Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

can i get the punch out of a G90 like a dlp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
There is also iPhone apps.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:

Yeah right 2015 now... I'd say that app will blow the doors off a color reference Thumbs Up

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likes the hugs !!! Thumbs Up

ht4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.51 KB
 Viewed:  4852 Time(s)

ht4.jpg

htpan2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.75 KB
 Viewed:  4852 Time(s)

htpan2.jpg

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your Media Room Mike !!!!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

Yeah right 2015 now... I'd say that app will blow the doors off a color reference Thumbs Up

craigr

It does ok for those of us with no other means Wink

dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nash!! I'm not as knowledgeable nor do I have the eye that you and Craig have but I use my JVC 90% of the time for watching T.V. and sports. I only use the G90 for movies. I can tell you that we only watch movies maybe 2 to 3 times a month. Every time I sit down to watch one on the G90 and look up at the screen, it's like giving my eyes a rest. Almost like realizing you're not wearing your sunglasses on a sunny day..........you finally put them on and it's like "Ahhhhhhhhh.....that's better"!

And of course, the G90 and I "hug it out" after every movie!!!!! Smile
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and with that said, I would strongly suggest saving up the money to have Craig come out and work his expertise on any G90. Prior to him, I had a couple of pretty well known calibrators come out and work on my projector. None of them, NONE OF THEM, even came close to getting what Craig has gotten out of my system!!!!

It's worth EVERY penny !!!!!!

Last edited by dochlywd on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, now you are going to give Craig a big head! Very Happy

That being said, his personal G90 is probably the best calibrated G90 I have seen.Wink
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, What Spanky said !
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Craig having a big head? Very Happy

I thought Craig said either yours or Wallaces was the best G90 he had set up.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
About Craig having a big head? Very Happy

I thought Craig said either yours or Wallaces was the best G90 he had set up.

Jeff's G90 is absolutely fantastic. It performs better than I would have ever expected because the tubes are not new and he only has an old Lumagen HDQ. So he is missing out on some of the features and image quality improvements from the Radiance. That being said, his system performs incredibly well and the sume of his parts make up a really nice whole. It is honestly one of my favorite looking G90 setups.

I think Don's G90 setup with his MINI+ is fantastic. We put all new tubes in his projector about 18 months ago and it really brought things up to a whole new level. Don's also running on a slightly smaller than typical screen which adds to the light output and punch. I think I set his G90 to output about 17 flt on his screen during the last calibration. It is really smoking nice! Have you seen Don's system Eric?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Doc's theater room is wayyyyyy nicer even in person. The photos just don't do it justice. It's a really nice entertainment room.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to see it. I was only at Dr. Dog's house for the weekend and Dr. BBQ was out doing his grilling. In retrospect, I wish I would have thought about trying to get Rocco and especially Kurt over there to see it. Oh well, hopefully The Right Stuff has another meet sometime this year. Wink

One of the aspects that separates your calibration is how good yours looks in the low IRE. That seems to be one area that other calibrators struggle with among others.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I didn't get a chance to see it. I was only at Dr. Dog's house for the weekend and Dr. BBQ was out doing his grilling. In retrospect, I wish I would have thought about trying to get Rocco and especially Kurt over there to see it. Oh well, hopefully The Right Stuff has another meet sometime this year. Wink

One of the aspects that separates your calibration is how good yours looks in the low IRE. That seems to be one area that other calibrators struggle with among others.

Ill love to see that..

I have been trying to challenge Craig to a G90 VS Marquee thing where we bring a projector in parts, and have a limited amount of time to get it put together and setup. And see who will be able to get the best end result.

If he one day reads his pm, or respond to one of the posts here, and takes the challenge, ill be over there again, and everything is possible. Thumbs Up
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im giving 100:1 odds here that Craig will get results... There is way too many people praising his exploits to back any other way.

mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im giving 100:1 odds here that Craig will get results... There is way too many people praising his exploits to back any other way.

Craig himself has told me the best CRT he's ever seen was Mike Parker's own Marquee. That was a few years ago so maybe that has changed. After having seen a few ostensibly professionally set up and calibrated G90s (but not by Craig) in recent years, I have yet to see the evidence that the G90 throws a better picture than a 9500LC Ultra, even a stock one, let alone one with MP neckboards and VIM. I can't really be objective as a Marquee owner, but if I thought the G90 was capable of producing a better pic than the Marquee, I would own one. To date I have not seen the proof of that. The G90s I've seen are very sharp with excellent convergence but always seem to look slightly washed out and lacking in color and dynamic range compared to a well set up Marquee (especially an MP modded one). Maybe brute forcing the G90 with a Radiance CMS changes all that (despite other problems the processor may introduce).

I think there's a reason why back in the day Madrigal (the premium brand of Harman Intl.), who could have used any CRT, chose the Marquee. Same for Vidikron.

That said, I think most would agree that a well set up G90 will be preferred over a so-so set up Marquee. From what I've read and heard many times, a G90 is much easier to set up than the Marquee. The G90 has LUGs and electronic CPC clusters! The Marquee with its LCPs and twiddling its 2/4/6 pole CPCs is a real mother scratcher when it comes to getting as tight a beam spot as the G90 (probably impossible).

To Kurt's challenge, I think the more interesting experiment would be for Craig to work with a Marquee expert to set up and calibrate an MP modded Ultra and then compare it side by side with his own G90, using no processor on either and using the same screen, source and cable.

My money is on the Marquee. At 100:1 odds.

Wink

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:

Craig himself has told me the best CRT he's ever seen was Mike Parker's own Marquee. That was a few years ago so maybe that has changed. After having seen a few ostensibly professionally set up and calibrated G90s (but not by Craig) in recent years, I have yet to see the evidence that the G90 throws a better picture than a 9500LC Ultra, even a stock one, let alone one with MP neckboards and VIM. I can't really be objective as a Marquee owner, but if I thought the G90 was capable of producing a better pic than the Marquee, I would own one. To date I have not seen the proof of that. The G90s I've seen are very sharp with excellent convergence but always seem to look slightly washed out and lacking in color and dynamic range compared to a well set up Marquee (especially an MP modded one). Maybe brute forcing the G90 with a Radiance CMS changes all that (despite other problems the processor may introduce).

I think there's a reason why back in the day Madrigal (the premium brand of Harman Intl.), who could have used any CRT, chose the Marquee. Same for Vidikron.

That said, I think most would agree that a well set up G90 will be preferred over a so-so set up Marquee. From what I've read and heard many times, a G90 is much easier to set up than the Marquee. The G90 has LUGs and electronic CPC clusters! The Marquee with its LCPs and twiddling its 2/4/6 pole CPCs is a real mother scratcher when it comes to getting as tight a beam spot as the G90 (probably impossible).

To Kurt's challenge, I think the more interesting experiment would be for Craig to work with a Marquee expert to set up and calibrate an MP modded Ultra and then compare it side by side with his own G90, using no processor on either and using the same screen, source and cable.

My money is on the Marquee. At 100:1 odds.

Wink

Holy sh*t! I find myself agreeing with Steve Shocked Oh yeah, we aren't in the OT forum Laughing

The other thing CIR talks about (and in my experience is very true) is that you never know what you are going to get with a Marquee. When modded and set up well it can be utterly amazing but they can really be all over the place. Some great, some good, some bad and some terrible.

Kurt can tell you how many combinations of modded boards and Moome cards he has tried with results all over the map. IMO, each Marquee is a unique beast that needs to be tamed accordingly.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address some of the points.

I think Madrigal and Vidikron sourced Marquees, because they could get them cheap first and foremost. I am not sure how much Sony would have come off of their $45k list for the G90.

I will let Craig speak for himself, but he admits that a tricked out Marquee is probably better than a G90. The problem is there is a lot of variability in Marquees before one starts to mod them. It isn't VDCs fault, as they built the pjs to their customers specs.

It should also be noted how long it takes to get a fully working and tricked out Marquee. You three can attest to that.

One final thing, I believe Craig has worked on a couple of MP modded Marquees. I know he worked on Tim's blend, but I am not sure if that is modded or not. While side by side would be ideal, I am not sure it is needed at least as far as Craig needs to form an opinion. That being said, Dr. BBQ has a CIR90. The only thing needed would be a functioning modded Marquee and Craig. Hmmmm, another road trip to Dr. Dogs. MAY 1st - be there or be square!!!!! Mr. Green

P.S. - I thought TSE said adjusting magnets was easy. Laughing
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of different stuff to adress on the Marque, but knowing it a bit i think most will know what boards to use and what boards to leave.

There is some grounding who needs to be adressed, as it dont seems to be 2 Marquee grounded the same.

And then depending on build year the VIM is different, and ill say that the latest is the worse.

Also quite a lot around here have the PT22 green tube in, and that makes for a total messed up grayscale/ gamma.

*I think ill be able to make the Marquee performe more or less the same knowing what to look for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: