Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH-722Q1 RGBhv hookup to PC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TailsFurse

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Sony VPH-722Q1 RGBhv hookup to PC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
TLDR - Read last paragraph.

Hi there! TailsFurse here, with a Sony projector that doesn't seem to have to much documentation to it. The closest I can find is the VPH722. I assume there isn't to much of a difference between the two. Got this projector for 10 dollars (plus some good amount of shipping Laughing ) on eBay because it was labeled broken. Turned out it works fine! All tubes had 0 wear! So now my 10 dollar experiment with CRT Projectors, turned into something I can actually enjoy! Whoo!

About 8 years I have had this thing now, still working just as good as when I got it, with still no noticeable wear on any of the tubes. This site has helped me a lot understanding how it works, how to converge it, and even how to clean the CRT Fungus that appeared on the green tube. (That was scary reading how to do it, but actually doing it is easy!) Now comes the part I need your help.

On this projector there is three sets of inputs that I can see. VTR, Composite (BNC), and RGBhv (5 BNC).

Since getting this projector I have been using the Composite, since I have no understanding of the RGBhv or the VTR inputs.
I tried hooking the RGBhv up before via a computer VGA port, and I got something that looked like the desktop, but I couldn't figure out how to set the refresh and resolution to something the projector can actually display. Since the projector needs something along the lines of 25hz or 30hz at 720x576 or 720x480 to actually display anything.

I tried making a Component output from my laptop, and hook that up to the R G B inputs of the projector, and it worked, but only the green actually shows up. Read more info on this site and it says that is exactly what will happen, in: (FAQ: Hooking it all up). However, it was much clearer and MUCH sharper coming through that input, so now that I have gotten a taste of that, I want to actually get this hooked up right. I'm not all for HD, as I know this projector can not do HD, but an incredibly clearer SD picture, if possible, is something I would love to have.

So here is the question. Can I hook my laptop/desktop directly up to this projector with a VGA to RGBhv connection, if I can get the computer to Sync to the 25hz at 720x576 resolution, or do I have to get one of those transcoder boxes? Having a computer hooked directly to the projector would be a lot nicer. Thanks for any and all input, and thanks for a wonderful website!

-TailsFurse

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 722 is a composite video only projector and cannot take an RGB signal unless it's 320x240 resolution. It dates from about 1986, when the RGB signals we know today didn't exist.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw if you run a higher resolution signal into it, you likely will smoke the h output section of the projector.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your self an external Quad Decoder. They make a big difference in the picture quality. Then you can run Composite or S-video into the QuadDecoder and out to the projector via RGBHV at 480i.

Check out the Extron QSD 204 I have one and it's a nice unit.

Oh and you could do the reverse too:

Get an Extron VSC 500 or VSC 700 run RGBHV in from the PC and out to the projector via composite or S-video

OR buy one of each and have your own quasi-scaler set up.

PC--RGBHV--ExtronVSC--S-video---ExtronQSD----RGBHV---projector.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TailFurse, are you the same dude that posted the video of this model projector getting the tube glycol changed?
View user's photo album (21 photos)
TailsFurse

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt and Analog! I certainly don't want to smoke anything! I think for the time being I'm going to keep away from hooking up anything to this to that input. Although I can't wait too. Or maybe get a higher def set. I see Curt sells a few at entry level prices. Love older tech, the older the cooler! Projectors like these are amazing! Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond. Notes have been taken, an' I might look into getting a decoder.

UncleWill, yuh, that's me. The insides of these machines are amazing! Courage the cowardly dog was a good test to show I guess. xD Hope the video wasn't to boring for ya!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your sony have a connector like this on it?

TailsFurse

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Does your sony have a connector like this on it?

Yes, my projector has that connector. I think that one is for the wired remote that was optional for this machine? I almost came across one of those but lost the ebay auction at the last few seconds. xD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one with the cable I could let you have cheap. But, just so you know, the only advantage it gives you is an S-Video connection. But the S-video does give a little clearer picture over composite. That is why I bought it way back when. Projector is long gone.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, It was for an add on controller, (VPR722), which is what I have.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact you held on to it amazes me Wink
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
the fact you held on to it amazes me Wink

I have that same disease Curt has, packratitis. The only difference is I use a couple storage trailers and he uses his house, lol. Oh, and I occasionally part with stuff. Laughing
TailsFurse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Oh, by the way, It was for an add on controller, (VPR722), which is what I have.

I am okay on that for now, thanks for the offer though! I am looking to use that RGB IN on this thing, but I'm not to much in a hurry at the moment. The standard input is working okay right now. I have had a few different TV's with S-video input, and I could never see a difference between s-video and composite. xD Don't know if that is a good thing considering my eyes. Component I noticed a difference with though. Text and lines don't wiggle around. Thanks again though!

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TailsFurse wrote:
[ I have had a few different TV's with S-video input, and I could never see a difference between s-video and composite.

The biggest difference to look for between composite and S-video is dot crawl. Look along the edges of diagonal lines especially. Try watching a cartoon on composite then S-video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

I have some TV's where it's more apparent than others.

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to take into consideration the size of the image. Anomalies are more noticeable on larger images then small ones. Not that I'm trying to convince you to buy this VPR. I have little interest in getting involved in any part of selling it.
TailsFurse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
TailsFurse wrote:
[ I have had a few different TV's with S-video input, and I could never see a difference between s-video and composite.

The biggest difference to look for between composite and S-video is dot crawl. Look along the edges of diagonal lines especially. Try watching a cartoon on composite then S-video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

I have some TV's where it's more apparent than others.

A quick look online shows there is more than one kind of VPR-722. Some have just composite, some have S-Video. However, the pinout of the VPR connection only seems to be able to carry composite. So if I hook up S-Video on the VPR, wouldn't it look the same anyway since it only seems to carry Composite over the 14 pin VPR connection?

Also, my projector says Hi-Resolution 900 on the top. Which the manual I found for this says it means 900 TV lines. Does that mean anything for hooking up anything video wise? The manual mentions hooking up a microcomputer... I guess I mean... Can I hook up anything else to this projector? Like my old 286's and stuff? Would be pretty cool! Old school gaming on the big screen! Or would doing that fry up the projectors insides too?

I am somewhat interested in that VPR though, any idea's on a price and thoughts on that S-Video thing?

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, 15 posts on a VPH 722 is about 13 too many ! Smile

900 does refer to 900 lines of resolution.. via the RGB inputs most likely, although I don't think the plastic lenses can reproduce that. New tubes probably could.

Back in the day before VGA, some computers circa 1985 or so could output composite video via RGB and many 'high end' video projectors had RGB inputs, but only for 320 X 240 resolution as I stated above. you can't find a current video card that would output that low.

Seriously, hunt around on Craigslist for a higher end CRT. I get emails weekly from people wanting to sell me mid grade data sets, and I tell them all to put them in the freebie section of CL. I can see you're hooked, now go get a better set! Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, 15 posts on a VPH 722 is about 13 too many ! Smile

900 does refer to 900 lines of resolution.. via the RGB inputs most likely, although I don't think the plastic lenses can reproduce that. New tubes probably could.

Back in the day before VGA, some computers circa 1985 or so could output composite video via RGB and many 'high end' video projectors had RGB inputs, but only for 320 X 240 resolution as I stated above. you can't find a current video card that would output that low.

Seriously, hunt around on Craigslist for a higher end CRT. I get emails weekly from people wanting to sell me mid grade data sets, and I tell them all to put them in the freebie section of CL. I can see you're hooked, now go get a better set! Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now 17 posts ;

TF, you may be able to do 320x240 to the projector from the 286. What is the output on the 286? It's been a few years but maybe I can help.

Also you may be able to convert 480i to 240p using an Extron Emotia box.

Read here: http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
now 17 posts ;

TF, you may be able to do 320x240 to the projector from the 286. What is the output on the 286? It's been a few years but maybe I can help.

Also you may be able to convert 480i to 240p using an Extron Emotia box.

Read here: http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

and read here too: http://retrorgb.com/emotia.html

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: