Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help! Just bought ECP 4500 and the picture's distorted :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Help! Just bought ECP 4500 and the picture's distorted :( Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just picked up an ECP 4500, the guy said that the tubes have 500 hours on them. I got it home to set it up and the picture is distorted. Does it need to be degaussed? I tried calibrating the convergence but in some spots the lines aren't straight. also the focus is a little off. Here's the pics. I also took pictures of the tubes to find out if they're in good shape.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping you didn't actually pay money for this set. It should have been free, or REALLY close to free.

Do a full reset via the instructions on the main website, that hopefully will do it. There's no hour meter in the ECP, so I have no idea how the seller came up with the 500 hours. Top lack of focus looks like Scheimpflug adjustment issues rather than a tube or internal focus issue.
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I feel stupid for buying it :p it was $190, the guy said the tubes were replace and he'd only put about 500 hours on it since replacing them.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat it. I t will be a fun PJ to use and watch. The tube do look pristine and you'll get thousands of hours out of it.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't mean for you to feel bad. It is the second to last ECP set that Ehome made, and they are pretty darn reliable. Check out this link, do the reset (you'll have to start the setup from scratch as you'll wipe the memory) and that should do it.

http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeECP.shtm
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I thought it would be fun to play with, and better then spending money on a cheap pocket LED DLP projector.
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the reset but still had distortion in the convergence grid pattern, I wiggled the convergence card and the grid became normal (dirty contacts?) other than that the only other thing is the top of the grid still goes off at an angle like it does in the picture so if that's caused by Scheimpflug adjustment how do I do that?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the grid does not go off the edge of the tube face. thats what it looks like it might be. Does it remain there if you shrink the size of the grid down?

Aslo I would clean all connectors for everything. Make sure you note what goes where and how it is connected.

Have fun.

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the grid on the tube faces and it's within the tube face. other ideas? also I noticed in dark scenes the right edge of the screen is faintly brighter than the rest of the image (like a faint line), I paused and peaked into the tubes and they all have a slight bright edge on one side, is there a way to adjust that? when the image is totally dark it's not there. Also how would you suggest cleaning the connectors, Q tips? and what kind of solution should I use deoxit?

Thanks again for the help Smile
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh also you can see the outline of the whole tube face on the wall it's very faint but I thought that I only should see the area that the image is on? the outline isn't affected by shrinking the imagine it's constant. Is there a way to adjust that?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your G2 is set a bit too high. that's an internal adjustment on the focus board.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinker wrote:
Also how would you suggest cleaning the connectors, Q tips? and what kind of solution should I use deoxit?
Thanks again for the help Smile
by cleaning, it's not dirt your after, but oxidation on the contacts which is not usually visible to the eye. Get a small bottle of De-oxit, the one that looks like a nail polish bottle with brush on applicator tip. around 10 bucks and just brush it on all contacts. then plug the board in 2 or 3 times to get a fresh wipe on the metal edges. After that should be good for another 20 years
View user's photo album (2 photos)
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G2 helped out, it's black now during dark scenes and barely noticeable during bright scenes and the line on the edge is pretty much gone. I'm going to have to pick up some of that deoxit with a brush, I don't think any of the local stores here carry it. I noticed that if I go beyond 6 for contrast I start getting green outlines on the image thoughts?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pix of the grid at 50 , 75 and 100% contrast.
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice it much in the grid but if you look at the top right you can see that the green line extends more at different contrast settings, looking at the grid again I think I might have shifted the projector when I was adjusting the G2 Razz I need to get a screen too :p

50 Percent

75 Percent

100 Percent

thinker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is of any use but here's a pic that I projected

original:

through the projector:

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of what I think you're seeing is the age and limitation of the tubes. It's an ES focusing set which is a few steps below an EM focusing set with larger tubes. Frankly, the image doesn't look bad for the age of the overall set. I think your red is a bit too high on the G2, seems like everything has a pink tint to it. Do you have an AVIA disc? Get one cheap on ebay, and it has gray scale test patterns in it to properly set the G2.

http://www.curtpalme.com/ES_Tube_Projector_Gray_Scale_Adjustment3.shtm

Other things that can cause the streaking/bleeding you're seeing is improper focus or astig magnet settings, a bad video neck board, misadjusted trimpots on the video drive board, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting...
thinker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have an avia disc but I can't seem to find it :p I agree that the red seems too high. That's a long list for streaking/bleeding where should I start?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONe at a time. Smile

Seriously, it could be about anywhere in the set. Short of buying spare parts, all you can do is swap the CRT sockets between tubes, as all are identical, to see if the problem follows the board.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use it and enjoy it, you'll get $190 worth out for sure Very Happy
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: