Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Lumagen Mini3D specific question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THX-UltraII

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Lumagen Mini3D specific question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, I m looking for a pretty uncommon CMS solution which the RadianceMini 3D might be the only possible solution available out there IF it will work anyway. Let me try to explain.

I own a Passive Dual 3D projector setup by Infitec (http://www.infitec.net/index.php/en/). The system consists of 2 Epson TW9200 projectors with both projectors containing a Infitec filter; one for the RIGHT eye and one for the LEFT eye. The projectors are controlled by a Infitec splitter (http://www.amazon.de/INFITEC-HDMI-1-4-Passive-Splitter/dp/B00OFWRJPS) which has one HDMI input and 2x HDMI out (1x for LEFT projector and 1x for RIGHT projector). The problem is that it is simply undoable to get a good calibration with this setup because both projectors have it s own influence on the outcome. You cannot simply calibrate the projectors separately with a end result that is good. This can t be done because both projectors in theory should cancel out the differences they both have. In practice however the colors are just too much off. I can get the 75% color saturation ok but then the 100, 50 and 25% are WAY off for some colors. And I m talking about delta values of 15-25 here!

So....... here is a flow chart how my chain runs. What I need to know is if this will work or if I have to put the Lumagen AFTER the Infitec 3D Splitter. If this is the case, then I would theoretically need TWO lumagen mini's! But maybe it will just work fine if I put the Lumagen Mini 3D BEFORE the Infitec splitter. What is important to know: The infitec splitter has an internal color correction system where Blue, Green and Red can be adjusted. By default all three are on a 100 value but because the Infitec system causes a way too Greenish tint I do have to tune down the green value to approx 70. So this means that AFTER the Lumagen Mini 3D a green correction will be made! My thought was that if I put a Lumagen Mini 3D in my setup placed before the splitter, I could adjust the green in the first place and only AFTER that let the Mini 3D do it s job (I own Chromapure so I could buy the Lumagen add-on for CP).

Hope you guys can advise me and hope you understand what I m asking

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

From what I know about the Infinitec system, the most probable way is to use two Radiance or other CMS systems (not necessarily 3D capable) for each output of the splitter and before the projector inputs.

This is why:
The Infinitec filters work with specific wavelengths for each color that are different for the left and right channel. So, in essence, red on left has a different wavelength than red on right. The same for green and blue. Therefore the mix on the left channel will be completely different from the one on the right channel. Getting the primaries right will require different corrections between left and right...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
THX-UltraII

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I ve been to the ISE in Amsterdam today where I spoke with someone from JVC who has a partnership with Infitec. He told me to calibrate the two projectors separately but I do think that he is wrong. I ll try to explain why I think he is wrong:

From what I think the Infitec system tries to 'compensate' the color errors from the left and right projector (so the left and right eye). By trying to get both projectors calibrated separately (with eg. a Lumagen CMS) you will just lose more light then needed AND still don t end up with a good result. I think you simply cannot calibrate both projectors separately because the system works like I told you I think it works: both projectors TOGETHER compensate the deviations both have.

So somehow I do need to find out how to make this all work but hey, where do I start my investigation.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: