Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My screen replacement sucks!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: My screen replacement sucks!!!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Gents....my 2 year old took a kitchen knife to my screen. I ordered a replacement da-lite screen for the frame from a guy off ebay. Its a different type. This thing hot-spots like a mutha. Gain is like 1.7. Bet it has glass beads. I swear I cannot have anything nice. My wife wrecked her mini-van the other day and now wants to drive my suburban around town. This thing delivered my projector to my house.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run your fingernail over the screen. If it feels like sandpaper, then you have a glass bead, which is indeed worthless. Send it back if he advertised it as a matte white. Can you not build a wooden frame and tack material onto it? that's what I did.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its time to build a DIY screen. With younglings in the house, I'd recommend Wilsonart Designer White - it's practically indestructible. Food, shoes, crayons - it's all good. You can probably build it for around $150 give or take. In five years when the kids are older, throw it away or hang it in the garage and get what you want.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Sounds like its time to build a DIY screen. With younglings in the house, I'd recommend Wilsonart Designer White - it's practically indestructible. Food, shoes, crayons - it's all good. You can probably build it for around $150 give or take. In five years when the kids are older, throw it away or hang it in the garage and get what you want.

SC

I agree with Steve, the wilsonart is awesome for DIY. I have a piece I used for a garage sale to sell some of my cheapo projectors with and a lot of people tried to buy the screen I made off me. I would have sold it but I wouldn't have had anything to project onto then Laughing

Worth looking into with kids around Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go dumping the screen, check to see if it is a Dalite screen. If it is and you are sure it has glass beads, then it might be a High Power. You will know because the screen is retroreflective. If it is indeed a High Power, then you are lucky as they are worth a lot more than what you probably paid for your screen. Based on your hot spotting description, I doubt it is a High Power.

As was mentioned, a solid screen might be a better choice. You can also look into Sintra and Gatorboard.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen consists of a sheet of masonite painted with Behr ultra flat pure white. Dead simple, dirt cheap, works great.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contacted the seller....it is an HP screen. I still need to try it on my CRT. But the Epson showed no hot spotting when shooting from the ground. But it had some from sitting on the side when it was being shot from high above. Does that help?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
contacted the seller....it is an HP screen. I still need to try it on my CRT. But the Epson showed no hot spotting when shooting from the ground. But it had some from sitting on the side when it was being shot from high above. Does that help?
not really,

I've set-up 3 CRT's on High Power screens and none of them " hot spotted like a mutha!". Uniformity should be decent, not perfect, but at least acceptable. Biggest issue is color shift, but even that should be uniform, Blue shift from side of room closes to blue tube, red shift from the other side, but across the whole screen, not parts of it. If you want perfect uniformity, then you need a matte 1:1 , the next step is a 1.3 gain but even that has a touch of hot-spotting in the center.

sorry about your van, my wife has managed to either wreck or damage ot some degree all 3 cars she's had since I've known here. chalk it up to the cost of being married. Wink
View user's photo album (2 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not run CRT onto it yet.....need to bring it in from outside....I pressure washed it yesterday. It came in the mail dirty. She is NOT going to drive my burb!!! Thing is mint and plan to keep it that way.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
I have not run CRT onto it yet.....need to bring it in from outside....I pressure washed it yesterday. It came in the mail dirty.
I'm pretty sure you'll like it, only exception is if you don't have perfect light control. HP can pick up stray light pretty quickly.
Otherwise it's a very vibrant and punchy picture.

digitalayon wrote:
She is NOT going to drive my burb!!! Thing is mint and plan to keep it that way.
good luck with that one Thumbs Up
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
I have not run CRT onto it yet.....need to bring it in from outside....I pressure washed it yesterday. It came in the mail dirty. She is NOT going to drive my burb!!! Thing is mint and plan to keep it that way.

Why would you pressure wash it? I hope you didn't ruin it.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sorta sticky in spots...It came out nice.....i hit it from 5 feet away. My pressure washer is only 1800 psi and that's at the outlet. But I used hot water. Dried it with a few micro clothes. Looks great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: