Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco SEOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
gregstv wrote:
What I am saying is its every bit as good as the XG in sharpness. The picture has far less noise and more depth on the Barco. Much smoother picture. I think most of this comes from the new Moome card. I only had a HD fury2 on the NEC. The biggest problem with the XG is the green tube takes about 20-25minutes to settle. I replaced it only 18 months ago. It still a 10 with no burn in at all. Maybe an internal Moome card would make the XG look a lot better. The XG is on the bench and ready to be played with. At this stage I am happy with the Barco for now.

For fairness you should try the HDF2 on the barco too. But The NEC should not need 20 minutes to warm up / settle. Interesting you write how smooth the Barco's picture. You probably have the so-called 120MHz neckboards in your 808 which are known for the candle light flicker effect on low brightness scenes, that made many people go back to the 75MHz neckboards. But the good movie pleasure should not depend on projector brand Thumbs Up

View user's photo album (1 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the NEC is on the bench its easy to work on. To hard when its on the ceiling. The NEC comes on very green and takes quite a while to drop back to normal.

Not sure what you mean by candle light sparkle. I don't see any problem with dark seans. The wife prefers the Barco as well so its not my eyes. I have heaps of spares for the NEC so I am going to play with it. One thing with the NEC was that a standard DVD was to grainy to watch. Maybe something in the video chane is causing noise. I will start with the HDFury2.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure about the MOOME bring it up that high, surely the RGB on an 808 cant be that bad, its pretty even steven between the MOOME and RGB on mine, although port 5 is a shade better.

My XG has no noise in the image at all. Id say the noise was the poxy HDF2, its a huge drawback. I have an internal MOOME in mine, and again, pretty much a shade better using RGB.

The fact your green is taking anything at all to settle says youve got an issue, mine takes about 2 minutes tops and its rock solid from there on, which is how they should be!!

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD being grainy to watch is your setup, its not the XG.

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference in the XG and the Barco setup is the XG used a HDFury. Nothing else has changed.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HDF2 sucks balls mate, youre comparing a dog turd dipped in gold paint to something that is somewhat worth the asking price.

Its far from any sort of a comparison at all, may as well have plugged in your DVD player with s-video. Comparing the HDF2 with the internal MOOME is like comparing the screen of a Nintendo Gameboy to a Sony PS VITA.

Why doesnt a man of your talents use a bloody computer with true RGB output instead of the scaler and enjoy vastly superior quality? Unless your bluray player is an OPPO.... In which case itll be almost as good.

Either way, youve made it quite clear now that not only is your XG unwell, but youve also not given it a fair go to start with!!!

This important: Most of HD Fury's products DO NOT live up to their advertised claims, theyre built up to be awesomely capable devices, and they are not. They are no match for an internal MOOME. The external MOOME V3 however is not much better than a HDF3, the internal MOOMEs on the other hand are WAY better.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill tell you something else too, MOOME's customer service is absolute top notch, HD Fury's is almost non-exsistant. Their tech support guy seems to know little about the products, and has no idea on how to solve any issues because he is too lazy to test anything out. He just says 'please refer to the manual you can download here' and tells you its your operational error.

You email MOOME with an issue and you get real support from the guy that designed the sh**, and if it'll be an issue, he'll swap it straight up.

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running oppo - VP50- HDF2 or moome external - XG.
Its a shame Moome is not making any more XG cards. I will play with the XG on the bench with different combo's
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a PC, you will find that a properly working XG will eat an 808 alive if its set up right.

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. The Barco has the same video boards as the 919. It has 120mhz neck boards. Moome 1.4 input card, New not rebuilt green and blue P16 tubes. These tubes are the 1208/2s part numbers. I have fitted HD144 lens. I have recapped the video boards with low ESR caps. The picture is fantastic. I still have some boards I want to recap.

No Moome card available for the XG. New green tube is not cheap if I can still get one. I will work my way through the XG at some stage. Maybe a Moome HDMI card will come up for sale.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 808 has little in common with a 909, its 8" AC for a start, the 909 is 9" LC and the Cine 9 is 9" colour filtered LC, there is a huge difference right there.

The 919 is the split pack version of the 909.

The 912 is a 12" LC version of the 909.

There is also an 812, which is a 12" LC version of the 809, the 809 being the 9" LC version of what you have there. Those are simular in specs to what you have, but any starting with a 9 are a fair bit more sofisticated. The few boards it does have simular are nothing to write home about, and are exactly the boards that hold back the Cine 9.

VDC still had the correct P16s in stock for your XG, however deal with them at your own risk, and absolutely pay with paypal to keep you safe.

The issue here is youre not comparing apples to apples, youre comparing a modded 808 with an internal MOOME to a tired old XG with the clap and youre smothering it with a HD Fury 2, its like killing rock and raping roll, then still expecting it to sound good...

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case I was getting worried, you took a long time to fire back.
Mate you have to see the other side here. I have a fantastic picture on a 8inch AC set. A good video chane with HDMI input, Perfect tubes and a full set of spares to keep it going. Have you ever seen an 8inch Barco with these mods? You may even be surprised.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate yeah, i was busy playing Golden Axe on my Mega Drive.

Ive got 2x 9" LC Barcos with the same MOOME, i know what it looks like, its razor sharp, bright, good contrast ratio, and yep, ive got a pretty darn good idea of what it looks like, but im not sure if you really know just what a step up 9" LC is over 8" AC.

Im sure id be somewhat impressed with your efforts with that machine because it certainly seems as though youve done quite well, but there aint no way its going to impress me over a 9" LC, even if it is only another Barco.

I also know what my XG looked like when it was an 8" AC, with those very HD-144s you now have on your Barco, it was razor sharp, but after converting it to 8" LC, there is NO F***EN WAY id go back. The contrast ratio would have to be at least half as good again, blacks are much better, and its pretty much just as sharp. It still has better tubes, better 6 pole astig magnets, better colour balance management, better video chain listed in the specs as 150MHz, way more and better internal patterns, and a million times better convergence and geometry controls ( that last one beats every other set bar none, no one in their right mind can deny that fact )

Ive also got a really nice mint condition 9PG here too! It was a very impressive machine as well.

So i can easy appreciate your new found love for that little Barco, but what im saying is you never gave that XG a fair run either.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
better video chain listed in the specs as 150MHz

specs... maybe it is my bad carma, but out of the 8 dual chip XG1-2 neckboards I saw none gone beyond 30MHz, even the plain 9PG outperforms it!

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but that's your end, not mine Wink

Greg is dreaming if he thinks that Barco is going to have 120MHz, but i guess it had to happen, Greg!!!! Break out the test patterns mate!!! Laughing

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only need enough bandwidth to do 1080p@48. Why would I care about any more. My goal was to get the best picture I could from the Barco. Not the best test pattern. I don't watch them. To me the picture looks better than than the XG and really that's all that really matters. The boss agrees so all good.
If you want to see a test pattern send me one and I will get a screen shot. Never really played with test patterns other than setup ones.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youll probably need a PC anyway to do the patterns, ive never tried putting them on a USB and into the OPPO.

See and thats a whole nother issue, you probably DONT have the bandwidth to do 1920x1080p at 48Hz, but it should look darn good all the same.

When i switched out the tubes and neck boards in my Cine 9 i went from a reasonably good and sharp 1:1 to about as good as some others were getting out of their Cine 9s and 909s, i havent swapped anything around since to see what else i can do there.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what it used to display before:

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is worth using to check how even your focus is:

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a shot of this a little while back. This is the XG at 1080p@48

_MG_1062 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.98 KB
 Viewed:  5077 Time(s)

_MG_1062 2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: