Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

can i get the punch out of a G90 like a dlp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Right. Thats what I meant by "had his hands on it" Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!!!

56784288.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.78 KB
 Viewed:  1762 Time(s)

56784288.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Time to go fire up my Ampro and enjoy some trouble free and mesmerizing video. Glad I can enjoy a flick without having to fiddle with it every 10 minutes. Laughing

That is just mean man. That is just mean. Mr. Green

ecrabb wrote:

I should have simply stated that availability and price had as much to do with quality for what they chose to sell.

SC

While quality probably played a part, I would think price would have been their first consideration along with availability and ease of differentiation. But what do I know. Laughing

As Mac knows above, TSE told me one time that Ampros did a lot of things well that the Marquee didn't and vice versa. Years ago, we talked about doing an Amquee by combining the best of each.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Im giving 100:1 odds here that Craig will get results... There is way too many people praising his exploits to back any other way.

Craig himself has told me the best CRT he's ever seen was Mike Parker's own Marquee. That was a few years ago so maybe that has changed. After having seen a few ostensibly professionally set up and calibrated G90s (but not by Craig) in recent years, I have yet to see the evidence that the G90 throws a better picture than a 9500LC Ultra, even a stock one, let alone one with MP neckboards and VIM. I can't really be objective as a Marquee owner, but if I thought the G90 was capable of producing a better pic than the Marquee, I would own one. To date I have not seen the proof of that. The G90s I've seen are very sharp with excellent convergence but always seem to look slightly washed out and lacking in color and dynamic range compared to a well set up Marquee (especially an MP modded one). Maybe brute forcing the G90 with a Radiance CMS changes all that (despite other problems the processor may introduce).

I think there's a reason why back in the day Madrigal (the premium brand of Harman Intl.), who could have used any CRT, chose the Marquee. Same for Vidikron.

That said, I think most would agree that a well set up G90 will be preferred over a so-so set up Marquee. From what I've read and heard many times, a G90 is much easier to set up than the Marquee. The G90 has LUGs and electronic CPC clusters! The Marquee with its LCPs and twiddling its 2/4/6 pole CPCs is a real mother scratcher when it comes to getting as tight a beam spot as the G90 (probably impossible).

To Kurt's challenge, I think the more interesting experiment would be for Craig to work with a Marquee expert to set up and calibrate an MP modded Ultra and then compare it side by side with his own G90, using no processor on either and using the same screen, source and cable.

My money is on the Marquee. At 100:1 odds.

Wink

Im putting my money on the talent of the man, not the projector Wink

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't think that "consumer grade" DLP projectors usually have a very punchy image. The big 3 chip DLP units have punch in spades, if set up properly, but then again, they have stupidly expensive, very fine optics and some truly non-trivial lamps driving the picture. I've seen CRT setups that were substantially more punchy than consumer grade DLP units, quite a few times. I attribute this to the qualities of the optics paths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: