Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Went to a Record store yesterday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Went to a Record store yesterday Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's been quite a few years since I stepped foot in a record store, life happened. had kids, got fat, raced my bicycle, got skinny, got fat again .

Finally needed some fresh material for the 2-channel system, so I went thru my stack of LP's that have been sitting here and put together a pile of stuff I wanted to trade in. Had about 5 still sealed in plastic that weren't selling on Audiogon, A 1983 Carpenters, couple of 80's Elton John, Best of Doobie bros., the Letterman. another 7 or 8 opened but all NM on the record and covers or NM + VG++ like Def Leppard Pyromania, a few Bob Segers, my awful (but minty Smile Black Sabbath Volume 4 from Castle/Sanctuary, etc. I was fully expecting to get offered 25 bucks, was going ot argue for 30. Couldn't believe it when the guy said $50. : O

Then I found out why, the store was almost picked CLEAN. When the heck did this happen?on the used records, Zeppelin, Floyd, Sabbath, ZERO STOCK. Cream, Boston, Dire straits, etc. only the first album in stock ( which I have). Some other not so highly collectible stuff I couldn't find either , like Chris Isaak. I grabbed the only LZ I could find, a brand new LZ-2 that Jimmy Page recently "re-mastered"
+ a Half speed Boston, sealed George Benson Breezin, Traffic On the Road , Steve Winwood Arc of a Diver and Back in the High Life , and Kansas Point of No Return and Masque. cost me all of 13 bucks out of pocket. A good night and well worth the trip but man, this new "vinyl resurgence " is tuff on us old guys used ot walking in and finding whatever we wanted anytime we wanted it .

I asked the guy at the counter, he told me LZ and Floyd sell on the same day they come in. Earlier in the day a gal tried to haggle down Song Remains the same from 30 down to 20, then 25., they said no-way. "we can sell these for $30. all day long". Really funny thing is they don't even offer cash for CD'sw anymore, it's in store credit only, probably 25/50 cents each.
I guess my advice is go often and if you see something for a good price grab it. If you know of a good re-issue that is available grab it . Today I ordered 3 new Black Sabbath albums re-issued by Rhino Records for 50 bucks, he firt albm, self titles, Master of Reality and Volume 4.
I will need to start scavenging yard sales and thrift shops again again too.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
mycatisretarded

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a record store?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record Store (noun): A place where hipsters go to buy different fetish vinyl.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
LOL, no Curt, it's not hipsters who are clearing out the bins. It's actually young people, 20 year olds. Which is weird when you consider that vinyl as a mainstream medium disappeared early 90's. I remember going to a music store and seeing LP's on sale, $2. to $3. each, I should have been buying them by the truck-load.
A brand new LP averages $25. now.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right its the twentysomethings.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to find records now the best bet is to look on Amazon, GEMM, or eBay.

Being in Chicago I am fortunate to be able to look on GEMM and often find the record I want is being offered from a record store in Chicago as this is now the record capital inside the USA. GEMM is cool because it carries inventories from record stores all over the world. I have had good luck with many vendors in Europe and and especially in Japan (as on eBay too). Amazon has a surprising number of new and used records and a good return policy mandated on the vendors.

Of course, you can also wind up dealing with crap like this when you buy records based on grading and sight unseen:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=432083

Have fun with record shopping and pay no attention to these other jerks Mr. Green

On a side, if you want to sell any of your old CD's you may be shocked what they are worth. Most of my CD's are out of print and I could not beleive how many titles I own (maybe 100+ CD's) that sell used on Amazon and eBay for over $50 now. I have quite a few that are close to $100 discs on eBay. Trouble is I don't want to sell any of them.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:
LOL, no Curt, it's not hipsters who are clearing out the bins. It's actually young people, 20 year olds. Which is weird when you consider that vinyl as a mainstream medium disappeared early 90's. I remember going to a music store and seeing LP's on sale, $2. to $3. each, I should have been buying them by the truck-load.
A brand new LP averages $25. now.

It's crazy. I have a pile of records I bought new for the typical less than $15 years ago that are worth hundreds of dollars now. Some examples include Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Phish Story of a Ghost and Lawn Boy, Widespread Panic Space Wrangler and Bombs and Butterflies... It seems that the most likely valuable records are albums that were released after CD's came to be so I guess there were less records printed of them and the value has just skyrocketed especially over the past couple years. I have been literally wondering if I should get a rider on my homeowners insurance to cover my records.

The classic rock albums are not too valuable unless there is something special about the particular printing. I think there are still just too may clean copies floating around of them.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, leave us 20somethings out of this, just because you old farts left your dusty media behind and didn't think about it for 20 years isn't our fault Razz

We do appreciate it though Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

On a side, if you want to sell any of your old CD's you may be shocked what they are worth. Most of my CD's are out of print and I could not beleive how many titles I own (maybe 100+ CD's) that sell used on Amazon and eBay for over $50 now. I have quite a few that are close to $100 discs on eBay. Trouble is I don't want to sell any of them.

craigr

Really? I was given a few huge bins of CD's. Most of its 80's and 90s rap/pop/rock/metal, don't know if its of any value, but if it is... I won't be cashing in on that one either, I don't want to get rid of them!

On another interesting side note, I was testing a cassette deck out yesterday and it ate the tape I put in it,ot thinking about the tape of course. Well the deck ate the tape (which wasn't a surprise since its over 20 years old and never gone through).

I did get it out, and had to repair it. For the hell of it since its a good sounding recordable cassette, I looked it up on ebay. To my surprise it's worth $50 to $150 PER cassette!!

Needless to say I felt like an idiot, wont be using any of those tapes again (and man do I have a load of em Very Happy) Maxell Metaxial MX90, and when using a good deck and source, recording on these and listening to them is quite a pleasure!

I guess a rule of thumb is take care of your media Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a TON of Original Master Recordings as well as Simply Vinyl! ALL 180 Gram and MINT!!!!!! I am a Happy Camper! Even got a professional record cleaner (vacuum) for 200 Bucks! THEY SOUND AMAZING! NEVER going to sell them! Smile

Cliffy
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
I just picked up a TON of Original Master Recordings as well as Simply Vinyl! ALL 180 Gram and MINT!!!!!! I am a Happy Camper! Even got a professional record cleaner (vacuum) for 200 Bucks! THEY SOUND AMAZING! NEVER going to sell them! Smile

Cliffy

What cleaner did you get Cliff?

I have a not so glamorous, but highly functional KAB unit:
https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

The cleaning results are amazing to my ear.

I would love to get an automated cleaner, but can't justify the expense for my needs.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:

Cliffy
I like the Mofi's, but they're not my favorite. They rolled off the high's on a lot of these and they all sound just a little muddy to me. I think the new vinyl being pressed today is the best there's even been. Not all of it, there was some real crap cranked out over the last 15 years too, mastered off of digital copes and such, but the premium stuff is really amazing.

CIR Engineering wrote:
Of course, you can also wind up dealing with crap like this when you buy records based on grading and sight unseen:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=432083
I've bought only a few from flea-bay for that reason, if it's used I need ot see it. I've heard of used record stores that re-seal old records, that doesn't work for me either.

CIR Engineering wrote:
On a side, if you want to sell any of your old CD's you may be shocked what they are worth. Most of my CD's are out of print and I could not believe how many titles I own (maybe 100+ CD's) that sell used on Amazon and eBay for over $50 now. I have quite a few that are close to $100 discs on eBay. Trouble is I don't want to sell any of them.
there is always rare and collectible versions of everything, but the guy at the counter told me " we're not even paying cash for used CD's anymore, store credit only". The CD is dying, and it doesn't really have a niche IMO. If you want something compact and convenient then digital streaming is the way things will go. If you want the art, sound, and feel of analog then LP's. The CD is in between but doesn't give you the best of either digital convenience or analog purity.

CIR Engineering wrote:
Have fun with record shopping and pay no attention to these other jerks Mr. Green
I'll try, but don't just want to punch these guys in the face. Luckily there were none in the grungy , middle class neighborhood where my favorite record store is located,
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
On another interesting side note, I was testing a cassette deck out yesterday and it ate the tape I put in it,ot thinking about the tape of course. Well the deck ate the tape (which wasn't a surprise since its over 20 years old and never gone through).
this I haven't heard, there is some interest in 8-track of all things but haven't heard any discussion anywhere on cassette being sought after.

Jeremy112 wrote:
I did get it out, and had to repair it. For the hell of it since its a good sounding recordable cassette, I looked it up on ebay. To my surprise it's worth $50 to $150 PER cassette!!
wow, for what? Original recordings? What I remember is the tapes you got that came per-recorded from the manufacturer were all really low quality , usually you could throw them away after only a few dozen plays.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
The CD is dying, and it doesn't really have a niche IMO. If you want something compact and convenient then digital streaming is the way things will go. If you want the art, sound, and feel of analog then LP's. The CD is in between but doesn't give you the best of either digital convenience or analog purity.

Streaming is fine for non-critical listening, like in the car or working in the garage. I use Spotify all the time for instances like that. The CD isn't as convenient as streaming, but it's still the best, least expensive way to buy audio that's as close as possible to the quality of the master recording.

LOL at "analog purity".

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, it's worth noting that music sales in general are way down, not just CD sales, partially due to streaming. Vinyl sales is way up, but it's way up from practically zilch, meaning it's still not even a speck in CD and streaming's rear view mirrors yet.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
overclkr wrote:

Cliffy
I like the Mofi's, but they're not my favorite. They rolled off the high's on a lot of these and they all sound just a little muddy to me. I think the new vinyl being pressed today is the best there's even been. Not all of it, there was some real crap cranked out over the last 15 years too, mastered off of digital copes and such, but the premium stuff is really amazing.

I bought the newest Beatles mono box set on the advice of a friend / client who is the ultimate beatles fan with multiple copies of pretty much all pressings including very rare ones that cost him literally thousands of dollars each. He agrees with most of the reviews that the new Beatles releases are the best sounding ever hands down. It's really spectacular sounding and the albums are nearly exact replicas of the original UK release which is quite cool. You can also buy the albums singly without committing to the entire box set.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
this I haven't heard, there is some interest in 8-track of all things but haven't heard any discussion anywhere on cassette being sought after.

tapeheads.net - you'll see what I mean. Just check out the Nakamichi Dragon on ebay...

draganm wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
wow, for what? Original recordings? What I remember is the tapes you got that came per-recorded from the manufacturer were all really low quality , usually you could throw them away after only a few dozen plays.

You're correct, studio pre-recorded cassettes generally do sound like crap - they are recorded on low quality tape. I'm referring to blank cassettes like TDK and Maxell. Maxell tape is very sought after in Reel 2 Reel and Cassette format.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The CD isn't as convenient as streaming, but it's still the best, least expensive way to buy audio that's as close as possible to the quality of the master recording.
i'm sure to someone with Tin-ears like you the CD is good enough.

ecrabb wrote:
LOL at "analog purity".SC
well I don't expect you to understand, your a computer guy who probably thinks a powerful enough computer can paint like Matis or Rembrandt, all it needs is a really good printer.

ecrabb wrote:
BTW, it's worth noting that music sales in general are way down, not just CD sales, partially due to streaming. Vinyl sales is way up, but it's way up from practically zilch, meaning it's still not even a speck in CD and streaming's rear view mirrors yet.
SC
again, you don't know what your talking about. I don't care how many kids are streaming Taylor Swift, it has nothing ot with vinyl records. Companies are building brand new vinyl pressing machines at over 2 million a pop. they're not doing that for a blip. Wink

CIR Engineering wrote:
I bought the newest Beatles mono box set on the advice of a friend / client who is the ultimate beatles fan with multiple copies of pretty much all pressings including very rare ones that cost him literally thousands of dollars each. He agrees with most of the reviews that the new Beatles releases are the best sounding ever hands down. It's really spectacular sounding and the albums are nearly exact replicas of the original UK release which is quite cool. You can also buy the albums singly without committing to the entire box set.

craigr
well considering the original Blue Box set from the mid 80's was selling for over $1K they would have been crazy not to to re-issue. I'm not a Beatles fan, I have more than I will ever listen to, including an original Sgt. Peppers with the cut outs for the shoulder lapels and mustache so you could dress up as Sgt, Pepper.
I might buy Abbey Rd. and Let it Be but that's it,
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
LOL at "analog purity".

Agreed. I particularly smile when I see spinning vinyl on.... YouTube. Razz My favorite radio station spins alot of vinyl these days, because it's hip, and I listen to it and enjoy it.... streaming digitally. Rolling Eyes

I get that vinyl often has better mastering with less loudness wars compression, but that has little to do with it being analog.

I'd bet that most all of us could digitize the spinning LP with a cheap 16 bit DAC at 44.1k sampling and we couldn't pass a blind A/B level matched discrimination test.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
overclkr wrote:

Cliffy

What cleaner did you get Cliff?

I have a not so glamorous, but highly functional KAB unit:
https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

The cleaning results are amazing to my ear.

I would love to get an automated cleaner, but can't justify the expense for my needs.

craigr

It's a VPI and it is AWESOME. I love it! Not that the records that came with it need cleaning LOL. THEY ARE MINT!

U should come on down sometime as I am moving to Florida in the near future!

Cliff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: