this evaluation for a all 3 colors.
If I recall correctly, he only had enough material to test 1 tube.
redfox001 wrote:

Correct. Good stuff from what I remember. It definitely made for a sharper image over the standard glycol. And by only having enough for one tube at the time, I was not able to fully evaluate it. I was using it in my RED CRT which was much sharper than Blue and Green
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to add. The projector is ceiling mounted, so the fluid is constantly in contact with the stainless steel screws and bare chamber threads. This is why there is no control group for the stainless steel screws.

The chambers were cleaned with alcohol and the C-elements washed down with light detergent, and allowed to dry prior to filling the chambers with the IceClear AF.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSX wrote:
Oh, I forgot to add. The projector is ceiling mounted, so the fluid is constantly in contact with the stainless steel screws and bare chamber threads. This is why there is no control group for the stainless steel screws.

The chambers were cleaned with alcohol and the C-elements washed down with light detergent, and allowed to dry prior to filling the chambers with the IceClear AF.

it be nice to see how my Bellows also react with this.

nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
CSX wrote:

it be nice to see how my Bellows also react with this.

nashou

I agree!
The projector has Nashou66's bellows in place. They were also THOROUGHLY cleaned with mild detergent and water baths over the course of 3 days just to ensure that as much of the release agent as possible was removed.
Probably overkill, but it took that long until I didn't see traces of white / hazy appearing streaks on the bellows, and the water remained clear when rinsing.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a 100% Glycerin based chemical, so it's not going to react with anything. I like it and use it and have even sent some to customers. No complaints.
Had some early issues with fungus threads growing in the LC chamber but I'm pretty sure I was using tech-spray "TV coolant" at the time, before I switched to ice-clear.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
maf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSX

At Orison Marketing website they show a minimum order of 5 gallons. Do they sell in 1 gallon containers if you contact them, or is there another place that sells IceClear AF in 1 gallon containers?
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maf wrote:
CSX

At Orison Marketing website they show a minimum order of 5 gallons. Do they sell in 1 gallon containers if you contact them, or is there another place that sells IceClear AF in 1 gallon containers?

maf:
I made a special arrangement with Orison for 1 gallon, by contacting them for the approval for the sale via email, before calling the ordering line.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much can someone send me a bottle of this for when i mount my new tubes in my Cine 9?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind some of this either.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet.....I will be testing fluorinert in a few months.
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
sweet.....I will be testing fluorinert in a few months.

While I am 10000% behind fostering innovation, Fluorinert has a refractive index lower than distilled water. You also really shouldn't be breathing the stuff, or letting it sit on your skin.
I'm not sure of the reactivity with the bellows, as it's basic MSDS information makes it very easy to dismiss as a viable alternative.

Edit:
And if you are wondering what a picture on distilled water looks like:
-Acceptable center focus
-Poor sides, top, and bottom focus.
-Less than poor corner focus
-Air bubble in LC chamber casts reflections to the floor or ceiling of light beams.
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
So how much can someone send me a bottle of this for when i mount my new tubes in my Cine 9?

I can ship it to you for a great price. When are you expecting to do the tubes?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably pretty soon, ive got the old tubes out of the set at the moment.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CSX

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Probably pretty soon, ive got the old tubes out of the set at the moment.

I'll check on Monday how fast I can get things shipped to AUS, and still be cost efficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: